Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Exhaust and intake upgrade options

15K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  fryedout 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I have been researching Mods for the greatest car on earth and here is some info I have found,,,,,,might help some of you all out!
- JOE Z exhaust, $1599 @ VIP auto salon in Ca., 22-26 RWH claimed ( sounds KILLER on utube)
-Royalmuffler.com, exhaust, not sure on $, sounded o.k,, no power #'s
-SRT true duel exhaust, titanmotersports.com (orlando,FL), $1199, 10-12 RWH claimed
-Joe Z intake, $140, pipe only, no filter(uses stock), 5+ RWH claimed, VIP auto salon
SRT intake, $599, complete system(piping, filter-K&N looking, new sensors, heat shield) 20 RWH claimed (titanmotersports.com)
Hope this info saves some folks some time!

08 Ultra sonic Blue
Columbia, SC

#3 ·
Good research suprajones. There are some third party dyno numbers from other members you should check out on CL if you haven't already :) I would do your research on the SRT and single stage intake products :cool:

#7 ·
The SRT intake also comes with the ECU mod that adjusts air to fuel ratio. Anyone knows how the ECU mod is installed? is it just plug and play and where the ports are? also, is the JOE Z intake similar to the SRT one only without the ECU mod?? Im confused as i'm hearing good things about JOE Z and less good things about SRT

#8 ·
I would do a search with how the SRT ECU works, I'm sure it is on here or CL.

The Joe Z intake is not similar to the SRT. The SRT intake removes the entire stock air intake box (filter, etc.) as well as the stock tube. This results in the F having a single stage intake instead of the stock dual stage intake. The Joe Z is an intake tube with no ECU changes that keeps the stock dual intake box and only replaces the muffled stock tube.

Here is a link to SRT's website to help you:

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=101

#10 ·
If you do the DIY stock intake mod and add the Joe Z pipe, it is still not the same as adding the SRT intake.

The SRT intake completely removes the tube and stock intake box. You have to do the ECU changes as well to make the SRT intake works well with the engine as the F is designed for a dual stage and not a single stage intake setup. If you look at the pictures in the above link to the SRT website and then go out and look at the stock intake in your F, there is quite a difference. The SRT has a long single tube connected to an open head filter surrounded by a heat shield. The stock intake has a shorter tube connected to a box that has an air flap that opens for the second intake.

The DIY intake mod simply unplugs an air hose and forces the car to open the secondary intake earlier in the RPM band then it is supposed to (2300 or so compared with 3600). If you had the Joe Z pipe and do the DIY intake mod, you still have a dual stage intake in the F, your just forcing it to kick in earlier compared with a complete single stage intake with an open filter.

#14 ·
I know for a fact that AEM has an intake in development. From what I hear they estimate a 20-30 hp gain. Knowing how thorough they are in their development and their usual hp gains, I think they will do it. Stay tuned. They should release it within the next 4-6 weeks...

#16 ·
Wow, that much horsepower just from an intake?

I will reserve my judgment until I see photos and dyno sheets :D

#18 ·
Gain is measured at the wheels. AEM posts their dyno sheets on the web when they release a kit for sale.

I know a couple of the engineers at AEM. The company is very hard core about being honest on their published stats. And, they actually publish an average of three pulls, instead of the best one like some companies do.

#19 · (Edited)
That's an amazing gain! Ya think it will be similar to the SRT intake setup?

BTW... does anyone ever get a drone from their JoeZ exhaust when just cruising below 2000 rpms..

#20 ·
AEM has gotten these types of gains in the past. Check out what they did with the original S2000....10+% gain in hp and torques! Don't forget that AEM are the real pros at intake design. Plus they have one hell of an electronics crew to back it up too.

I think it will be similar. However, I am going to put my money on AEM to do the best job and get the most out of the design.

#21 ·
Just spoke with a sales rep at AEM (5/5/09). The guy said the company is looking into an intake for the car but don't expect anything for a few months. I mentioned that I would call back at the end of summer, August'ish and he said that might be a little early. THought I would share the info with ya'll.

#22 ·
^That is very interesting news suprajones, thanks for reaching out to them. It's going to be interesting to see if they come out with anything for the F and if they do, what type of setup it is

#24 ·
^Haven't seen anything number wise released for either the exhaust or intake yet.

#26 ·
I have been strongly looking at the K&N,,,, there is a thread on here under "performance modifications"- some one has installed the intake, said the car immidiatly shut off after innitial start-up(makes me wonder).
Can't find anyone on the net that has the Borla installed. Thier site claims about an 80% increase in water flow on a hydrojet(?) Looked at picking one up- $300 cheaper and can pick one up locally, but no one around here will install the off-road only version.

#27 ·
Here is a quote from the tread mentioned above-

"I live in Orange county, CA. Installed the typhoon kit tonight. I am considering making a video so you can listen to the car. I will look to see if there is a video of what it sounded like before. I need to ask my co-worker to bring his "small G-force performance" meter device for me to test the 0-60 mph time. We have a few previous runs for us to compare the new runs with. If anyone has any questions let me know.

The k&n website has been really unstable the last few weeks. I watched the video a few times before I installed it. It was easy. There was a small issue with my kit. It was missing the vacuum plug. I just put a screw in the small hose it already had so that was easy. When I first turned on the car it quickly shut off. Second ignition attempt worked and I test drove it. I also have new tires, the Michelin All Season with the 45000 warranty http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=CAOINT&cs=255 . Not sure how much I like them since I just installed them 5/1/2009. I was able to get the typhoon kit for $301."

#31 ·
I posted that

I posted that. I realized why it turned off. It does this after disconnecting the battery. I disconnected the battery a few times trying to get the windows to work again and it did the same thing. It does not have anything to do with the change in intake. I learned how to fix the windows too (go to each door, go down half way and hold up on the switch for a few seconds).

#28 ·
I'm sure some of you all have seen this,,,,,,
Just found this exhaust/muffler product from SURUGA SPEED out of Japan. Here is the link-
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.suruga-speed.co.jp/&ei=2lYISoGvLIiMtgfq75WFBw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsuruga%2Bspeed%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

The $ = 4,044.71 for rear system and 1931.55 for center muffler!!!!!!!!!!!
There is also a youtube video- it sounds kiiler to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.