Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought the IS-F, I cross shopped a couple other cars, C63, M3, G37, Cayman, GT-R (would like to but not a serious consideration due to price difference) and believe it or not, Mitsu EVO MR.
Out of curiosity I still follow how these other cars are doing on various blogs and to my surprise I found that the new double clutch trannies seem to be failing left, right and center. More than coincidence (although some owners stubbornly refuse to admit) but owners have reported failures within 5,000 miles of driving. The C63 and G37 don’t have the same problem because they don’t use the double clutch trannies but I read about failures in VW DSG/PDK, BMW M-DCT, TC-SST on the EVO and G36 in the GT-R. These range from hydraulic pump failure, overheating, stripped gear and various solenoid breakdowns. The result is usually a tranny replacement and weeks out of commission because most of the time the entire tranny has to be shipped to Germany and examined by Getrag. This could be $$$ when the cars are out of warranty.
A number of people are starting to think that the double wet clutch systems are unproven and not ready for use on production casrs. Hopefully our 8 speed trannies are more reliable.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Ted, thanks for sharing this info. It is really nice to know. As of this point, I am not aware of a rash of related problems with the IS-F transmission. It is proving to be very solid. If anyone has had a serious issue with their IS-F transmission, now would be the time to voice it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
As much abuse as I throw at this car and in every mode, not just manual, its always rock solid. Just a side note, I was looking at an M5 and the salesman I was working with told me the same stories on the M he had with regards to the trans. I have heard this from several folks on the BMW M-DCT and am glad I went with the F. I also did a search for trans failures on the forum and none were found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts