Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to few friends of mine who are fans of the F and in general of mods they told me that it's NOT good idea to modify the F with the Turbo or the SC kit due to the cutting the Engine Life span..
Obviously it's common sense that once any engine mod it will work the engine hard but does it really cut the life span on it?

What do you guys think, especially all those who own modded cars on this forum..Opinions please..

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
After talking to few friends of mine who are fans of the F and in general of mods they told me that it's NOT good idea to modify the F with the Turbo or the SC kit due to the cutting the Engine Life span..
Obviously it's common sense that once any engine mod it will work the engine hard but does it really cut the life span on it?

What do you guys think, especially all those who own modded cars on this forum..Opinions please..
A03, In my opinion I think your friends are on the right track. In my experience of modded cars with mainly turbos, the owners have experienced problems with reliability and longevity. (sounds like my problem as I get older, different forum:cool: ).
Mostly due to the fact that they can't control themselves with the amount of boost thrown at it. I think if you keep the boost levels moderate you can achieve an increase in hp and still keep reliability in either application. Highly recommend a reputable tuner though! I understand compression ration can play a big role in longevity as well (related to boost pressure). The IS-F comes with 11.8:1 compression from the factory. I would research and ask questions of the guys who have done it. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
126 Posts
ya, more hp and torque just equals more strain on the engine hence the shorter engine life.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I think its also the corner cases that most tuning does not take into account. The addition of failure prone components can cause boost spikes over the long term and eventually get into mixture issues with static map tuning. It seems like that why every manufacturer tests in CO, to devlop good dynamic maps. The high elevation compensation and the changes in air temp mean you can have a broad swing on your mixture. Sometimes colder air means it will surpass the density at sealevel, even if its higher elevation. Turbos and SC systems also introduce heat. Heat is by far the worse enemy of any engine, but even moreso with aluminum blocks and tight tolerance on the cylinder bores. My thought is that unless I am building a purpose-built vehicle, I would rather have the long term reliability over the power. If I can make the weight ratio more favorable, the car will not only be faster, but more fun to drive as well.
Plain and simple, you can get more power out of anything with forced induction, but it comes at the price of long term reliability and gernerally more maintenance.

Fig

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealing with a Double Edge sword here!!:( :(

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dealing with a Double Edge sword here!!:( :(
Its always the case. I think the best appraoch with the ISF is to lower static compression to 9:1 via internals and then adapt a screw compressor with a heat exchanger internal to it. Keep the boost to 6-9PSI and tune the factory ECU. This is how Toyota has maintained the longevity and kept the warranty on the 5.7L Tundra. I think the key is to be extremely conservative and to leverage the factory testing and maps wherever possible. Larger injectors and larger fuel pump are the only upgrades required on the Tundra. We just need someone to go through the painstaking process.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its always the case. I think the best appraoch with the ISF is to lower static compression to 9:1 via internals and then adapt a screw compressor with a heat exchanger internal to it. Keep the boost to 6-9PSI and tune the factory ECU. This is how Toyota has maintained the longevity and kept the warranty on the 5.7L Tundra. I think the key is to be extremely conservative and to leverage the factory testing and maps wherever possible. Larger injectors and larger fuel pump are the only upgrades required on the Tundra. We just need someone to go through the painstaking process.
Lot of work Bro!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
so do any of you guys know when the sc for trd coming out for the is-f, and if so when will that be. i am dying to get it on is-f

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
so do any of you guys know when the sc for trd coming out for the is-f, and if so when will that be. i am dying to get it on is-f
That was only a rumor, TRD isn't releasing anything for the F last I heard. I would be surprised to see anything for the F, let alone a supercharger, come out for the F anytime soon

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was only a rumor, TRD isn't releasing anything for the F last I heard. I would be surprised to see anything for the F, let alone a supercharger, come out for the F anytime soon
Artisan and Greddy backing out now? Honestly I think I'm gonna just get the Joe Z exhaust and call it a day..

BTW how's it working out for you Mike?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Artisan and Greddy backing out now? Honestly I think I'm gonna just get the Joe Z exhaust and call it a day..

BTW how's it working out for you Mike?
I was only talking about the TRD Supercharger. If I remember correctly, one of the biggest problems with with Artisan and Greddy FI parts was that they were unable to tune the ECU once they had the chargers on (please correct me if I'm wrong, JoeZ and Flipside went to SEMA so they know more then I do). I never heard anything about them actually planning to release their charger setups, only that they were one-off's for SEMA....who knows though, has anyone tried to contact them?

I don't have the Joe Z exhaust yet, I'm waiting on his intake tube and will order the exhaust soon. A lot of people are ordering his exhaust though because it isn't too loud keeping it a Lexus while having a serious growl when pushing it WOT. Have you seen the video's yet? Heard the exhaust? I'm sure you have, it sounds really good imo. I also want to keep the stock tips, which the JoeZ allows me to do. Another thing I like is that I can talk to the maker himself about any questions or problems I might have with the products, which is a huge plus for me. For those who don't, Tenabe has an exhaust out for the F that gets rid of the stacked tips.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was only talking about the TRD Supercharger. If I remember correctly, one of the biggest problems with with Artisan and Greddy FI parts was that they were unable to tune the ECU once they had the chargers on (please correct me if I'm wrong, JoeZ and Flipside went to SEMA so they know more then I do). I never heard anything about them actually planning to release their charger setups, only that they were one-off's for SEMA....who knows though, has anyone tried to contact them?

I don't have the Joe Z exhaust yet, I'm waiting on his intake tube and will order the exhaust soon. A lot of people are ordering his exhaust though because it isn't too loud keeping it a Lexus while having a serious growl when pushing it WOT. Have you seen the video's yet? Heard the exhaust? I'm sure you have, it sounds really good imo. I also want to keep the stock tips, which the JoeZ allows me to do. Another thing I like is that I can talk to the maker himself about any questions or problems I might have with the products, which is a huge plus for me. For those who don't, Tenabe has an exhaust out for the F that gets rid of the stacked tips.
I meant to say Artisan and Greddy backing out as well? But back to the Joe Z Yeah, like I've seen it more than enough times while while back..
Also I looked into tanabe but I didn't see anything..Hm..:confused:
It's always ECU issue with Toyota's..Oh well!
I'm sure you'll post a video of the Joe Z exhaust upon installation and how it's working out so Mike, keep us posted..:D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I meant to say Artisan and Greddy backing out as well? But back to the Joe Z Yeah, like I've seen it more than enough times while while back..
Also I looked into tanabe but I didn't see anything..Hm..:confused:
It's always ECU issue with Toyota's..Oh well!
I'm sure you'll post a video of the Joe Z exhaust upon installation and how it's working out so Mike, keep us posted..:D
Haha, I will for sure post vids or sound clips as I get it and can find some time to get it installed or install it myself :)

You can always email the companies (Artisan and Greddy) to see if they have any plans but last I heard both weren't releasing anything anytime soon.

Tanabe posted pictures of their exhaust on an F, let me see if I can find them (see first link)....it is also under their application guide for the Medalion Touring system as coming soon (see second link).

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/398909-official-r-and-d-completed-medalion-touring-exhaust-for-the-is-f.html

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/exhaust_applications.asp?id=7

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, I will for sure post vids or sound clips as I get it and can find some time to get it installed or install it myself :)

You can always email the companies (Artisan and Greddy) to see if they have any plans but last I heard both weren't releasing anything anytime soon.

Tanabe posted pictures of their exhaust on an F, let me see if I can find them (see first link)....it is also under their application guide for the Medalion Touring system as coming soon (see second link).

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/398909-official-r-and-d-completed-medalion-touring-exhaust-for-the-is-f.html

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/exhaust_applications.asp?id=7
Not bad at all..:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts