Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Moisture in headlamps

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  symbol-f 
#1 ·
Any of you get moisture in your headlamps? I have some particularly on the left. Any tips short of replacing them?

#3 ·
If you're not covered under the warranty and want to try a DIY fix before replacing them, search around a few car forums for instructions on "baking" headlight housings to take them apart. I have never done this personally, but have seen multiple posts over the years with step-by-step instructions, which usually involve putting the housing in the oven.

#4 ·
oarngemig's issue is that his car is gray market car as it was imported from the US to the Philippines. Lexus in the Philippines will not service any gray market Lexus from my recollection.

Your best bet is to obtain a new set of headlamps either here in the states, used or new, or source them direct from your local Lexus dealer there in PI.

#5 ·
Interesting, this is the second time in a few days I've heard of moisture in the headlamps on an F....do you have any more details? moisture inside or out? pics?

#8 ·
Pat, very interesting...have you had severe changes in temp like we've had up here? I'm curious as to why so many people are getting it and yet others aren't....Flip, can you help out?

Are you having the dealer fix it?

Flipside is correct, mine is a grey a import and Lexus here most likely will not cover it. I asked the service advisor and his explanation was... These HIDs have vents somewhere in the assembly to dissipate heat. Couple that with the change in temp once you turn on the lights... creates moisture. Ngeea... sounds ho hum to me. I just can't imagine Lexus (Japan) thinking in those terms when they designed these lights. He also said that with the lights on for a few minutes, the moisture will disappear. Such has not been the case so far. I don't know if it's because the car is washed quite often.

Bedsides, your temp changes there are more extreme especially now that it's winter, but how come none of you guys have the same problem?
I'm interested to know why some are getting moisture and others aren't as well...seems interesting....I don't have any moisture buildup (knock on wood) and we've had extreme (70 degrees in the afternoon to 30 degrees in the same night) weather changes multiple times the fast few weeks here....are your lights perhaps not sealed properly and open/cracked?

#7 ·
Flipside is correct, mine is a grey a import and Lexus here most likely will not cover it. I asked the service advisor and his explanation was... These HIDs have vents somewhere in the assembly to dissipate heat. Couple that with the change in temp once you turn on the lights... creates moisture. Ngeea... sounds ho hum to me. I just can't imagine Lexus (Japan) thinking in those terms when they designed these lights. He also said that with the lights on for a few minutes, the moisture will disappear. Such has not been the case so far. I don't know if it's because the car is washed quite often.

Bedsides, your temp changes there are more extreme especially now that it's winter, but how come none of you guys have the same problem?

#9 ·
I will have to check if it is properly sealed. I have not touched anything since I bought it and certainly this car has not been in an accident. My right side used to be fine but I noticed recently that some moisture build up is also starting to occur. Moisture emanates from the extreme outer corner. Bummer.

Since we're on the subject of headlamps et al, do yours shake/vibrate when driving on rough roads? Mine do. It probably has something to do with the self adjusting mechanism.

#11 ·
Took my car to Sterling McCall Lexus here in Houston (where I bought it) and they ordered me a new headlight assembly. Didn't say anything about cost so I assume that it will be covered under warantee. This is the first problem I have had with my ISF in almost 2 years and 42,000 miles.

Pat

#15 ·
Glad to hear they are taking care of it Pat and thanks for keeping us updated. Were you able to ask about what causes such moisture to occur/buildup?

I will have to check if it is properly sealed. I have not touched anything since I bought it and certainly this car has not been in an accident. My right side used to be fine but I noticed recently that some moisture build up is also starting to occur. Moisture emanates from the extreme outer corner. Bummer.

Since we're on the subject of headlamps et al, do yours shake/vibrate when driving on rough roads? Mine do. It probably has something to do with the self adjusting mechanism.
Are you going to order new headlights to get rid of the moisture or wait it out to see what happens?

And yes, sometimes mine shake/vibrate when driving on very rough roads. I don't think anything of it

#13 ·
i have seen this type of issue on my other cars; 95' GS300 01' Prius and 93' JDM Supra and the only logical reason i can come up with is humidity and constant changes on external temperature. i can also speculate on a possible manufacture defect on certain headlight assemblys - so far i have not had the same experience on my 09' F

geees

#16 ·
Just wanted to add in as well, I had the moisture problem twice, and both times it was covered for the isf under the warranty. I live out in Queens, NY and usually getting serviced in Long Island. There were no problems at all, both times were covered without spending a dime. I am absolutely sure this problem is covered under the car's warranty, providing that the warranty is still available for the car.

Oh and btw, the second time I believe, the moisture built up came right after a car wash, so you could possibly trace your problem to that, although i'm guessing it's more of a manufacturer's defect.

#17 ·
Yeah my moisture comes out after washing. Lexus here says it's because of a vent in the assembly where moisture may come in. And yes, I think it's a design issue.

Mike, I'll just sit it out before I replace it since I don't have warranty here anyway. C'est la vie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.