Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question im not sure if its my ISF or everyones if this occurs to everyone, but when you turn the wheel a complete full turn both either right or left, you hear the bearings a little bit, if you put maybe a little gas into it, does anyone hear that, it doesnt really sound right or is it me, and i should get it checked asap, as well as if i turn my wheel fully to any direction, and push on the gas somewhat alot, like i feel like the car "jumps" a little in order to make that sharp of a turn, if you understand what i am saying, if not pm me im very skeptical on whether to get it fixed or not. Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not sure if its same but when I turn full 180 the car gets sluggish as if it's kinda struggling..Is this what you mean? I think it's possible that something to do with power steering..

In any case I'm sure experts in this forum can shed some light on this..

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, when you turn the wheel to make a sharp turn, you can sometimes hear a noise correct? I have that happen as well when I make really really sharp turns, I don't think it's anything to be worried about. And as far as feeling a little sluggish when making sharp turns and u-turns, it will do that, most other cars do that as well when you have the wheels turned fully one direction or the other, nothing to be worried about :cool:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, i was just wondering ive noticed it before, but when my buddy was in the car with me and it happened hes like "whats that sound? i said it was normal, cause his dad owns a body shop and hes knows cars, but wasn't familiar with the F yet, and said your bearings or something might be messed up" so just wanted to ask. Thanks guys. Hey mike quick question what mods do you have know, pm me the answer, thanks.!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have not heard anything yet in my F, but many cars with hydraulic power steering produce a constant noise that sounds almost like a jammed motor. i believe the F has electric power steering which i am not sure will produce a noise.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Yeah the power steering rack in the F is electric. It's fluid-less unlike the old style pump version.

As for that jump or skip, it has happened to me too. I have a feeling it's more of the tires skipping or slipping when you have the wheel turned at full lock either left or right. I'll try it again later today to verify.

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
I notice it when I back out of my garage and turn around in the driveway. I thought it was either the wheels rubbing on the frame or slipping on the ground. I wouldn't think the wheels would rub since they are stock size, but I haven't climed under the car yet to look.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I must admit I haven't read enough on the F, but do we have LSD? If we do, could it be the LSD that's causing the sound, when turning at very slow speed? I personally have not heard it on my F, but my Subarus would do sort of a "cogging" sound (while turning).

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
From what I've read, the IS-F has an electronic LSD. In other words, the car uses selective braking to provide limited slip. So I wouldn't think that would be causing the weird noises.

I've noticed when I'm doing slow 180 degree turns at full lock, I get a weird noise too. I initially thought it sounded like tires rubbing to me, but it looks like that it is normal from reading this thread.

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I must admit I haven't read enough on the F, but do we have LSD? If we do, could it be the LSD that's causing the sound, when turning at very slow speed? I personally have not heard it on my F, but my Subarus would do sort of a "cogging" sound (while turning).
There's no mechanical LSD in the IS F as mentioned. It's an electronic LSD which is operated by both ABS and VSC.

It's definitely the tires and the angle they're at when turning at low speeds. Think of a 18 wheeler trailer and the truck is making a sharp turn. The inner tires skip around as the outside wheels of the radius complete the turn.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Good stuff Flip. Thanks for checking on it for us! I'm sure it was nothing to be worried about but you never know! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts