Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always drive in Sport Mode with my Blitz Throttle Controller set to SP2, I have K&N Intake, Borla Full Exhaust, and Sikky Headers. I enjoy my car and drive pretty aggressive, since I installed the headers, on wide open throttle my car is hitting the rev limiter and making these nasty noises before shifting between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. I know others must be having this problem, I believe, and I'm no expert, that the ECU is telling the car to shift to late because of how fast my car is gaining rpm's due to the mods, any advice out there as to this nasty noise. Of course its alot worse with the cold dry air, the car sounds like a wicked monster even without hitting the limiter :) Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue in auto + sport with Sikky headers and JoeZ exhaust. Until there is a way to tune the computer, my solution is to slap it into manual mode and use the paddles before I run at WOT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I always drive in Sport Mode with my Blitz Throttle Controller set to SP2, I have K&N Intake, Borla Full Exhaust, and Sikky Headers. I enjoy my car and drive pretty aggressive, since I installed the headers, on wide open throttle my car is hitting the rev limiter and making these nasty noises before shifting between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. I know others must be having this problem, I believe, and I'm no expert, that the ECU is telling the car to shift to late because of how fast my car is gaining rpm's due to the mods, any advice out there as to this nasty noise. Of course its alot worse with the cold dry air, the car sounds like a wicked monster even without hitting the limiter :) Thank you for any advice.
Have you had a chance to dyno?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you had a chance to dyno?
I dyno'd right after the headers, which of course is the latest mod. I posted the dyno sheets on a thread in here somewhere. I'm not sure where or how to find it. It was done on 8/18/10. I'd like to check it again now.

Before Sikky Headers Max Power 369
Before Sikky Headers Max Torque ???
After Sikky Headers Max Power 404
After Sikky Headers Max Torque 363

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=528&d=1282843189

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unhook battery for 10min. No tune should be needed!
I never hit my limiter but I don't have the blitz controller

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm curious how many owners with headers and/or exhaust have this issue. I'm assuming not many as this is the first time I have head of it. Hopefully, it is just the blitz controller as Bullterrier states.

Because if it is not this is a big deterrent to plunk down 1-2K on headers only to loose your added HP peformance due to the ECU/Tranny not learning and bouncing off redline before you know what is going on. Also, to always drive around in manual mode would be a pain. I know nobody has broken the ECU on the F so hopefully this is not an issue. It would seem that Elite with their Supercharger development would have already ran into this issue if it is an issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't have this issue... But I usually put it in manual and sport when I WOT.

I'll see how it performs with my Toms LTCS next week

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't had any issues with it hitting the limiter. Try it with the throttle controller off?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Interesting you're running into funny noises with the mods you have listed. I'm running everything you mention with the exception of the headers and I don't have any major problems with shifting. Now when you redline it with the exhaust and intake, you can get a pop noise due to the engine running rich, is that what you're hearing?

Do you have any sound clips or videos of what's going on? It could be the throttle controller holding you high in the RPM band and delaying the shift (sometimes happens to me when driving aggressively and the delay can cause more fuel to buildup in the exhaust). This can cause somewhat of a backfire noise when you finally shift hard at redline.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting you're running into funny noises with the mods you have listed. I'm running everything you mention with the exception of the headers and I don't have any major problems with shifting. Now when you redline it with the exhaust and intake, you can get a pop noise due to the engine running rich, is that what you're hearing?

Do you have any sound clips or videos of what's going on? It could be the throttle controller holding you high in the RPM band and delaying the shift (sometimes happens to me when driving aggressively and the delay can cause more fuel to buildup in the exhaust). This can cause somewhat of a backfire noise when you finally shift hard at redline.
I don't have sound clips. I did try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and it seems to be a little better, the noise and shut down at the shift limiter usually happens when temperatures is cool with low humidity or when the car is not too hot. I did'nt have the problem until I had the headers installed. There's a couple different noises, the one from too much gas is not the noise, the bad noise is the engine hitting the rev limiter and shutting down between shifts 1-2 mostly at WOT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a rattle noise when in gear stopped at idle, like one side of headers is hitting the frame. I have adjusted headers several times but it still vibrates.

T

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't have sound clips. I did try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and it seems to be a little better, the noise and shut down at the shift limiter usually happens when temperatures is cool with low humidity or when the car is not too hot. I did'nt have the problem until I had the headers installed. There's a couple different noises, the one from too much gas is not the noise, the bad noise is the engine hitting the rev limiter and shutting down between shifts 1-2 mostly at WOT.
Try running the oem airbox & intake.... ;)

See if it makes a difference..

~ Joe Z

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^ Just curious, but why do you think the intake would make the car do what he's describing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
This happened to me a couple days ago. I realized the mistake I made is that the car was not completely warmed up.

I had about 2 ticks on my oil instead of 3.

Make sure its completely warmed up before flooring it. Once its completely warmed up I haven't had this issue before.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds to me like your not warming it up properly. Our ecu has a program built in to let the car go a fre hundred rpms higher to warm the car quicker. Which is what causes a miss shift between gears when wot. If you are warmed up properly then I'd say it's your controller. I'm running mostly the same mods. I've never had the issue. When it's cold like this I've noticed it takes my car twice as long to warm up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Sounds to me like your not warming it up properly. Our ecu has a program built in to let the car go a fre hundred rpms higher to warm the car quicker. Which is what causes a miss shift between gears when wot. If you are warmed up properly then I'd say it's your controller. I'm running mostly the same mods. I've never had the issue. When it's cold like this I've noticed it takes my car twice as long to warm "

This is false! That makes no sense....
All engines revs higher when cars warm up.They don't increase redline. Just revs higher to allow engine to warm up faster.
When you don't warm up car you have more unburnt fuel getting into your oil.

Anyways my .02, I couldn't let this one go!
t

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Sounds to me like your not warming it up properly. Our ecu has a program built in to let the car go a fre hundred rpms higher to warm the car quicker. Which is what causes a miss shift between gears when wot. If you are warmed up properly then I'd say it's your controller. I'm running mostly the same mods. I've never had the issue. When it's cold like this I've noticed it takes my car twice as long to warm "

This is false! That makes no sense....
All engines revs higher when cars warm up.They don't increase redline. Just revs higher to allow engine to warm up faster.
When you don't warm up car you have more unburnt fuel getting into your oil.

Anyways my .02, I couldn't let this one go!
t
My car does this intermittently, Iv'e been more careful about warming it up before hitting open throttle, still hitting rev limiter, diconnected battery to reset, still hitting rev limiter, turned off Blitz Throttle Controller, still hitting it. The one thing I havent tried is Joe Z suggestion of removing the K&N Typhoon and putting the stock airbox back in, bad thing is, I through it out. I'm surprised Bullterrier isn't having the same issue, very similar mods.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When this happens are you in 100% auto mode or semi auto mode( in D but shifting with paddles)

I noticed my car hit the rev limiter when in semiauto mode, it doesnt seem to shift fast enough with the paddles and auto. Manual is fine, and full auto is fine but in semiauto It seems to hit it more often, probably because Im used to timing my shifts with the quicker manual setting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts