I've had my '08 SGM F for several days...still getting to know the car and haven't driven it a lot, maybe 400 miles, but, thought I'd give my very initial impressions...yours may vary considerably from mine and that's o.k. As a reference, I am coming from a VW GTI that has the DSG tranny.
- The interior lighting is very dim...at night with black interior, hard to see inside the car.
- Would like to have a feature that my VW has, courtesy 3 blinks of the signal when you flick the turn signal stalk up or down. Really nice when switching lanes and I've gotten very used to it.
- Turn signals in mirror would be nice....
- Steering wheel seems a bit thin to me...I'd like slightly thicker and less slippery. Not sure if the leather on my wheel was hit with armor all or something as part of a detail before me getting the car, but it feels slick.
- The mark levinson so far has not impressed me like I thought it would...I admit that my adjustments have been made while driving the car with one eye on the road...I really need to sit down and fine tune this I guess.
- I think the springs could be lightened up by 20-30% for a little more compliance...would really like to see an EDC option on the next iteration of the car...give us comfort, normal or sport with the push of a button.
- Parking assist...the warning sensors work more to the side/front and there are none for directly ahead on either side of license plate...seems odd....I was messing around testing these in my garage to see when they would go off and nothing happened directly ahead...
- Rattle may be developing....need to listen more intently.. Hey, it's a Lexus...no rattles ever, right?
- Motor is awesome, v8 burble at idle is awesome, and above 3600 is STUPENDOUS. I can't keep my foot out of it.
- Brakes seem robust.
- Like the 8 speeds...2K rpm at 75 on freeway is nice.
- Sport mode and paddles work well together. I like what Lexus has done with the tranny and I am coming from a car that has a really good DSG.
- I can check the oil level via an old fashioned dipstick. Don't laugh (look at a new 3 series lately?)
- Interior is gorgeous IMO. Simplified beauty, not overdone, and classy.
- Seats are very comfortable and supportive.
- Gauges at night seem like artwork to me. Best of any car I've been in so far.
- Love the adaptive headlights.
- I like all the standard features that are options on many other cars.
- Wheels are some of the best looking factory jobs I've ever seen.
- Don't see these on every corner, ala TL, etc.
Price/performance/features/quality - this car has it over many others in the class. I am impressed with what lexus has been able to accomplish on their first try. I bought this car because I wanted a reliable, quality built, adult muscle car that could hold more than 2 people (and came with a great reputation for service and a quality dealership network.) The pricing and financing on the '08's make it a bargain IMO. I can't wait to see what they do for the next chapter on this one.