Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends, my new black 2010 IS F already has a paint chip right on the front of the hood, small but very noticeable. Let me just ask the entire group of you a couple of questions... your answers will be very much appreciated, and hopefully spread topics to help other members... [I hope I'm posting in the right section]

1) Do you have any paint chips on your IS F. If so, how did it happen?

2) Were you successful at repairing the chip, or did you use a Bodyshop (and a professional)?

3) What method of fixing them did you employ? For this example, let's say it was on the hood, did you have the bodyshop use a technique of sorts and just fix the area, or did the entire hood have to be painted?

4) Do you know of any method that you've either heard of that is suppose to work good, like for example... Dr. ColorChip or Langka? Do you have any experience with these (or other similar) products that worked well (or horrible)?

5) Did you have any success in getting Lexus to pay for it? I mean this is an over $60k vehicle. Did your insurance cover the job as an alternative? In your case, was it a costly job, approx. how much?

6) Last Question: Did Lexus sell you a product called "Protection Plus"? If so, did it help to prevent the chips? Have you looked into a Clear Bra (and not for your girlfriend):D. If so, have the been a good investment, or if you're one who does not like them, please tell us why?

Thanks for all your help, I am looking forward to all your replies to help me and others. I just days ago got my paint chip so I don't know what direction to go in.. your replies will greatly improve my chances of doing this right.

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BodyShop Travels...

Hi, thanks for all your replies, I'm the original 'angry' poster... So, let me update you on my 'paint chip' repair suggestions. I truly appreciate yours... First off, I spoke to Lexus, They basically told me to go 'F' yourself! Hey, that's not bad, get it, "F" yourself... anyway. There's no way in hell they will pay for it, I mean I only paid $65,000.00 like 3 days ago... Great PR, right. I went bodyshop hunting just to see what they would say, I'll lay it out for you, here goes... feel free to comment.

BodyShop:
1) We can spray it, sand it down about 6 inches around the spot, paint it then spray the entire hood with clearcoat... $400. We use PPG waterbase paint process, and on, and on. I know nothing about paint, so I'm sorry if I'm so vague..

2) This next guy said, the paint process on a Lexus is so superior in the way they bake it on with robots and some electrostatic process... Personally, he said I wouldn't touch it because it will never be as durable as the original paint... The irony was, of coarse, I'm standing there with a paint chip in this 'most' durable paint. Consequently, he didn't want the job. He said, get some touch up paint and live with it... He was willing to do the touch up paint job but said he stopped doing BMW's, Lexus, and other high end cars.

3) I stopped at a Toyota dealership and they were the most confient in being able to get it back to original, they did have a new amazing facility and the guy said, we are the manufacturer and we can get it so you won't ever know it happened, it will blend perfect, and will be just as durable... $599.

4) I got the number of one of those guys that is an on-the-road ding, dent, and chip repair guy and he happened to be at a dealership working on another car when he looked at it. He was very confident in what he could do with it, and while saying 'you'll always know it's there, however most people would not be able to find it'... he told me he works on ferarri's and Lambo's and he's great and such... Anyways, it sounded like a good place to start. One thing to note, this guy was very much against these clear bra's, and said he would not recommend one in that they show lines and the paint changes over time and looks different...he went on and on and basically hated them.

I got to run for now but welcome all comments, I think I'll start with the cheapest, if it doesn't work, I'll do sometihng more expensive... Later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.