Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
What would be considered too late to switch to synthetic. I was under the impression that the ISF used synthetic from the factory, but when I had the dealer do my 10,000 mile service yesterday, they put in conventional. Would switching to synthetic at my 15,000 mile oil change be too late? Thanks in advance.
Keep in mind, the dealer uses whatever they get a good deal on. My mechanic is a 20 years Toyota Master and told me this. He's been in many dealerships.

As long as you break in the engine nice and easy, you can switch to synthetic at anytime after the first oil change.

If you do switch, stick with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oil Filter Options

I read this thread with interest and wanted to add ... IMHO ... the oil filter options.

In addition to the standard Lexus filter, higher performance "synthetic" filters are a cost-effective alternative. There are four filters usually referenced here and in other websites:

TRD: PTR43-00081 ... Toyota dealer $10-$12.
Mobil 1: M1C-453 ... Amazon.com $37 for 2-pack
K&N: HP-7018 ... Amazon.com $11
WIX: 57310 ... Amazon.com $12.50

The TRD filter is "Made in USA" but I do not know the manufacturer. The Mobil 1 and K&N appear identical and [probably] made by Champion.

Finally, FYI, I use the TRD filter with Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE at 10,000 miles intervals. I buy the oil at Walmart in two 5qt jugs for $44-$48.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts