Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of blacking out the car. One of the things im thinking about blacking out is the exhaust tips. However, a friend of mine told me that painting the tips is a nightmare because of the heat the paint chips off.
My question is, since the tips are not exactly attached to the exhaust system do I risk having that problem about the paint chipping off?

Last question, i know this is depending on my personal taste but would most of you go with flat back or glossy black? My car is black and I can't decide....

THanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'll go for flat black. I guess high heat paint should do the job. I also can't figure out why the tips are not attached to the main pipes, I wish someone can expalin. I'm so tempted to connect them, just so when one follows me from behind, it'll be more impressive than saying...what is that!

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
According to the folks at Lexus, the rear exhaust tips act as diffusers, to help with aerodynamics. In my opinion, they're not connected because the OEM exhausts are pretty heavy. In fact, if you ever see a regular 2IS or 3GS driving down the road on a bumpy freeway, you can see them bounce up and down due to the rubber hangers being soft. Like the LS, the IS F's exhaust tips are not connected.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Flip, I buy your explanation more than the diffuser stuff. The diffuser argument sure sounds like it came from a salesman cum engineer. I know business is hard but.... he he he.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of blacking out the car. One of the things im thinking about blacking out is the exhaust tips. However, a friend of mine told me that painting the tips is a nightmare because of the heat the paint chips off.
My question is, since the tips are not exactly attached to the exhaust system do I risk having that problem about the paint chipping off?

Last question, i know this is depending on my personal taste but would most of you go with flat back or glossy black? My car is black and I can't decide....

THanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you or the shop painting them uses a high temp paint, you should be alright with regards to paint chipping. My experience is that they don't get extremely hot but do warm up. Have you tried removing the tips yet? I've tried and couldn't manage to get them off, they're a pain.

If you do get them off, I would go with glossy black to match the rest of the car although flat black could look good as well

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
IS-F exhaust tips 101 as it was explained to me at the launch training in Feb. 08. : During testing of the IS-F, they originally had a classic twin tip can design it but at high speeds the car became so unstable at high speeds because of the turbulence that developed in that area of the car the test drivers told the engineers that they needed to change something to make it more stable at higher speeds. So, through testing we now have the current configuration of quad stacked exhaust tips with diffuser panels around them and air foils under the trunk belly. This significantly changes the air flow in that area of the car and made it much more stable at high speeds! Seems plausible to me. Another nice indirect feature is if you back into something at low speeds it won't jack the whole exhaust system.
As far as painting the tips, I believe they are stainless steel so I would definitely scuff them up before painting to help adhesion with a high temp paint. I would use gloss or satin black unless you have other flat black pcs. on the car. (my 2 cents)

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
Being steel that you are painting you will want to scuff the tips and even alodine the before painting. This will help the paint bond to the tips better.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Doug and Flip are correct. Lexus did not connect the tips for a good reason. Stick to "If it's not broken, don't try to fix it" for this one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Very interesting...good to know! I was considering getting a custom exhaust system done locally.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ah very nice! When I get my custom intake and exhaust done, I will have dyno runs before and after so I know the output. Stay tuned...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts