Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my F I never used the gear lever to shift when Im in manual mode, always the paddles.
I had a BMW Z4 with SMG transmission before the F and I never used the paddles to shift, always used the gear lever.
Im guessing because on the F the + sign is on the top and - sign on the bottom where as on my Z4 it was the opposite.
For me, keeping the - sign on the top instead of the bottom made shifting with the gear lever feel more natural.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah can be confusing, I use the (-) more often in regular driving than the (+) for my downshifts,blips,and even to slow down instead of the brakes sometimes.I tried to use the shifter on the console and it's ok but I feel more comfortable using the paddle shifters, more of a natural feel and it's quicker !! :D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I hardly ever use the gear lever to change gears, its always the paddles. I don't know why I do it but I've only used the shifter once since I got the F. In my old car, it didn't have paddles so I had to use the shifter and didn't mind it but now since I have paddles in the F, its the only thing I use to up and downshift.

I see what your saying about the - and + being reversed, its like that on most BMW's if not all right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
"I see what your saying about the - and + being reversed, its like that on most BMW's"

Let's not forget they're European,they do things backwords...:p :D

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
i mostly use the paddles, its more fun especially if your going to go fast and what not, but i downshift using the gear lever whenever im come to a stop at a light to slow down

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have driven manuals all of my life, but I never use the shifter in this car, only the paddles. Way easier to have both hands on the wheel.

·
Banned
109 Posts
The paddle shifts are quicker than the shift console! I'm stuck in traffic every day and can't get my car past 60 mph....which leads me to my next point: why did I blow 60 grand on a 12 second car that never stretches its legs?:mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started off using only the paddles but now always use the gear shifter, not sure why? I do use the paddles when I'm really pushing the car, like superfreak says, its nice to have both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
" why did I blow 60 grand on a 12 second car that never stretches its legs?"

Well why dont you drive the "P.O.S" 02-Dnian M3.--- BMW LOVER :mad:
This site is for BMW's I must be in the wrong forum :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes is kind of confusing using the console shifter since the right position for the sequential shifting is down for upshifting and up for downshifting.This is why I opted to order The Tom's Gt Shifter kit that consist on revert the shift pattern. I haven't installed yet, waiting to arrive. Will post result soon as I get to tested.

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-IS250-IS350-TOMS-TOMS-GT-SHIFTER-KIT-JDM-VIP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ42611QQihZ023QQitemZ360089323787

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well guys I install the kit all ready and it works great, and is a simply installation just remove the shift console and connect the harness an that's it. By the way it fills more sporty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
" why did I blow 60 grand on a 12 second car that never stretches its legs?"

Because when you get the opportunity to stand on it - it is so much fun.

I have been practicing using the paddle shifts as I accelerate through a turn. Hopefully I will practice enough that I don't have to think of where the + paddle is located in either a left or right turn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use the console when having to make a turn requiring a severe spin of the wheel. Too hard to keep hands on paddles when your arms are crossing. I picked up this technique while watching a professional driver racing an ISF on one of the YouTube videos. On straightaways and normal turns he paddle shifted ut on severe turns he console shifted.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I use the console when having to make a turn requiring a severe spin of the wheel. Too hard to keep hands on paddles when your arms are crossing. I picked up this technique while watching a professional driver racing an ISF on one of the YouTube videos. On straightaways and normal turns he paddle shifted ut on severe turns he console shifted.
what do you mean you use the console? honestly i still havent really used the paddleshafts until i race someone, i only occasionally use the gear box to downshift im not like 100% breaking it in now, but im still going under a bit, but will race if need to

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do! but I swapped the logic on gear shift. so pulling back shifts up and pushing up shifts down... I got fed up with putting the motor into the red every time I naturally pull back to shift up

·
Registered
203 Posts

I find that same problem with the turning and paddles. I tend to use the console more than the paddles. But I wish the console had more of a click and firm up and down feel. It is like you can move the lever down a bit...and not actually effect the gear. It needs to be crisper!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts