Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats some crazy story and crap from Sikky(JE)...Sikky fully ignored sending the Headers to Elite for you...They surely didn't want Andy to see the poor quality and the realistic Dyno results from them... I knew all along that Sikky's Header's dyno plot were inflated...Also everyone who has gotten 40whp from them all got them installed at JE/Sikky...Eric didn't u say u had to modify something to make yours fit? Also everyone who said Sikky's Header made more power then Elites are dumb as Elite's made 30whp on a Dynamics...Can't compare dyno plots as Dynamics reads much lower then Dynopack/Dynojet...After hearing all this BS about Sikky I've made up my decision here and go for Elite's Headers instead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Caymandive does make a good point but I have to disagree on one of the points. IMO it would make no difference if Elite's Headers were finalized because like what Splat stated that the Headers were finalized at that time and they were dyno'd and tested. Only thing that wasn't finished was ceramic coating them which won't make any difference in hp gains during their short tests. It will only make a difference during long drives in terms of providing less heat. Also somewhere on this forum I remember reading that Sikky agreed to do back to back testings with Elite. In the end bad customer service is one thing but on top of that for Sikky not being 100% honest just made things even worse. Lexusguy just get your deposit back and move on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well you are all complaining about sikky and one of the complaints you have is that nobody make the advertised power for sikky's headers except on their dyno but nobody has show what the Elite ones can do either. Caymandiver is THE ONLY person here that has 3rd party results and IMO thats the only reliable source of information. Furthermore I read the thread and nowhere did andy agree to have it done by a third party it was sikky that brought it up and other members but not one post confirming it. Unless it came from the horses mouth everything is hearsay.

Like I said I have nothing against Elite, I look forward to their work on the supercharger. (How about some cams too? :D) I just dont like to see companies bashed for having the common sense not to willingly and knowingly give their product over to a competitor.

Now here u sound very defensive about Sikky. Anyhow of coz others including myself would complaint about the hp gains which others made and we didn't...We depend on those dyno plots and we take notes and advice and make our answers from for choosing the right mod. Also no $hit noone else has dynoplots for Elite's header as there not even published yet...Also everyone including myself would of bought Sikky's due to the 400 dollar price difference. Now I don't want to sound like the bad guy and I'm not bashing on Sikky in anyway with their products and KUDOS to their success but all it took was some honesty if they didn't want to send the header directly to Elite. They should of been straight up with Lexusguy instead of all this sneakyness phonecalls and bs excuses they kept making with him. It also goes wrong on Lexusguy's side too as he should of just got the headers sent to him then send it down to Elite if he really wants to see back to back results.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I fully agree and another thing about quality issues IMO that for others to say nothing was wrong with it was absurd. There are a handful of ppl here that have the headers already. 3 of them which were installed by JE/Sikky which probabely didn't really get to take a full 100% examination on the headers before they installed it. Then 4 others that bought the Header seperately. 3 members out of the 4 had quality issues. PIRATE1 had his with dipstick welded in wrong place and he said the quality was not nice, doublexi had bad raised welds and gaskets would not align properly and Bullterrier said the quality was so so which the flanges could of been machined better and he has a "dent" in his header and also said things had to be modified prior to install. Now assuming the dent came from shipping but to me that's some bad packaging and handling from Sikky's side. Ok now that's not just a coincidence from 3 members to all have quality/fitment issues. That's an actual problem with the Header itself. Now I know nothing is perfect but for that kind of money that's unacceptable. At first I was going to buy Sikky Header due to the price being a little bit cheaper but now if they don't fix those issues I'd rather spend a bit more for something that was perfected. Now I can't really say Elite's would be perfected yet as noone has them yet but time will tell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats great you didn't have a problem with the headers. Seems like the verdict with the quality and fitment issues would be 50/50. You might get a good one or a bad one but if that's the case Sikky really needs to check their finished batches of Headers throughly before sending them out. Myself will not risk spending 1500+ on a item and later find out I got a bad one...Hopefully Sikky will resolve this issue and maybe I might try out their header.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why has Sikky not posted to this thread:confused: This has turned into a he said - she said, with no word from the manufacturer and a site sponsor. This seems odd to me.

Lou

I was suspicious and thinking this too...This is quite a matter to them and they haven't posted nor replied to this issue...This could ruin Sikky's reputation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hope Sikky knows about it and they probabely somewhat do know but IMO how can they fix it now? They already made 50+ headers and probabely sold most of them so I don't think they be taking back say estimate of 30-40% of them that have quality/fitment issues. All they could do now is make the next new batches better with no flaws. This is why I usually never rush into aftermarket parts that first come out unless the company was big and known and well reputative. No offense to SIKKY but I've never heard of them til these Headers came out. Anyhow the first generation makes of aftermarket parts usually have all the flaws in them. This is why alot of aftermarket parts comes out with different versions like version 1,2,3 etc...they always end up making them better. To me Sikky's Header seemed rushed into production. R&D was only 4-5 months? Any modding company can make a header but perfecting it could take years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I called over to Sikky and inquired about the headers last week. I found them to be nothing but helpful and professional. This week I had my headers installed at JE who showed the same level of customer service. I'm not trying to get tangled up anything, I would just like to say that I was extremely impressed with both companies, the product, and the service.

In addition, I actually received a call a few days after the install to check on my satisfaction with the product. I cannot be happier.

IMO of course Sikky and JE would be very helpful to you as you directly bought the Header and got it installed from them. Did you even get to fully examine the header quality itself? Assuming you went there and brought your car in and Sikky/JE installing it right at the spot. They probabely let you take a quick glance at the Header itself then installing it immediately without letting you fully examine it. This probabely happened to everyone else who got the Header installed by JE so technically they can't really say anything about the header quality itself. The thing is I have not yet seen any others with the Header show close up pictures of the ports and flanges besides doublexi. Only other pics I have seen of the Header are just the outside piping and ppl saying it's good quality... At least they called and asked if everything was ok after. Anyhow congrats on your Header.

Here is a link of an example of how a top quality header should look like. Header is made by J's racing Japan for S2000. They show close up shots of the welds, ports, flanges etc. This company has been around for a long time and has racing history. They took 2+ years of R&D to perfect this header. I had this header before on my s2000.

http://www.jsracing.co.jp/js3/index.asp?xMODE=SHOP&xSW=3&xBLAND=1&xSHASHU=4&xPARENT=41&xNO=XA-S1&xKEYWORD=

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you ask me those J racing headers look like crap aside from the nice polished look with no ceramic coating. Look at how they are piece mealed together compared to the SIKKY ones, which are mandrel bent all the way through to the collector.

SIKKY

Yes doublexi your correct they are a step header design which is why they aren't mandrel bent all the way through to the connector, they are a 4-2-1 header and they are made from a high quality lightweight SUS304 stainless steel...Caymandiver they aren't ceramic coated because it's made out of stainless steel. Ceramic coated headers aren't made of stainless steel they are made of mild steel. Alot of high end headers are made of stainless steel over ceramic coated due to durability. Also all headers starts off looking like that with all the welds...but with the J's header you can see that the flanges are machined flat and the ports are complete smooth circles. With SIKKY's the ports are so uneven and it seems like they just welded the flanges around the ports without machining the ports properly and the ceramic coating hides all the flaws and welds making it superb looking. Basically ceramic coating can make any shit quality header look like a million bux. Also if u think J's racing is crap obviously you have not seen and handled many other high quality headers in your life time...Your the first person I've ever heard saying J's racing is crap while thousands of car modders use them. Try googling them and you won't even find one bad word about them...J's Racing is a international Racing team and not just some tuning shop. Their success in the Racing world back up there parts.

Here is a link of 20+ different Header companies from low to high quality for the S2000.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=634406

Count how many are ceramic coated? IMO alot of high end manufactures don't make ceramic coated headers because for one the durability, 2nd if you want both SS and CC it's gonna cost you which most customers won't pay, 3rd a header is like a work of art to them and ceramic coating will just hide all their hard work and craftmanship as most high end headers are each welded and pieced together by hand. Ceramic coated Headers have their advantages and disadvantages. Advantages is it's a tad lighter, reduces engine bay heat and keeps the heat in the header which will give better exhaust flow but that's an easy fix with the stainless steel header as racers usually wrap them which does the same thing with holding in the heat. Disadvantages is most cheap ceramic coated headers are made of mild steel which makes it prone to rust and can crack easier at the welds. Once the ceramic coating chips and flakes off corrosion and rust will happen so they don't last as long. So if you live in a rainy/snowing winter city you'd be better off with a good quality 304 stainless steel header as 304 stainless steel is rust proof and would last you a lifetime. 304 stainless steel would cost alot more but IMO it's worth the money. It would be good if the header was made of stainless steel then ceramic coated but that would cost you way more then $1300. For looks I prefer a header with just polished stainless steel over ceramic coated as it gives it more of a raw look over the ceramic bling factor look. Also a stainless steel header will change color to a blue tinge look when it heats up.

Here are two same headers, 1st pic is the oem Polished Stainless steel look vs 2nd pic custom ceramic coated look. Which looks better? I think the ceramic looks cheese but you be the judge.

Here again are shots of the poor machining on the flanges/ports on the Sikky Header. In all seriousness honestly all you guys think and say this is good quality???

doublexi's Header

PIRATE1's Header

Here are shots of nicely machined flanges and ports.

See the difference now? Hopefully to those who think SIKKY's header was nice quality could see the quality issues with the flanges/ports...

One more thing about the quality of SIKKY header is FYI SIKKY Header is made of mild steel Ceramic coated and uses a stainless steel vband flange. So beware once it rusts it's game over unless your willing to pay the hefty labor costs of pulling off your header every 1-2 years to get them re ceramic coated then installing them back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mods. IMHO, what has to be said has been said. This thread has turned ugly and, again IMHO, should be closed.

Lou

Yes this has turned ugly but IMO to SIKKY that has not addressed to this matter is also unprofessional. They are a Vendor on here and there is no way they wouldn't know about this matter. Also to everyone that has success with the Header congrats to all of you but in honesty if a few members have problems with fitment/quality issues and are not gaining the hp that everyone else dyno'd on JE's dynopack don't u think that's a problem? Just put yourselves in their shoes that are having the problems with the header. Also on top of that what makes it even more fishy is SIKKY not replying to this thread...1550 views 6 pages 60 replies and not even one reply from SIKKY...

·
Registered
118 Posts
i decided not to get a lift yet, mainly because my tv of old blew up and i went and spent 3800 on a new one so i dont want to spend another 3k for a lift. im not going to let some shop i dont trust install my headers, there are no shops around here that are very reputable. im not going to pay what would likely be just short of 1000 for an install i can do. i dont have enough header wrap, by the time i get the rest of it and finish the wrapping them it will be the end of next week. next weekend i have a course all weekend taking up most of my time, the next weekend after that is the middle of september, i only insured my car until october this year because i dont drive it in the winter. whats the point in putting headers on for about 2 weeks then having to tuck it away. and assuming they even fit (alignment wise for the exhaust) and if the dipstick even fits that might have to be modified too. so who knows how much down time would be needed if things need to be changed, then i could be without car for the rest of the driving season anyways. when i made this thread i had absolutely no idea that i would have to modify the headers straight out of the box, now that i have handled them no way in hell would i install them as they come from sikky. i wasnt going to wrap them, but my friend who owns a performance company (small just around here) said he wraps all headers he installs for a variety of reasons, so i thought what the heck why not. i will encourage more companies to make parts for the ISF as long as they are QUALITY pieces.

doublexi I advise you not to use header wrap as SIKKy's header is made of ceramic coated mild steel and will rust and corrode faster. Also mild steel is not as sturdy as stainless steel where the wrap can damage your Header.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone read post #55 about ceramic coated mild steel headers...I wrote an article of the differences somewhat.

Here's a link on how I found out what material SIKKY's header is made of. Scroll down the page and see what the application section...

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/sikky/sikky-headers.asp

·
Registered
118 Posts
this is news to me.... about the non-stainless that is....where did you find this info

read post #55 and about advantages and disadvantages on Ceramic coated mild steel headers vs 304 stainless steel.

This is where I found the info. Scroll down to see applications...I spent alot of hours of research to find out what material they are made of.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/sikky/sikky-headers.asp

Thats funny because the stock headers are also mild steel and guess what they aren't even ceramic coated and I'm sure they would last the life of the car. ;)

That's not the point Caymandiver as your spending mad money for an item that would rust in 1-2 years...This is why most high end manufactures make their headers out of 304 SS over Ceramic coated mild steel...IMO your paying overpriced for SIKKY Headers where other Ceramic coated mild steel headers cost 1/3 or less of it's price... I'm pretty sure the oem headers are made of a higher grade steel then just mild steel. Well looks like I gotta spend hours of research again to find out what they are made of lol...Also Ceramic coated mild steel headers will eventually crack over time if not re ceramic coated when it rusts and that's going to be a hefty cost for labor on un and re installing them...They also can't take extreme high heat like over 1500+ degrees as well as 304 SS would.. Anyhow I'm glad I did my research before purchasing Headers and sorry but I hate to say this looks like SIKKY just made a huge profit off you guys...

·
Registered
118 Posts
So you are implying the factory exhaust won't last more than two years? Not only is that rediculous, but here we have ceramic coating on top of mild steel for even more protection. Also, the price you pay is performance for the dollar. I'll let you know in two years how they are holding up.:rolleyes:

Did u read my post carefully? I said I'm pretty sure the OEM exhaust manifolds are made of higher grade steel then low grade mild steel..Yes you are right about you do pay for performance on Ceramic coated Headers due to holding in the heat for better exhaust flow but that's what Header wrap is for on stainless steel. This is why most racing teams wrap stainless steel headers to get that performance...Downfall on Ceramic coating is it chips and flakes over time... also good luck to you and let us know how much per few yrs your labor and repair bill costs for re coating them;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
K I just researched our oem whole exhaust system from exhaust manifold to back is made of "stainless steel"...doesn't say what the grade was but it's made of ss..

OEM entire exhaust system specs:

The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Throw a magnet on the OEM and see what happens. Also guys better watch what you post without getting your facts together first. You are on the verge of "slander" with little to no understanding of your actions. The post about the "possible" credit card issues comes to mind along with all the other shit that's been posted targeting "SIKKY". These venders pay to be here and are real companies that depend on products and service to make a living to support their families. GROW UP!

ps. Where are the forum moderators!? This site has gone to shit lately and I'm on the verge of deleting every post I ever made and taking my support elsewhere.

I'm not trying to bash here Caymandiver I'm just trying to help for you and others to choose wisely on mods... as I did all my research before posting anything and I will try and find a magnet and try to see if the cats stick but I can barely get under my car as my car is quite low to the ground. Also if the exhaust system is made of 304L SS then it won't stick but I don't know if other grades of SS are magnetic or not...Hopefully someone can check...Don't you have your oem manifolds laying around somewhere? Try sticking a magnet to it and see what happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I already did the magnet trick on the stock manifold and it's very magnetic. Which is why I posted my previous.

K i just researched this and stainless steel can be magnetic depends on this:

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

I just placed a magnet on my primary cat and it stuck but the magnetic force was not strong...So I would believe it's made of SS and has a bit of these materials as stated above in it. Chromium and nickel compounds in stainless steel prevents corossion and rust.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok I just did another research on OEM exhaust manifolds. Here is what I got.

In most production engines, the manifold is an assembly designed to collect the exhaust gas from two or more cylinders into one pipe. Manifolds are often made of "Cast Iron" in stock production cars, and may have material-saving design features such as to use the least metal, to occupy the least space necessary, or have the lowest production cost. These design restrictions often result in a design that is cost effective but that does not do the most efficient job of venting the gases from the engine. Inefficiencies generally occur due to the nature of the combustion engine and its cylinders. Since cylinders fire at different times, exhaust leaves them at different times, and pressure waves from gas emerging from one cylinder might not be completely vacated through the exhaust system when another comes. This creates a back pressure and restriction in the engine's exhaust system that can restrict the engine's true performance possibilities.

There's no way production cars would use lower grade mild steel for their exhaust manifold as it would not last the lifetime of the car. To even think Lexus would use low grade mild steel for our oem manifolds? Now that's ridicilous... Either the ISF's oem manifolds are made of cast iron or some grade of stainless steel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't know what material the tubing is, but I can tell you it's not cast iron.

Lou
By the looks of those it looks stainless steel to me as in the 2nd pic you can see the color change of a tinge blue in some parts of the header. Only stainless steel would change color like that vs other types of steel. Also I showed a friend of mine just now that works at a automotive machine shop and he says they are stainless steel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As I researched before all stainless steel is magnetic as it depends how much nickel compound is in it for it to make it non magnetic. As you can see in this pic the oem headers are surely stainless as you can see the color change on some areas. Only stainless steel would change color like this as other types of steel doesn't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.