Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Only by a very slim margin:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090319/autos_dependability.html

I don't think Lexus reliability actually dropped (ok maybe for the GS series), it's just that the other 2 brands improved A LOT. Still, I never thought I would see this in my wildest dreams...an Indian owned UK brand beating out Lexus?

Anyhow we can all assume Lexus is going to give it all 200% to gain the top spot back shortly.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
It saddens me to see Lexus lose the top spot, but it seems like Toyota/Lexus were too focused on expanding market share and dropped the ball on quality a bit. Hopefully within a year or two, Lexus will be back on top.

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
It's good to see those guys stepping up their game, competition results in great products for the consumer!

quote from this article: The numerical differences between brands that crowd the top are extremely small. For example, Jaguar and Buick owners reported an average of 122 problems per 100 vehicles, while Lexus owners reported 126 and Toyota 129. At the bottom, Suzuki owners reported an average of 263 problems per 100 vehicles.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's good to see those guys stepping up their game, competition results in great products for the consumer!

quote from this article: The numerical differences between brands that crowd the top are extremely small. For example, Jaguar and Buick owners reported an average of 122 problems per 100 vehicles, while Lexus owners reported 126 and Toyota 129. At the bottom, Suzuki owners reported an average of 263 problems per 100 vehicles.
could it be that barely anybody buys jag or buick. other then my grandma who used to have a buick i dont know anybody that has either brand, and i very very rarely see either on the road...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree its good to have competition... Besides it makes the market larger for reliable cars.. and more for us to pick from :)

·
LexusF.com Moderator
390 Posts
i wouldn't put too much into that. how many cars does toyota sell annually? almost a million combined for toyota motor corp. (toyota, lexus, scion). not sure how many each brand sold individually. jaguar sold 14,000 and buick 128,000. considering the numbers production-wise, toyota motor corp. does extremely well compared to the rest.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
i wouldn't put too much into that. how many cars does toyota sell annually? almost a million combined for toyota motor corp. (toyota, lexus, scion). not sure how many each brand sold individually. jaguar sold 14,000 and buick 128,000. considering the numbers production-wise, toyota motor corp. does extremely well compared to the rest.
Excellent point. The survey is per unit sold. And since everything took a crap this year, the statistical sample size was reduced for GM (and in their favor) their ratio improved. IMO Toyota still have unequaled quality per unit volume, this meaning for the total volume of cars and the rate of production, the quality is hard to beat. Assembly rate has a big impact on quality and I think if a car spends 15 more minutes on the line the manual assembly steps can be done with more care. I watched the BMW line in Munich and the complexity is amazing. But the level of manual assembly is still prevalent.

Thanks for bringing the link to our attention.
Fig

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Not surprised for the 3rd Gen GS. I had one...and it was in for warranty many times on a windshield rattle and a few various interior trim rattling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts