Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
i decided not to get a lift yet, mainly because my tv of old blew up and i went and spent 3800 on a new one so i dont want to spend another 3k for a lift. im not going to let some shop i dont trust install my headers, there are no shops around here that are very reputable. im not going to pay what would likely be just short of 1000 for an install i can do. i dont have enough header wrap, by the time i get the rest of it and finish the wrapping them it will be the end of next week. next weekend i have a course all weekend taking up most of my time, the next weekend after that is the middle of september, i only insured my car until october this year because i dont drive it in the winter. whats the point in putting headers on for about 2 weeks then having to tuck it away. and assuming they even fit (alignment wise for the exhaust) and if the dipstick even fits that might have to be modified too. so who knows how much down time would be needed if things need to be changed, then i could be without car for the rest of the driving season anyways. when i made this thread i had absolutely no idea that i would have to modify the headers straight out of the box, now that i have handled them no way in hell would i install them as they come from sikky. i wasnt going to wrap them, but my friend who owns a performance company (small just around here) said he wraps all headers he installs for a variety of reasons, so i thought what the heck why not. i will encourage more companies to make parts for the ISF as long as they are QUALITY pieces.

doublexi I advise you not to use header wrap as SIKKy's header is made of ceramic coated mild steel and will rust and corrode faster. Also mild steel is not as sturdy as stainless steel where the wrap can damage your Header.

·
Registered
434 Posts
doublexi I advise you not to use header wrap as SIKKy's header is made of ceramic coated mild steel and will rust and corrode faster. Also mild steel is not as sturdy as stainless steel where the wrap can damage your Header.
this is news to me.... about the non-stainless that is....where did you find this info

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
hahah... WOW!!!! doublexl, take a magnet to them... If they are 304 tubes they will not be magnetic, mild steel and 409(lower grade) stainless are magnetic. Headers should NEVER!!!!!! EVER EVER EVER be made of mild or 409... Well at least if you want them to last.

P.S. Our are 100% 304 stainless, TIG welded, and CNC Flanges...

·
Registered
434 Posts
hahah... WOW!!!! doublexl, take a magnet to them... If they are 304 tubes they will not be magnetic, mild steel and 409(lower grade) stainless are magnetic. Headers should NEVER!!!!!! EVER EVER EVER be made of mild or 409... Well at least if you want them to last.

i did this even before you said it. the magnets stick on everything except the new dipstick.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
same as chineese stuff:rolleyes: but from sikky

·
Registered
191 Posts

Thats funny because the stock headers are also mild steel and guess what they aren't even ceramic coated and I'm sure they would last the life of the car. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone read post #55 about ceramic coated mild steel headers...I wrote an article of the differences somewhat.

Here's a link on how I found out what material SIKKY's header is made of. Scroll down the page and see what the application section...

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/sikky/sikky-headers.asp

·
Registered
118 Posts
this is news to me.... about the non-stainless that is....where did you find this info

read post #55 and about advantages and disadvantages on Ceramic coated mild steel headers vs 304 stainless steel.

This is where I found the info. Scroll down to see applications...I spent alot of hours of research to find out what material they are made of.

Thats funny because the stock headers are also mild steel and guess what they aren't even ceramic coated and I'm sure they would last the life of the car. ;)

That's not the point Caymandiver as your spending mad money for an item that would rust in 1-2 years...This is why most high end manufactures make their headers out of 304 SS over Ceramic coated mild steel...IMO your paying overpriced for SIKKY Headers where other Ceramic coated mild steel headers cost 1/3 or less of it's price... I'm pretty sure the oem headers are made of a higher grade steel then just mild steel. Well looks like I gotta spend hours of research again to find out what they are made of lol...Also Ceramic coated mild steel headers will eventually crack over time if not re ceramic coated when it rusts and that's going to be a hefty cost for labor on un and re installing them...They also can't take extreme high heat like over 1500+ degrees as well as 304 SS would.. Anyhow I'm glad I did my research before purchasing Headers and sorry but I hate to say this looks like SIKKY just made a huge profit off you guys...

·
Registered
191 Posts
So you are implying the factory exhaust won't last more than two years? Not only is that rediculous, but here we have ceramic coating on top of mild steel for even more protection. Also, the price you pay is performance for the dollar. I'll let you know in two years how they are holding up.:rolleyes:

read post #55 and about advantages and disadvantages on Ceramic coated mild steel headers vs 304 stainless steel.

This is where I found the info. Scroll down to see applications...I spent alot of hours of research to find out what material they are made of.

That's not the point Caymandiver as your spending mad money for an item that would rust in 1-2 years...This is why most high end manufactures make their headers out of 304 SS over Ceramic coated mild steel...IMO your paying overpriced for SIKKY Headers where other Ceramic coated mild steel headers cost 1/3 or less of it's price... I'm pretty sure the oem headers are made of a higher grade steel then just mild steel. Well looks like I gotta spend hours of research again to find out what they are made of again lol...Also Ceramic coated mild steel headers will eventually crack over time if not re ceramic coated when it rusts and that's going to be a hefty cost for labor on un and re installing them...They also can't take extreme high heat as well as 304 SS would.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So you are implying the factory exhaust won't last more than two years? Not only is that rediculous, but here we have ceramic coating on top of mild steel for even more protection. Also, the price you pay is performance for the dollar. I'll let you know in two years how they are holding up.:rolleyes:

Did u read my post carefully? I said I'm pretty sure the OEM exhaust manifolds are made of higher grade steel then low grade mild steel..Yes you are right about you do pay for performance on Ceramic coated Headers due to holding in the heat for better exhaust flow but that's what Header wrap is for on stainless steel. This is why most racing teams wrap stainless steel headers to get that performance...Downfall on Ceramic coating is it chips and flakes over time... also good luck to you and let us know how much per few yrs your labor and repair bill costs for re coating them;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
K I just researched our oem whole exhaust system from exhaust manifold to back is made of "stainless steel"...doesn't say what the grade was but it's made of ss..

OEM entire exhaust system specs:

The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
K I just found out our oem whole exhaust system from exhaust manifold to back is made of "stainless steel"...doesn't say what the grade was but it's made of ss..

OEM entire exhaust system specs:

The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.
Throw a magnet on the OEM and see what happens. Also guys better watch what you post without getting your facts together first. You are on the verge of "slander" with little to no understanding of your actions. The post about the "possible" credit card issues comes to mind along with all the other shit that's been posted targeting "SIKKY". These venders pay to be here and are real companies that depend on products and service to make a living to support their families. GROW UP!

ps. Where are the forum moderators!? This site has gone to shit lately and I'm on the verge of deleting every post I ever made and taking my support elsewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Throw a magnet on the OEM and see what happens. Also guys better watch what you post without getting your facts together first. You are on the verge of "slander" with little to no understanding of your actions. The post about the "possible" credit card issues comes to mind along with all the other shit that's been posted targeting "SIKKY". These venders pay to be here and are real companies that depend on products and service to make a living to support their families. GROW UP!

ps. Where are the forum moderators!? This site has gone to shit lately and I'm on the verge of deleting every post I ever made and taking my support elsewhere.

I'm not trying to bash here Caymandiver I'm just trying to help for you and others to choose wisely on mods... as I did all my research before posting anything and I will try and find a magnet and try to see if the cats stick but I can barely get under my car as my car is quite low to the ground. Also if the exhaust system is made of 304L SS then it won't stick but I don't know if other grades of SS are magnetic or not...Hopefully someone can check...Don't you have your oem manifolds laying around somewhere? Try sticking a magnet to it and see what happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not trying to bash here Caymandiver I'm just trying to help for you and others to choose wisely on mods... as I did all my research before posting anything and I will try and find a magnet and try to see if the cats stick but I can barely get under my car as my car is quite low to the ground. Also if the exhaust system is made of 304L SS then it won't stick but I don't know if other grades of SS are magnetic or not...Hopefully someone can check...Don't you have your oem manifolds laying around somewhere? Try sticking a magnet to it and see what happens.
I already did the magnet trick on the stock manifold and it's very magnetic. Which is why I posted my previous.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I already did the magnet trick on the stock manifold and it's very magnetic. Which is why I posted my previous.

K i just researched this and stainless steel can be magnetic depends on this:

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

I just placed a magnet on my primary cat and it stuck but the magnetic force was not strong...So I would believe it's made of SS and has a bit of these materials as stated above in it. Chromium and nickel compounds in stainless steel prevents corossion and rust.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok I just did another research on OEM exhaust manifolds. Here is what I got.

In most production engines, the manifold is an assembly designed to collect the exhaust gas from two or more cylinders into one pipe. Manifolds are often made of "Cast Iron" in stock production cars, and may have material-saving design features such as to use the least metal, to occupy the least space necessary, or have the lowest production cost. These design restrictions often result in a design that is cost effective but that does not do the most efficient job of venting the gases from the engine. Inefficiencies generally occur due to the nature of the combustion engine and its cylinders. Since cylinders fire at different times, exhaust leaves them at different times, and pressure waves from gas emerging from one cylinder might not be completely vacated through the exhaust system when another comes. This creates a back pressure and restriction in the engine's exhaust system that can restrict the engine's true performance possibilities.

There's no way production cars would use lower grade mild steel for their exhaust manifold as it would not last the lifetime of the car. To even think Lexus would use low grade mild steel for our oem manifolds? Now that's ridicilous... Either the ISF's oem manifolds are made of cast iron or some grade of stainless steel.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.