Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have not done them since I have not bought my car yet, but my research shows that an axleback exhaust system and an intake will give the car more power.

For smog purposes though, you'd have to take the intake off since it's not C.A.R.B approved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
JOE Z exhaust & intake pipe in black and a drop in filter

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Won't pass smog without the 2 rear cats. I wouldn't do this on a CA car.
You really don't know that. I agree it may be a crap shoot. They do a visual, and may or may not notice that the rear cats are not there. They do an OBD scan, that will show nothing, and the emissions from the tailpipes will be within an acceptable range. It may very well pass.

Lou

·
Registered
151 Posts
Won't pass smog without the 2 rear cats. I wouldn't do this on a CA car.
Smog Test's are every 5-6 years for new cars sold in Cali.. ;)

If your going to make a statement like that, then you might as well know that there AREN'T any C.A.R.B approved aftermarket exhausts or intakes for the IS-F :eek:

Joe Z

·
Registered
377 Posts
Smog Test's are every 5-6 years for new cars sold in Cali.. ;)

If your going to make a statement like that, then you might as well know that there AREN'T any C.A.R.B approved aftermarket exhausts or intakes for the IS-F :eek:

Joe Z

Joe, I really respect you and your company, however I lived in CA for 17 years now and owned 3 modded cars. I come from a car that is heavily enforced upon when it comes to smog (WRX STI).

The 6 year role is correct (6, not 5), however once the car is sold to the second owner (which would be me, since I'm not buying a new one), the 6 role no longer applies and you have to smog the car every 2 years from there on. Trust me, I've owned 3 modded cars in CA.

I check the K&N website weekly to see when these clowns will finally get the intake C.A.R.B approved, but so far it doesn't look like it's happening.

Please tell me something I don't know.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Joe, I really respect you and your company, however I lived in CA for 17 years now and owned 3 modded cars. I come from a car that is heavily enforced upon when it comes to smog (WRX STI).

The 6 year role is correct (6, not 5), however once the car is sold to the second owner (which would be me, since I'm not buying a new one), the 6 role no longer applies and you have to smog the car every 2 years from there on. Trust me, I've owned 3 modded cars in CA.

I check the K&N website weekly to see when these clowns will finally get the intake C.A.R.B approved, but so far it doesn't look like it's happening.

Please tell me something I don't know.

Cheers,

P.

Thanks P.

My response was to your original post....

You probably won't ever see CARB approved intakes for such a low volume car.

What you stated was: "Won't pass smog without the 2 rear cats. I wouldn't do this on a CA car."

Right now there is not one CARB approved product for the IS-F.

So basically we shouldn't ever mod our IS-F's in Cali :confused:

With that in mind, any intake or exhaust installed on an F can fail a Visual Smog Test in CA and in most strict States..

I can tell you right now our exhuast easily passes a sniffer test with out the 2 secondary cats in place.. Along with the basic OBDII test, since no CEL lights are thrown on.

In your case, you should mod away with your IS-F..
Then you just slap the stock intake back on for the biennial smog test..

We are all just here to share information :)

Joe Z

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is no legal intake right now.

The only legal exhaust is the Borla axle back.

The JoeZ exhaust will pass the OBDII and sniff test, but you will fail on the visual. Therefore, it is an illegal exhaust in CA because the two rear cats were removed. If you have the JoeZ exhaust, just swap your stock system back in and get your smog test done.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks P.

My response was to your original post....

You probably won't ever see CARB approved intakes for such a low volume car.

What you stated was: "Won't pass smog without the 2 rear cats. I wouldn't do this on a CA car."

Right now there is not one CARB approved product for the IS-F.

So basically we shouldn't ever mod our IS-F's in Cali :confused:

With that in mind, any intake or exhaust installed on an F can fail a Visual Smog Test in CA and in most strict States..

I can tell you right now our exhuast easily passes a sniffer test with out the 2 secondary cats in place.. Along with the basic OBDII test, since no CEL lights are thrown on.

In your case, you should mod away with your IS-F..
Then you just slap the stock intake back on for the biennial smog test..

We are all just here to share information :)

Joe Z
I think we are on the same page Joe. And yes, I will be modding my IS-F.

I will be modding cars until my last day on the planet.

Real quick, how loud is your street exhaust compared to Borla? Sorry, can't tell from Youtube videos....

Regards,

P.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I made some phone calls today, to see where is the IS-F intake market is headed.

K&N was not really clear on wherever they are going to make this intake C.A.R.B legal and make it for other years.

AEM was much more helpful on the phone and also sent me to this link where I can register for updates for products of my vehicle. The Rep said the IS-F is on the list, but the C.A.R.B part is another ballgame and may take a little while.

Here is the link, if we can generate enough interest, it will help:

http://www.aemintakes.com/products_needed/default.aspx?yr=2011&mk=LEXUS&md=IS350&en=3.5L

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based off this text pulled form CA DMV, even if the car is sold as long as its not sold after 4 years from its original reg date the original 6 year smog abatement is still in effect...still not clear.

So on a one owner car that is 6 years old, would the smog be due on the 6th year or 8th??

Smog Information
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident, diesel powered vehicles manufactured in 1998 or after with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

•The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.

•A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.