Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try the F-Sport rear sway bar, it is thicker (19mm vs. 16mm) and will help reduce understeer. The ride quality should be the same, but you will notice a difference in the handling. The F-Sport accessories are marketed for the IS250/350 and are at your local Lexus dealer, but this part will help the IS- F as well. You can buy the front and rear set (PTR02-53082) for $495, or just the rear bar (PTR02-53080) for $225.:cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try the F-Sport rear sway bar, it is thicker (19mm vs. 16mm) and will help reduce understeer. The ride quality should be the same, but you will notice a difference in the handling. The F-Sport accessories are marketed for the IS250/350 and are at your local Lexus dealer, but this part will help the IS- F as well. You can buy the front and rear set (PTR02-53082) for $495, or just the rear bar (PTR02-53080) for $225.:cool:
Is that price 'installed'?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that price 'installed'?
Nope just the parts. You can follow the instructions that come with, and do it yourself if you're handy with a wrench, or pay the dealer to do it (an hour for the rear or two hours for both).

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would pass on the front bar replacement, as the F-Sport bar is no bigger that the Stock IS-F sway bar @29mm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I added the 53080 Part yesterday. Like the more solid

feel the thicker bar provides. The car ride is about the same but the body roll is a bit less and the car seems to point it a bit better. I've never had the understeer problem that some speak of. But I also try not to overdrive the car into the corners and then try to turn. That produces a self imposed understeer condition so I avoid that if possible. Thr rear wheels will always want to push straight ahead. You have to give your front tire patches a firm grip so it can turn the car, and to do that you can't over power the front with the rears IMHO... You lose to much time that way and can't turn as effectively.

I think the part is worth investing in and after running the car for two days through some fast and aggressive driving in the hills, I'm glad I did it.

Note: The local Lexus dealer wanted $300 for the single rear sway bar part plus another 1 1/2 hours labor charge for the install even though it only took them 15 minutes. I spoke with the Service Manager and said the price should be more like $225.00 plus no more then 1 hour labor(their Minimum). I walked out of there $325.00 later, parts and labor included. Maybe still a bit high so "buyer beware"!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Dean, you are correct, it should cost $335 installed plus tax. I've heard some dealers trying to over charge, but that should not happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I talked to the Lexus dealership in Pleasanton, CA and the service representative said the IS-F will benefit from the following upgrades: (1) the Rear Chassy member brace -- he referred to as the subframe brace; (2) the front sway bar (even if the same size the bushings are poly and not rubber like the stock bushings); and (3) rear sway bar -- which is bigger.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I'm assuming your talking about F Sport accessories. If so, the F Sport accessories is not an upgrade to a IS-F, only the 250's and 350's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am talking about the F Sport accessories which I am told are an upgrade to certain features -- specifically the ones mentioned above (I think even the blog states the rear sway bar is an upgrade). I appreciate your thoughts...

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to the Lexus dealership in Pleasanton, CA and the service representative said the IS-F will benefit from the following upgrades: (1) the Rear Chassy member brace -- he referred to as the subframe brace; (2) the front sway bar (even if the same size the bushings are poly and not rubber like the stock bushings); and (3) rear sway bar -- which is bigger.

Any thoughts?
The F-Sport accessories are designed for the IS250/350 cars to help them perform better, but the sway bars actually fit the IS-F and the rear bar does seem to help. I don't know of the the performance advantage to the other parts, so I won't comment until I do.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had Lexus of Pleasanton install the front/rear sway bars (they came as a package) and the rear chassis member brace - $1,300 total....its makes a noticable diffence in spirited cornering!!

Also ordered the SRT intake and exhaust system...they are working on a supercharger now....will let you know what I think.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I spoke with my contacts at Lexus today, and they confirmed the F-Sport accesories was designed for the IS250 and IS350's not the IS-F. I'm interested in which way do you think it improved the vehicle?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Andy, having had the F Sport rear bar on for a full week >

and a nice road trip up the coast highway and back, I'm still glad I put the thicker, 19mm vs 16mm, rear bar on. Here is what I had said initially:

"I added the 53080 Part yesterday. I like the more solid feel the thicker bar provides. The car ride is about the same but the body roll is a bit less and the car seems to point in a bit better now. I've never had the understeer problem that some speak of. But I also try not to overdrive the car into the corners and then try to turn. That produces a self imposed understeer condition so I avoid that if possible. Thr rear wheels will always want to push straight ahead. You have to give your front tire patches a firm grip so it can turn the car, and to do that you can't over power the front with the rears IMHO... You lose to much time that way and can't turn as effectively.

I think the part is worth investing in and after running the car for two days through some fast and aggressive driving in the hills, I'm glad I did it. "

So after a full week of high speed tight daily foothill driving and a long, 100 mile, up and down the PCH road trip, I stand with my initial assesment. The car points in a bit better and there is less body roll in tight corners. I think the poly bushings help this a lot beside the thicker bar. I'm sure the poly bushings in the front would be a plus too even if the bar is the same thickness though I'd prefer to just replace the front bushings instead of paying for the bar too....

I'm going to look into the chassis brace/stiffners too...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that there have been upgrades to the l-tunedparts.com website. They just added to suspension braces I believe to help wheel bounce and make the ride more stable. Just thought I'd pass it on for those who are interested

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigMike, what do you mean by "suspension braces"? Are you talking about a brace like the lower chassis brace for the rear?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
BigMike, what do you mean by "suspension braces"? Are you talking about a brace like the lower chassis brace for the rear?
I believe thats what it is. The site is not very descriptive although there are photos. Visit the L-TunedParts.com website and select the IS-F, then the suspension tab, you can view them there.

Just wanted to pass it on to everyone who's interested

1 - 18 of 18 Posts