Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I am sure this dilemma has come cross the minds of at least a few IS-F owners.
Now that prices of the 2010 and 2011 GT-R have come down, almost to the level of IS-F’s (which may be an indication of the robustness of each car?) I am thinking more and more of whether it’s worthwhile to go for one. The upside obviously is the acceleration/handing, especially in terms of beating C63s and M3s which seem to be everywhere nowadays. (although I have never pushed my IS-F anywhere close to the posted 0-60 time so I am the first to admit, it’s the feel good factor - knowing you can do the 3s 0-60) that GT-R is 4WD so helps in winter driving. Downside is the infamous tranny issue, the fact that anyone can launch your car and ruin the tranny, maintenance cost ($7K brake jobs, $1K tranny fluid change etc) and long term reliability (looking at problems with the 370Z and other Nissan products doesn’t exactly inspire confidence). The IS-F is truly a reliable sports sedan with few equals. I know I will probably regret it if I buy a GT-R but it is just so tempting... a car that can match the Lambo Aventator’s acceleration! what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me the biggest problem with the GT-R is that I feel it’s a car that you cannot keep for the long run, 2 years is probably the limit before serious problems happen and buying one that’s out of warranty is a bad decision. I have been reading various forums and I think twin clutch trannies are not yet perfected yet. A number of EVO X MR owners report having to replace the tranny 2 or 3 times already (about 20 miles intervals). VW/Audi DSG and M3 DCT have seen their share of problems. And the most disturbing bit is that some of these owners baby their cars and they did not drive the cars hard. So just by not launching the car doesn’t mean you can avoid trouble. (Lexus decided against putting a dual clutch unit in the IS-F and LFA for this reason) I honestly think most GT-R R35 you see today will be in the scrapyard in 6 years. By that time the cost of repairing the car will be more than the depreciated value!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.