Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
During my Dyno testing I found the Takeda to run the lowest numbers. All dynoed on same day, with mileage between. On my Takeda the MAF mount was off and the sensor flange needed to be filed. There was also a stray filler rod from welding pushed through the bead start on the MAF flange. I feel like the mix was off as I had one occurance of a backfire in off throttle.
I am running the injen now, mostly because my stock intake with the charcoal removed started throwing out of range CEL due to turbulance and I needed an intake to throw on there. Note I ran the stock intake in the same way for nearly 2 years and it was only after dyno testing the intakes that it started have issues. I tested all three and the Injen was close to stock but stock still generated the most HP and smoothest curve on the dyno. But again, I had modified it, and it had a high flow filter. I have the Takeda for sale if anyone wants it. well below wholesale cost.
Fig

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
IMO there is not a great intake concept out there, but I did like the takeda for its retention of the 2-stage intake. My main gripe was the quality concerns and the finish on things. I also have one other person get the intake and there were not snap tabs welded on the filter shroud.
The Injen couplers are way too tight and hard to install. but overall the finish on the tubing was a lot better.
The MAF tune is the only input to massage on this platform, so its also a moving target of variables to do intake, exhaust, headers and make sure that the stock tuning assumptions still hold in parameters. If you walk out of 30% of LTFT that is when there will be issues, but the ECU has quite a range to adjust with and also great feedback.

My thoughts at the end of my experience were that the small gains from an intake were not worth the stress and argument of which was ultimately better.
If you like a 2-stage intake go Takeda
If you like more tube color options, go JoeZ
If you like the fit and finish of the shielded intake of the Injen, go with that.

Intakes are mostly noise satisfaction anyway, so pick the tone and appearance you like and move on. Just try to get the most info you can and make a decision.

The big evil here is the dyno. Same dyno, different day, different results. Take dynos as relative measurement devices because even the resistance in the bearings can throw off numbers. Its a necessary evil to provide customers with a measure.

I really like to go through the customer experience because above all I am a consumer myself and I like to test the claims of companies that market products. I felt dissappointed with both intakes I felt to be the strongest competitors in the category. I think if you make your decision and its educated and you can live with it, you will. Its much harder to admit you were wrong once its installed and driving is all I am saying, you will probably learn to like any version you get.

Fig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.