Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought my 08 w/ 17k on the odometer and it is black as well. I am having Lexus repaint the hood, front bumper, fenders, and mirrors b/c there were too many rock chips for me to stand (I'm very particular about my cars). They are then going to put a clear bra on it to prevent any damage after the new paint. I can't wait and think if your anything like me, I would do this in the following steps:

1. check w/ lexus and see if they will repair at no cost

2. wait until someone gives a good response on a self-repair method and use it

3. after either dealer repair or self-repair, put a clear bra on it (it will prevent further rock chips and also possibly cover up the touch-up repair.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What was your strategy here, did you have them repaint the front of the car as a condition of the sale? Or are they doing this as goodwill?

Also, how long are you going to wait for the paint to dry/cure/harden before you have them install the clear bra?

-Matt
Yes it was a condition of the sale.

I didn't think of that. This would be my first clear bra and I didn't consider the idea of cure time on the paint. After hearing that though, I'm sure there is such a thing. I'll have to do some research and see how long I should wait.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok most seem to say 30 days after fresh paint is ample time. Thanks for pointing that out. I just emailed my salesperson and told her of my findings and that it looks like I'll be waiting a month after the paintwork to get the clear bra on. I won't be driving behind anything for miles until it's on, now I'm gonna be nervous as hell...

·
Registered
124 Posts
After my detail work I do a touchless carwash on the weekends when I'm busy with work and an optimum no rinse wash on either wednesday or thursday (my day's off). This to me seems to be a fairly safe wash plan. The touchless uses no brushes or towels at the end. It doesn't come out detailed clean but good enough to get me to the next optimum no rinse wash which gets it very clean. I'm sure there is no way to not get minor scratches on a black car but hopefully this is as safe as possible and will get me through a year before the next polish. Wax every 3 months and use a quick detailer with every optimum no rinse wash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.