Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about trading the F in for the Dodge Viper... they have 2 Vipers on the lot listed at 86K. I could get one for right at 70 OUT THE DOOR.... Both are brand new and I know one of the finance guys that is completely closing out deals on all their inventory and I think I have enough capital (if i trade in my F) for the Viper... I love the F so I weighed the +/-on trading my car.

the minuses
1. manual tranny
2. 2 seater
3. heavy as fawk (so is the F)
4. doesnt carry the lexus prestige
5. weak interior

the plus...
1. soon to be collectible
2. american car handbuilt USA
3. the car is fast.. runs 11 seconds stock 1/4
4. an abundance of aftermarket for the V10 way more than the lexus
5. i can get a hell uva deal on the car....

what should i do? the only thing that is not making me pull the trigger is the manual tranny...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say if you don't have to depend on it for a daily driver, do it. The viper will be worth more later than the F and you can always pick up another F in time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I say don't. The Viper is a very impractical car that is best used for "track days". It's a handful to drive, it tramlines over imperfect pavement, heavy, truck like, and it's a brute. It's not something I would imagine you'd trade an IS f for unless you're looking for bragging rights. In the real world it doesn't work so well.

But it is your money. Own your own house? Got 12 months of pay in savings? No credit card debt? No kids? Contributing 15% to your 401K? Job secure?

Do you really need it or just want to impress?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^^ mostly impress... i have always been a speed freak... waiting for aftermarket on the f is like watching paint dry

·
Registered
165 Posts
^^^^ mostly impress... i have always been a speed freak... waiting for aftermarket on the f is like watching paint dry
This is my 2 cents, dont get offended. In my mind, the vipers always been a dodge Pos. When I see ppl driving the viper, all I can say is, another dumbazz paying $70K for a pos. The original viper was $40k+? thats ok do able but not at $70k. If you ask me,, I rather do a vette, the vette is like an all American dream car. Like another member says, its all just brute speed, not refined at all, Not practical at all, and if you are worried about buying this car cause its manual, then this car is definitely not for you, I betcha, most of the guys on this forum wished the isF had a manual. This is just all my opinion, coming from a Chinaman, lol Seriously, I dont know if its just me, but If I saw a new viper on the street next to a new top of the line vette, I would definitely stare at the vette more and think in my mind, "smoke that pos"

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
The Viper is a Bad MoFo !!! If it's not a daily driver, which I'd assume it would not be, do it. But be careful, that Viper is a beast and is not very forgiving if you loose control. I drove them a few times, both on the street and on the track, and it's a blast to drive. I'd do it if I wanted something with more balls than a bull !! But don't expect it to have the creature comforts of a Lexus.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like IsFly168 said, I'd kill for a manual IS F. That would be one reason I'd consider the Viper, to get a manual. Also, it might be cool to have the last of a historic car.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer a Z06 if it were me. Or a Caymans S or a Carrera.

I'm surprised other, non-closing Dodge dealers aren't snapping up all the Vipers.

It does sound like a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Good luck making your decision!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm surprised other, non-closing Dodge dealers aren't snapping up all the Vipers.
And you think they want the viper too? trust me, Most dealers nowadays dont want to keep in inventory any "high end" cars Why do you think most dealers just wholesale their high end used cars? they dont want to deal with the headaches. Im pretty sure the vipers are ridiculous hard to sell. think in a normal persons term... 2 seat not practical, harsh, noisy, cop magnet, gotta be super expensive to insure, sucks gas like a mofo, especially when gas is heading up again. and with $70k there are plenty of alternatives. and when you guys say its gonna be a collectors car, guess what, let it sit in the garage for 50 years before its really worth any real money....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I disagree. I don't think the upper end of the car market is hurting. I don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if 911s, F430s, XKRs, or ZR1s weren't still in high demand. I know, a Viper is no Ferrari...

Maybe one of our Lexus dealer comrades can shine some light on the high end. How are those LS460s selling? Or, for that matter, IS Fs? Are these cars being discounted more than in past years, or are they hard to keep in stock?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think all makes are off from last year, some worse than others, but even the P and F brands are down. The IS-F's have been selling for 10-12 k off sticker for 6 months. A lot of people with money are scaling back and don't want to look in bad form right now....with so many people hurting, they aren't being as flashy...wanna see something really in the toilet? Look at private jet sales, lol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think all makes are off from last year, some worse than others, but even the P and F brands are down. The IS-F's have been selling for 10-12 k off sticker for 6 months. A lot of people with money are scaling back and don't want to look in bad form right now....with so many people hurting, they aren't being as flashy...wanna see something really in the toilet? Look at private jet sales, lol.
Yup ain't that the truth!! My F was purchased last year 3/31/08 for full retail without any discount for little over $70K with every option and ext warranty but now anyone with good amount of cash can purchased it for under $55K or so, am I correct? It really hurts..The draw back of owning something great and then the miserly that comes with it sometimes..Imagine those Lambo owners..awgh!!:(:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im keeping the F.... the thought of the manual tranny dis-interested me. I cant drive stick that well and I really think e-trannies are the way to go now.... If the Viper came in auto tranny you would see me rollin viper style... but i guess this is why chrysler lost money right!!!!? they didnt know their high end market are all automatic drivers. even porsche, audi, bmw, mbz, ferrari, lambo, etc... have all recognized the change... Autos are the way to go.... its the future....

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
2008's ISF are discounted, but atleast here in the Midwest, 2009's are going for MSRP since there are not many out there. As far as the LS460/L's, those are still selling, and so are the LX570's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Automatics may be the way to go for most manufacturers, but I read, I think in Excellence, that most Porsches sold are manuals. [It doesn't help that their (pre-PDK) automatic wasn't very inspiring.] But that's a pretty small market share.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Over 70k???

Yup ain't that the truth!! My F was purchased last year 3/31/08 for full retail without any discount for little over $70K with every option and ext warranty but now anyone with good amount of cash can purchased it for under $55K or so, am I correct? It really hurts..The draw back of owning something great and then the miserly that comes with it sometimes..Imagine those Lambo owners..awgh!!:(:(
How did you push the sticker price up so high? I have everything except the radar cruise control and my MSRP was "only" 61k or so. (I got a slight discount from that in May 2008.) Is there some huge option I don't have, or was there a regional markup where you are?

I'm not about to feel sorry for a Gallardo owner, btw!

·
Registered
21 Posts
How did you push the sticker price up so high? I have everything except the radar cruise control and my MSRP was "only" 61k or so. (I got a slight discount from that in May 2008.) Is there some huge option I don't have, or was there a regional markup where you are?

I'm not about to feel sorry for a Gallardo owner, btw!
I'm guessing he paid MSRP + taxes and then another 2-3k for the extended warranty and whatever other small things he may have gotten like clear bra etc. That would put you pretty close to 70k range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts