Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 08 IS-F with 16k miles on it. However, I've had a terrible time with the brakes! The dealer tells me there's a TSB on the shim kits and brake pads but they've been replaced in the 2 weeks that I've owned it! The car goes back to the shop tomorrow for another assessment... Is this going to be a constant problem for me or is the Lexus dealership a bunch of idiots?!?

·
Registered
141 Posts
How bad is the squeeking? Hot and/or cold? All speeds? A little noise is to be expected from high performance brakes but if it's bad enough to have to take it to the dealer I would vote that they are idiots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just squeaks all the time, when the cars cold, warm, going fast, going slow.. all the time.
I had a G35 before this car and had no problems with my brakes, and they were high performance too.
I feel like I have a lemon.

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
Did you bed in the brakes? Brembo's are known to squeek quite a bit. Mine squeeked for quite a while and even took several beddings over a couple of months to get them to stop.

The other thing you might want to have checked is your rotors. They might be warpped to the point that you can't bed-in the pads properly. Just a thought.

As far a Lexus dealerships go, not too many of them a familiar with high performance parts and don't know what to expect. You might think about bringing your car to a performance shop and ask them to take a look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought an 08 IS-F with 16k miles on it. However, I've had a terrible time with the brakes! The dealer tells me there's a TSB on the shim kits and brake pads but they've been replaced in the 2 weeks that I've owned it! The car goes back to the shop tomorrow for another assessment... Is this going to be a constant problem for me or is the Lexus dealership a bunch of idiots?!?

I tried to upload the PDF but this forum has a ridiculously small limit for them. Google: L-SB-0044-10.pdf which describes the issue if you want to know more about it.

I just had my car in for this and they replaced both the pads and shims. After bedding them, the squeak has returned. It happens from about 10mph-0 on light deceleration - basically when crawling in traffic, which happens 50% of the time I'm in the car. It's really annoying and is going back to the dealer later this week for additional troubleshooting.

My RS 4 did this with Brembos as well, but a few stomps on the pedal at freeway speeds solved the issue. So far, no go with the IS F.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys :)
Whenever I take my car to the dealer they look at me like I'm crazy.

I also sit in traffic for 50% of the time I'm in the car and it's embarrassing when your windows are down and so are everyone elses and theres a horrid squeal. No one wants that or enjoys it.

I'm going to take the car into the dealer this weekend since I don't want to waste this beautiful day on the dealership.

I'll try to bed in the brakes but maybe mine didnt squeal in my G35 because it was a 6spd and I barely used the brakes...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried to upload the PDF but this forum has a ridiculously small limit for them. Google: L-SB-0044-10.pdf which describes the issue if you want to know more about it.

I just had my car in for this and they replaced both the pads and shims. After bedding them, the squeak has returned. It happens from about 10mph-0 on light deceleration - basically when crawling in traffic, which happens 50% of the time I'm in the car. It's really annoying and is going back to the dealer later this week for additional troubleshooting.

My RS 4 did this with Brembos as well, but a few stomps on the pedal at freeway speeds solved the issue. So far, no go with the IS F.
L-SB-0044-10

July 2, 2010

Rear Brake Squeak
Service Category
Brake

Brake (rear)

Market
USA

Applicability

Introduction

Some 2008 - 2010 model year IS-F vehicles may exhibit a squeal or squeak noise from the rear of the vehicle when lightly applying the brakes. A new rear brake pad kit has been made available to address this condition.
Section

Warranty Information

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
^ This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

^ Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.

Repair Procedure
1. Conduct a road test to verify the noise condition. Noise usually occurs during stops with light pressure applied to the brake pedal.

2. Remove and replace the rear brake pads and anti-squeal shims with the updated parts.

For complete removal procedures refer to the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable model year IS-F Repair Manual:
^ 2008 / 2009 / 2010 IS-F:

Brake - Brake (rear) - "Brake (Rear): Rear Brake: Removal"

For complete installation procedures refer to TIS applicable model year IS-F Repair Manual:
^ 2008 / 2009 / 2010 IS-F:

Brake - Brake (rear) - "Brake (Rear): Rear Brake: Installation"
NOTE

^ When replacing rear disc brake pads, the anti-squeal shims MUST be replaced together with the pads.

^ When applying grease per the Repair Manual, use the grease enclosed with the rear disc brake pad kit or supplied grease: Part # 90998-94072.

3. Road test the vehicle to confirm the rear brake noise condition is NO longer present.

Digger08

1 - 10 of 10 Posts