Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you wheel and tire gods. Here is where I am.

I have decided to replace my current (worn) OEM tires with the TOYO T1R's all around for the street. I will be going 235/40/19 Front and 265/35/19 Rear.

So street covered.

I currently have the G-Spiders that are 18x8 all around, running 245 aplin tires.

So winter covered. (kinda)

Now for the track. I was told I need/should go with forged wheels for the track. My 18x8 g-spiders would not work for the track, I was told? Here are my issues.
- Want to get forged wheels for the track that I can also use for winter.
- Sell my winter package

Questions
- Why do the wheels have to be staggered for street/track? My winters are all the same size.
- Can I go with say 18x9 all around for track and winter?
- If so, what is the biggest tires I can get for the track and smallest for winter on the 18x9? All tires the same size.
- If so, by having the same size all around for the track, I can at least extend the life of my track tires by having the ability to rotate them as needed. (more a statement than question)

And finally, assuming I can go 18x9 forged all around, what are my options for reasonably priced wheels in that size that will clear the BBK? New or used.

[I miss my smart car. Didn't have these tire issues then, just had to find a diesel gas station!]

·
Registered
120 Posts
- Why do the wheels have to be staggered for street/track? My winters are all the same size.
You don't HAVE to run staggered for the track. I run a square setup so I have the option to rotate any direction plus it makes the car easier to rotate since the normal tendency is a slight understeer. You'll get tramlining but IMO this is the way to go.

- Can I go with say 18x9 all around for track and winter?
For the track definitely. Winter yes too but typically you want to go narrower on winter tires to slice through the snow easier. Regardless, I doubt you'll be driving in 8inches of snow but if you plan to...a good set of snow tires will help get to from points A to B.

- If so, what is the biggest tires I can get for the track and smallest for winter on the 18x9? All tires the same size.
I run 265/35/18s all the way around with BFG R1 tires (R comps) for track. You can go as narrow as 245s on this diameter.

- If so, by having the same size all around for the track, I can at least extend the life of my track tires by having the ability to rotate them as needed. (more a statement than question)
Absolutely!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lex,
I'd like to duplicate your track tires sizes i.e 265/35/18 on R comp.
How do you compare with the OEM set-up on track, if I may ask, any push/ loose phenomenon tracking fatter R comp?
What kind of wheel do you get - forged or casted? Is wheel weight your most important consideration given a budget? Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do feel a lot less understeer despite stock suspension right now. I can get the car to rotate just enough to minimize push and get through turns with confidence. Even R comps in stock size will make the biggest difference. The 265 setup feels pretty good and no rubbing. Wheel weight is one of the biggest factor in my decision...got the Enkei RPF1s...this wheel has been out for a while but it's only 18lbs and reasonable in price!

NASA's Hyperfest is this weekend at Summit Point (WV). I'm not sure if I'll bring the F...maybe the M3 but try to come out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lex,
thanks for the answers. Just spent 4 days at VIR with Audi/MB/ BMW and Mazda last week , packing in 20 track days in my ISF for the last 2 months on 7 tracks. Have some travelling to do this summer starting Sunday. I'm sure we'll have alot of mutual friends at the Hyperfest. Have a great time and a great summer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lex, do you have any pics of your track setup? So let me get this straight, you are funning 265 ALL around? Front and Back! Cool!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts