Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took one out for a test drive yesterday, the guy kept telling me "i dont want the lexus" blah blah blah, the m3 is infact much slower feeling then the isf at lower end. high end i still think we got it! we'll have to see once theres more 3's and f's on the road all together

·
Registered
258 Posts
The main difference is that a Lexus will drive forever if they're taken care of.A beamer is very expensive to maintain and will break down after 4 years.Plus a Lexus has more luxury than the plain ugly cockpit of a beamer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've only seen one v8 M3 in the city so far. Looks like it was being delivered to a dealership in NJ. I am happy with my purchase but I look forward to running against the new M3. On another note, this C63 wanted to see what my "F" had to offer but I really wasn't in the mode. I was expecting the C63 to be a bit faster off the line.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I've "played" with a few M3's around, and I love to see their face when the IS-F just pulls on them and then when I am slowing down, I always make sure I blip it down ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
One of my friends has a ZO6 Vette 6spd and he was able to stay with me by the nose of his car side by side.Plus the car is about 800lbs lighter.No BMW's yet, a few WRX'S and EVO'S have been looking though.You can tell they dont know what to expect because they know it's a beast.They just stare or give a thumbs up! My baby's garaged-just a weekend or one day a week ride so I dont beat it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of my friends has a ZO6 Vette 6spd and he was able to stay with me by the nose of his car side by side.Plus the car is about 800lbs lighter.No BMW's yet, a few WRX'S and EVO'S have been looking though.You can tell they dont know what to expect because they know it's a beast.They just stare or give a thumbs up! My baby's garaged-just a weekend or one day a week ride so I dont beat it up.
No offense, but I own both an IS-F and a C6 Z06, and my Z06 is so much faster that it literally runs away from my IS-F... the IS-F is a sweet & quick daily driver, but let's be real. Frankly the IS-F actually feels kinda slow to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The main difference is that a Lexus will drive forever if they're taken care of.A beamer is very expensive to maintain and will break down after 4 years.Plus a Lexus has more luxury than the plain ugly cockpit of a beamer.
I would completely agree. I do like the look of the new M3, but the interior just doesn't do it for me or ever has! Lexus has does a great job to give the ISF a "mordern look" to the cockpit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
"No offense, but I own both an IS-F and a C6 Z06, and my Z06 is so much faster that it literally runs away from my IS-F... the IS-F is a sweet & quick daily driver, but let's be real. Frankly the IS-F actually feels kinda slow to me."

Well, I'm sorry for your "F" because maybe you dont know how to handle it properly! When your at a light put it on sport mode,in manual drive,with one foot on the brake and another on the gas pedal and punch it !!! Then see where your Z06 will be!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
No offense, but I own both an IS-F and a C6 Z06, and my Z06 is so much faster that it literally runs away from my IS-F... the IS-F is a sweet & quick daily driver, but let's be real. Frankly the IS-F actually feels kinda slow to me.
Hmmm.....Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like the IS-F ought to feel faster than it does. Seat of the Pants (SOP) impressions are not exactly accurate representations of how fast a car is accelerating but my SOP appraisal is that there is not the explosive, head slammed into the headrest sensation that one might expect from 416 horses.

Perhaps the car is so smooth that brutal actual acceleration feels diminished. Perhaps the car is too heavy. Perhaps I'm afraid of changing my tires every 6 months and do not hit the brake and accelerator simultaneously before launch. Clearly, more study on my part is required.....if only people will get the Hell off of my roads!

·
Registered
8 Posts
"No offense, but I own both an IS-F and a C6 Z06, and my Z06 is so much faster that it literally runs away from my IS-F... the IS-F is a sweet & quick daily driver, but let's be real. Frankly the IS-F actually feels kinda slow to me."

Well, I'm sorry for your "F" because maybe you dont know how to handle it properly! When your at a light put it on sport mode,in manual drive,with one foot on the brake and another on the gas pedal and punch it !!! Then see where your Z06 will be!!
I think you've been smokin too much of your own stuff... frankly I'll see next time I take it to the track which one is truly quicker... there really is no basis to your statement though, as there is nothing to do to "handle" an IS-F. It's a plainly simple car to drive fast, where as the Z06 is much harder to control as it can easily have too much wheelspin & slow the launch. I have several cars that I track & occasionally act as driving instructor for some car clubs, so I'm sure you must be a much better driver with your IS-F...

Please, just stop dreaming... the Z06's can run high 10's in the quarter, and the best time for IS-F's is high 12's. Like I said, the IS-F is a sweet ride & it is fast, but it's not _that_ fast. I suppose you think it can beat a 599 too? Maybe your buddy needs to learn how to drive his Z06 if he couldn't beat you by much... Your opinions can't change facts or the laws of physics. Let's see, a lower HP/Torque car that's heavier, with smaller tires, can beat a car with much better HP/Weight ratio & has been proven quicker many times... hmm.

·
Registered
258 Posts
" It's a plainly simple car to drive fast, where as the Z06 is much harder to control as it can easily have too much wheelspin & slow the launch."

EXACTLY, that's the point!! I'm not going around a track or even the 1/4 mile, I said we raced(on the street) and yes I got a better jump on him and was able to keep my lead.Now IF we did race on a 1/4 mile for sure the vette would win!!, but this was my friend and I on a street.I also used 99 octane which helps the car run a little better.I'M STATING FACTS NOT PHYSICS!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Awaiting the TRD Supercharger

I am anxiously awaiting the TRD supercharger. Once installed, my F with 625 +/- hp and with the right tires should give any Corvette (including the ZR-1) a run for their money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
" It's a plainly simple car to drive fast, where as the Z06 is much harder to control as it can easily have too much wheelspin & slow the launch."

EXACTLY, that's the point!! I'm not going around a track or even the 1/4 mile, I said we raced(on the street) and yes I got a better jump on him and was able to keep my lead.Now IF we did race on a 1/4 mile for sure the vette would win!!, but this was my friend and I on a street.I also used 99 octane which helps the car run a little better.I'M STATING FACTS NOT PHYSICS!!
So now some more data to the story comes out... you never said you got a jump on him the 1st time. At least that makes more sense, but if he knew how to drive & launched anytime close to your launch he should have caught up & passed you if you ran it for more than a block. He probably saw you get a jump on him & over reacted, got too much tire spin, then when he finally hooked it took him longer to catch up. And the laws of physics are what governs how any car goes, so you can't really have one without the other. But that's also why I don't place much credit in street blasts, as it's tough to know how it really goes down. Many times it does turn into the luck of the draw & who goes first. Somewhere near me there's probably some punk kid in a Corolla that thinks he's as fast as my Z06, since he was trying to pass me and I just gave it just enough gas so he couldn't, but not enough to pull ahead of him. Other times I just hit the gas for about 3-5 seconds and I'm so far into the "arrest me now" zone that I lift & brake... then the other guy goes flying by a few seconds later. Does that mean he's faster too? Cause he can pass me after I'm slowing down after I put 5-10 car lengths on him?

I am anxiously awaiting the TRD supercharger. Once installed, my F with 625 +/- hp and with the right tires should give any Corvette (including the ZR-1) a run for their money.
I'm sure that will be one h**l of a kit! On the street that should give anything a run for the money. But on the track or any kind of sustained use, where you open it up for a little while I don't think it will be as fast as you think, or as fast as the ZR1. Remember that thing is conservatively rated at 638HP and 604LB/FT of torque and is approx 600+lbs lighter than your IS-F will be with a s/c. Physics still applies here too, and A=F/M, so his greater force & less mass wins. It also has larger tires for better traction. The only real chance you'll have is to catch him in the wrong gear since the IS-F auto will downshift reasonably quickly.

