Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just washed my car the a couple days back, and after this i'm getting noise from the back to wheels when the car moves, like closing the door or getting out of the car. When I drive the car there is no difference in braking or anything, so I don't know what the problem is. When I grab the back rims and try to shake it the back and forth, I hear a little cracking kind of noise from inside the wheel, and this is for both wheels. I try the same thing on the front wheels and there is no noise. I've never heard it before, so should I take it to the dealer or have any of you guys have any incite on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I owned my car for about a month now but I don't think I have enough owner's experience to say anything about it. Do you have the tire and rim warranty? If you feel uncomfortable with it, best bet is to bring it back to the dealership and have them take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Interesting. So it is a cracking noise when your getting into or out of the car or when your closing the doors but you don't notice anything when driving?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Do you have your parking brakes engaged when you hear this noise?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks flipside, I never thought it could be the parking brakes. Infact I always use parking break even if not parked on a driveway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was told by a mechanic that I trust not to ever use the parking brake, unless on a really steep hill. He said the transmission will not be hurt, even on slopes. He did say something about using the parking brake consistantly has potential problems, I forgot why. I know, not much info or reasoning, but I don't use mine anymore on any car. Of course, this only applies to automatic trans. How many miles on your car? maybe using the brake consistantly has caused the noise? either way, have it checked out if you are still under warranty

·
Registered
475 Posts
All cars have parking brakes because it's a safety feature that everyone should use. I don't understand why it would cause problems...
Have the dealer check your wheels, PC1990.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks flipside, I never thought it could be the parking brakes. Infact I always use parking break even if not parked on a driveway.
Yeah, I get a creaking noise or a slight metallic groan from my rear brakes when I get into the car, especially on a slight incline. You may want to check with your Lexus service department and see if they can make adjustments to tighten the parking brake engagement.

It's smart to use the parking brake as it's not good to put a load on the parking pawl (the mechanism in the trans that keeps your vehicle from moving forward/backward). It's cheaper to replace brakes than the trans. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have heard that if you have been driving your car hard and your brakes are very hot after a heavy run that you should never use your parking brakes as they can cause warpage, and damage to your brakes. If you are operating the car 'normally' (whatever that means) then it would be okay to engage them as long as they are not too hot.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I have heard that if you have been driving your car hard and your brakes are very hot after a heavy run that you should never use your parking brakes as they can cause warpage, and damage to your brakes. If you are operating the car 'normally' (whatever that means) then it would be okay to engage them as long as they are not too hot.
How is that? The parking brakes are actuated in the rear inside the drum. Toyota uses a drum/disc rear combo. The rear calipers don't lock down on the rotors so there's no way for the rotors to warp.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In my experience what Molson said is true. I'm one who does not use my parking brake after a long drive especially after hard driving. But from what flipside said, then it's oK. My evo's hand brakes work the same way.

·
LexusF.com Moderator
390 Posts
I agree with Flip. Take a look at your rear brakes sometime. There's a drum within the rear discs, which are the parking brakes. It's like that for all of Toyota with rear discs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts