Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
My .02

I had been following the header progress with Jaslapp1 (guinea pig for the headers) from the very beginning. Based on the kind of results I had seen with the IS350 I was very skeptical about this modification on a Lexus. Finally after months and months and months had gone by Jaslapp1 finally gives me the dyno results (in private) and I was like no way in hell that is possible!!!! I know you can inflate numbers by a few on a dyno, but 50+ was just too much to fudge.

The skeptical person I am kept in my mind that ok, I would still be happy if they gave me at least 25 more peak whp similar to what the PTS JoeZ exhaust yielded. As the headers were just about done with the developmental phase I decided to directly contact SIKKY. Being that I live about an hour and half away, I worked out a deal with SIKKY to test these headers prior to them being finalized for production in order to work out any small details and to verify the results that Jaslapp1 achieved. I was going to be the "independent party" and dyno these headers on BOTH their Dynapack and the Dynojet where I usually go for testing. I did the same thing for the JoeZ intake and the PTS JoeZ exhaust.

Needless to say, SIKKY/JE had ZERO doubt that I would make any less power on the Dynojet than on their Dynopack. I did some more research and talked to other shops in the area and told them that SIKKY and JE were doing the work. Not one single shop had anything bad to say about them, but were full of compliments, which was quite reassuring so I finalized the deal and took my car up to them for the big installation.

I was at the shop for 8 hours while they did the dyno testing, installation and test drive. At all times they allowed me to watch the progress and take any pictures I wanted, but being how the headers sit up in the engine bay it really is damn near impossible to get quality pictures with them installed hence the lack of photos from the SIKKY folks. After a long hot day we make our final dyno runs where we found gains of 42.5 peak whp and 21.4 ft/lbs peak tq. WOW!!! LINK TO MY DYNAPACK RESULTS

I drove the car around and racked up a few hundred miles and then went back to the Dynojet to get my second set of results. They Dynojet operator was even more skeptical than me, but we proceeded. Results were +39.50 peak whp and +34.57 ft/lbs peak tq! The dyno operator (Dan at MachV) was shocked and I was very relieved to see similar gains as to what were achieved on the dynapack at JE. If any of you want to get your facts straight give Dan a call at MachV. They are in no way shape or form associated with JE/SIKKY.
LINK TO MY DYNOJET RESULTS

So anyway, I've had the headers on my car now since June and I have not had one single problem with fitment, power or CELs. I can't speak for JE about how they treated 08MRISF, but I can tell you that in my own personal experiences with them that they have been very accommodating, honest and will certainly do business with again in the future. I have yet to hear about one installation or quality problem for any of the cars that JE/SIKKY did the header installations on and that tells me that for all the rest it's just a lack of experience by the installer and paranoia/OCD of the owner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I dont know what dynojet results I haven't seen yet, but I corrected Cayman's numbers for temperature and pressure.. and the gain was 28.81whp. Not 39.5 and not 42.5 like on the dynapack. I'd like the temp and pressure readings from the dynapack runs.
What!? How can you correct my already corrected numbers!? SAE was used on my runs which as you know already accounts for temp and pressure. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's just a shame SIKKY could not come through and i could dyno both sets of headers and be done with this comparison....but NO they have to screw people around and lie to them
Why don't you put yourself in SIKKY's shoes for a moment. Why would they want to send their final production header to a competitor who is still in the R&D phase of their own headers!? Of course this would be a different story if the Elite headers were finalized but they are not. Just seems like the obvious to me and looking back maybe you should have just had the headers sent to your house first. Just a thought.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here is a link of an example of how a top quality header should look like. Header is made by J's racing Japan for S2000. They show close up shots of the welds, ports, flanges etc. This company has been around for a long time and has racing history. They took 2+ years of R&D to perfect this header. I had this header before on my s2000.

http://www.jsracing.co.jp/js3/index.asp?xMODE=SHOP&xSW=3&xBLAND=1&xSHASHU=4&xPARENT=41&xNO=XA-S1&xKEYWORD=

If you ask me those J racing headers look like crap aside from the nice polished look with no ceramic coating. Look at how they are piece mealed together compared to the SIKKY ones, which are mandrel bent all the way through to the collector.

SIKKY

·
Registered
191 Posts
Doublexl, for a guy who started the thread "ETA" back in early July with the below and then later said you may wait until next year I'm not sure what to think.:confused: Then when you got the headers, you started hacking them up without even trying them out first, when everyone else had no fitment or power issues. WTF dude!?

7/8/10
"i dont know if im as curious as others, but to put it bluntly.... where the [email protected]#$ are my headers?

the "they should be ready in 3 weeks" was up almost 3 weeks ago. i'd like to get them on my car before it [email protected]#$ing snows this year.

SIKKY!?
"

8/28/10
"i have no idea where the nearest dyno to me would be. that would involve a lot of driving and i do not yet know when i will be putting them on. its almost september, my car gets tucked away at the start of october..... might wait till next year."

LeXusguy, you are straight up bitter because you expected SIKKY to send your headers to a competitor before the competitor has finalized his design. Come on man really!? I do however kinda side with you though that SIKKY shouldn't have (if he really did) give you the run around like you stated. If that's true then shame on them, but for you and Doublexl to continue bashing SIKKY is just unprofessional, uncalled for and in my honest opinion adds ZERO credibility to you.

We have a few companies who are now starting to make some parts for the IS-F and I'm baffled as to why we are not embracing and encouraging these companies instead of all the constant bickering going on here. There is nothing wrong with competition as long as it's fair, but I do see a problem with the way you two have been on attack.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hahah... WOW!!!! doublexl, take a magnet to them... If they are 304 tubes they will not be magnetic, mild steel and 409(lower grade) stainless are magnetic. Headers should NEVER!!!!!! EVER EVER EVER be made of mild or 409... Well at least if you want them to last.

P.S. Our are 100% 304 stainless, TIG welded, and CNC Flanges...
Thats funny because the stock headers are also mild steel and guess what they aren't even ceramic coated and I'm sure they would last the life of the car. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
So you are implying the factory exhaust won't last more than two years? Not only is that rediculous, but here we have ceramic coating on top of mild steel for even more protection. Also, the price you pay is performance for the dollar. I'll let you know in two years how they are holding up.:rolleyes:

read post #55 and about advantages and disadvantages on Ceramic coated mild steel headers vs 304 stainless steel.

This is where I found the info. Scroll down to see applications...I spent alot of hours of research to find out what material they are made of.

http://www.redlinemotive.com/store/sikky/sikky-headers.asp

That's not the point Caymandiver as your spending mad money for an item that would rust in 1-2 years...This is why most high end manufactures make their headers out of 304 SS over Ceramic coated mild steel...IMO your paying overpriced for SIKKY Headers where other Ceramic coated mild steel headers cost 1/3 or less of it's price... I'm pretty sure the oem headers are made of a higher grade steel then just mild steel. Well looks like I gotta spend hours of research again to find out what they are made of again lol...Also Ceramic coated mild steel headers will eventually crack over time if not re ceramic coated when it rusts and that's going to be a hefty cost for labor on un and re installing them...They also can't take extreme high heat as well as 304 SS would.

·
Registered
191 Posts
K I just found out our oem whole exhaust system from exhaust manifold to back is made of "stainless steel"...doesn't say what the grade was but it's made of ss..

OEM entire exhaust system specs:

The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.
Throw a magnet on the OEM and see what happens. Also guys better watch what you post without getting your facts together first. You are on the verge of "slander" with little to no understanding of your actions. The post about the "possible" credit card issues comes to mind along with all the other shit that's been posted targeting "SIKKY". These venders pay to be here and are real companies that depend on products and service to make a living to support their families. GROW UP!

ps. Where are the forum moderators!? This site has gone to shit lately and I'm on the verge of deleting every post I ever made and taking my support elsewhere.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not trying to bash here Caymandiver I'm just trying to help for you and others to choose wisely on mods... as I did all my research before posting anything and I will try and find a magnet and try to see if the cats stick but I can barely get under my car as my car is quite low to the ground. Also if the exhaust system is made of 304L SS then it won't stick but I don't know if other grades of SS are magnetic or not...Hopefully someone can check...Don't you have your oem manifolds laying around somewhere? Try sticking a magnet to it and see what happens.
I already did the magnet trick on the stock manifold and it's very magnetic. Which is why I posted my previous.

1 - 10 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.