Also, even if the TRD kit makes 625HP (which would take around 8-10lbs of boost), how long do you think the cast pistons of an 11.8:1 engine like the 2UR-GSE in the IS-F will handle that? Everything I've seen says the pistons are cast, so you really can't push it too much with boost. That kind of peak power will have to be short lived. They will have to pull it back to keep the engine & the rest of the drivetrain alive. But I'm sure it will make for fun street blasts!

Don't think I'm slamming the IS-F... heck, we just added one to our small fleet of cars, I just want to keep it real with the claims. The IS-F is a very fast & cool ride just as it rolls off the showroom floor. The simple fact that it's a toss up as to whether an M3 or IS-F will win at most any given track event is a great compliment to Lexus, especially for a first effort. There's no need to do more brow beating to hype how fast it is. Someone else will always build a faster, cooler car next week, so just enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
258 Posts
So now some more data to the story comes out... you never said you got a jump on him the 1st time.

I didn't think I had to tell the whole DETAIL to the story but let me explain to Mr. Bowtie.My friend
has a 2004 Z06 with a 405hp engine.I did say we were side by side and I was ahead by the nose of his car had we gone any further he would've gone right past me EASY! The second light was our marker and it was at night on a side street.I could understand the confusion but I'm not here to write paragraphs maybe next time I will explain FULL detail to get the story straight!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, even if the TRD kit makes 625HP (which would take around 8-10lbs of boost), how long do you think the cast pistons of an 11.8:1 engine like the 2UR-GSE in the IS-F will handle that?

First of all,TRD would not put something in that would damage the car!It would have to last just as long as the vehicle's warranty and thensome.
Second of all, the pistons are made much lighter and stronger than any of the other IS'S including the IS300 which has the famous engine in it borrowed from the Supra.Maybe you should attend a training class from Lexus on how this car is built, they will explain everything to you and I'm sure you have more knowledge about this car.I work for Lexus and attended these classes and was amazed myself at how much detail was put into making this car, alot of parts are made of Titanium and aluminum and are built to last!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I checked with the service department at my Lexus dealer. They said that if/when TRD develops the supercharger for the IS-F and it is dealer installed, the warantee will not be impacted.

The early numbers I had seen on the ZR-1 was in the 550 - 600 hp range, and yes, I understand the power to weight impacts. Still, it would be fun to see the shock on the ZR-1 driver's face if a docile looking street car (the IS-F) stayed even close to him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Seat of the Pants (SOP) impressions are not exactly accurate representations of how fast a car is accelerating but my SOP appraisal is that there is not the explosive, head slammed into the headrest sensation that one might expect from 416 horses."

I just wanted to point out that torque not horsepower is what you feel and what slams your head into the headrest. Sorry, I just had to throw that in.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Couple things: No way in hell that a new stock Z06 is running in the tens I don't care what tires are being used. Find a slip from the drag strip and i will be the first to eat my crow; Low 11's are the best and that is flat out awesome. IS-F is a sedan with an automatic transmission so the fact that the two are being compared is inane. A new C6 however is on paper running the exact 1/4 mile times and one tenth slower 0-60 according to road and track June issue despite a 600 lbs weight advantage. I've seen C6's launch and they spin hard so it's pretty much a drivers race.

Also, in regard to the TRD kit...there is no way the stock automatic transmission could handle that much power to the wheels and would have to be strengthened/modified. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, in regard to the TRD kit...there is no way the stock automatic transmission could handle that much power to the wheels and would have to be strengthened/modified. Just my two cents!

Well from what I hear there is a kit coming,and this transmission is built for speed that's why they installed it with a tuned engine instead of any other tranny.Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah...about the M3, I don't want to get into the BMW vs. Lexus fight (Im with Lexus) because both cars are amazing. But I will step forward and say that they styling and luxury features of the IS-F are significantly better than any BMW interior I've seen thus far. But heck, I would take either car as they are both made for serious driving, I would just prefer the Lexus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts