Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take the IS-F out to Sebring Int'l Raceway this past weekend with the PBOC club. Ran the full 12 hour course, all 17 corners.

Car was great around the track. LOTS of power and torque coming out of the corners and in the long straights. It’s a little heavy and handles very differently from the E46 M3 and the E92 335i did, no question. Really had to manage the weight transfer in some of the turns. Brakes were phenomenal and had no fade.

The only issue I had was some oil overheating on Saturday afternoon when I started to run it pretty hard. It was almost 95 plus degrees, with high humidity, so that probably had something to do with the oil temps. After a cool down lap, it was fine. It was also a little cooler on Sunday.

The smaller cars were either catching me in the corners, or I would keep up with them. Once I hit the straights, I would easily rocket past them with a mighty roar.

I have a few pictures I will post shortly, plus some video I need to edit.

Next stop at the end of October…Daytona… :)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that the stig in the passenger seat? :D
Some say he has robotic implants for eyes...and he only eats on race day.

All we know is that he's called the Stig. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
great pics, Question, by over temp on oil how many bars show on the guage? Did the overheat? Also, did u remove spare & empty the car of floormats & other stuff? Not that it has any bearing on temp just asking. What tires u got Bridge r Michlin? I run in the N.E. at tracks but had no temp issues however oil guage had 4 bars but that not overheat it is nominal for track duty. Also you may consider blue painters tape on the headlights & around fenders. it helps with nics & road grit at track speeds. Cheers & have fun, Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great pics, Question, by over temp on oil how many bars show on the guage? Did the overheat? Also, did u remove spare & empty the car of floormats & other stuff? Not that it has any bearing on temp just asking. What tires u got Bridge r Michlin? I run in the N.E. at tracks but had no temp issues however oil guage had 4 bars but that not overheat it is nominal for track duty. Also you may consider blue painters tape on the headlights & around fenders. it helps with nics & road grit at track speeds. Cheers & have fun, Alex
Over oil temp as in it went all the way to the top of the gauge and the computer started beeping at me that the oil temp was too high. The car then went into 'limp home' mode for about 2 minutes. I pulled off the track and into the infield to go back to the pits.

I removed the floor mats, but not the spare tire.

I have the stock Bridgestones on this car, and they seemed to be OK. Haven't run the Michelins to compare, but I would love to have a spare set of track tires and wheels. I have some 18" ones from my BMW days, but they don't fit on this car.

I didn't blue tape up the front because I just had the 3M clear bra installed. I thought about doing the headlamps, but just ran out of time before my first session of the day. After that, I was just too lazy to do it... :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Over oil temp as in it went all the way to the top of the gauge and the computer started beeping at me that the oil temp was too high. The car then went into 'limp home' mode for about 2 minutes. I pulled off the track and into the infield to go back to the pits.

I removed the floor mats, but not the spare tire.

I have the stock Bridgestones on this car, and they seemed to be OK. Haven't run the Michelins to compare, but I would love to have a spare set of track tires and wheels. I have some 18" ones from my BMW days, but they don't fit on this car.

I didn't blue tape up the front because I just had the 3M clear bra installed. I thought about doing the headlamps, but just ran out of time before my first session of the day. After that, I was just too lazy to do it... :)
Thanks for the info Chris H.... Sorry to hear the oil went that hi. I have yet to see a similar situation. Anyone have any input as to why this happens? I dont have the 3M stuff so thats why i been taping the car. Be well & drive hard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have any input as to why this happens?
I'd like to know as well. I have another event at Daytona at the end of October. IT should be cooler weather by then, and there are lots of high speed straights and bankings to keep the air flowing and the temps down.

I'd also like to go back to Sebring at some point when I am sure it will be HOT outside. :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyone know of a good club to get started with so I can get some real track time in my IS F? I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More Pics from the professional photographer.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Damn, sweet photos! Glad to see you had fun, I would really like to go to an event like that here in Texas :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey ChrisH,

I currently own a 335 coupe and am getting rid of it for an IS-F. What exactly do you mean when you say it handles different from the 335? And, if you mean different by not as good as the bimmer, then what could be done to enhance the driving experience of the F?
aaron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts