Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had owned gray color cars twice in the past, but lighter shades of gray and never showed swirl marks much. my F is around 1000 miles , i am curious if the smoky graphite will show swirl marks as it ages.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'm sure some will show some as it is a darker color. They might not stand out like they do on a black car but they will still be noticeable to you if your looking for them :cool:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Yep, it will. My Smoky Granite Mica already has some swirl marks, much to my dismay. Not bad mind you, but noticeable at certain angles.

When the weather gets better, I'm going to get out the polish and wax and hopefully that will minimize them.

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you. i should have got the silver or white. :(

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
It's a lot better than black and certainly no worse than my previous dark blue car, so don't worry about it too much. Enjoy your smoky granite IS-F. It is one of my favorite colors on the F.

I went to a Ferrari car show a few months back and even those cars had some minor swirl marks, so I don't feel so bad about my car now :)

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much like Jeff said. Take care of the car and enjoy it, it is an F after all :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Smokey Mica and have had great results using a wax called Zaino. They make a three step system, one specific for dark cars, that has minimized any swirls. Good luck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a black IS-F and I see a few swirl marks here and there, but nothing to be dismayed about. Just wax your car or have it professionally detailed once in a while to minimize the swirls, just as zanick said.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Just make sure you use the right cleaning materials for your car to prevent swirls. You can't avoid swirls 100%, but there are many steps you can do to help prevent it from looking bad. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx for all you input. i feel better already.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just be glad you don't have obsidian! I know wish I would have bought the graphite. I love my black F, but I sware everyime time I wash it (carefully w/ good products of courses) it still scratches/swirls more, no matter what I do. I would never have dreamed that my black GMC Denali truck would have more durable paint on it than my Lexus...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd say just enjoy the car, you live only once and it's just a car. I have obsidian and I know there's going to be minor imperfections (there already are a few at ~1500 miles) but that doesn't matter, people still appreciate the car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
swirls are inevitable
Actually, if you use a gritt guard, the right mitt, wash your mitt and the right techniques, swirls will be minimal at best and almost non-existent.

I don't own an ISF yet, but i see people with Bently's let these high school kids wash their cars on the weekends at the local gas station, it sort of makes me laugh. I would personally give them the $$$$ and not let them touch my car.

OP: If you already have swirls, you'll need to get some assistance from someone who knows how to use an orbital polisher or a buffer (there is a difference) to get the swirls removed, then it is just a matter of not taking the car to these car washes or letting the dealer "detail" your car.

I've been detailing my STi for the past 5 years, and I don't have swirls at all. Mind you, Subaru paint isn't as good as Lexus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A good car detailer can get any swirl marks in a heart beat, it just takes some elbow grease and the right product. II know a guy in the SoCAL area that can polish your car making it shinier than OEM, just lemme know if you want contact info. Next time i see him ill ask him what he uses to get those out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts