Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in possibly getting a custom cam made for their F. I'm going down to JE Import Performance today to talk to the owner about my sc he is rebuilding (so I can run lots of boost :D). They are a very reputable shop that has buit many, many cars that have been in turbo mag as well as others. He told me he can make a custom cam for me to my liking so I'm going to talk to him about cost. Because this will be the first cam made for our cars hes going to have to do a lot of R&D on my car. Let me know if you could be possibly interested and i'll talk to him to see if he'll give some good deals if we get enough people together.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i'd be down for a cam as long as it didnt make it idle too rough. and as long as it made more torque in the mid range

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I know that I would be very interested...unfortunately not for 1-2 years though. I'm not in the habit of messing with a brand new engine. Hopefully by then enough parts will be out so that I could do a complete bore and stroke engine rebuild with a custom cam, etc.

I am curious how much displacement could be gained with the 5.0L from a bore and stroke. My guess is 5.7L would be possible. I think that is the displacement of Dinan's BMW M5 stroker rebuild of the 5.0L V10. I bet the ISF 5.0L could be capable of 550 rwhp if it were bored and stroked using the strongest parts available.

Of course forced induction could make those numbers more easily, but there is something to be said about the linear power delivery of a built NA motor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that I would be very interested...unfortunately not for 1-2 years though. I'm not in the habit of messing with a brand new engine. Hopefully by then enough parts will be out so that I could do a complete bore and stroke engine rebuild with a custom cam, etc.

I am curious how much displacement could be gained with the 5.0L from a bore and stroke. My guess is 5.7L would be possible. I think that is the displacement of Dinan's BMW M5 stroker rebuild of the 5.0L V10. I bet the ISF 5.0L could be capable of 550 rwhp if it were bored and stroked using the strongest parts available.

Of course forced induction could make those numbers more easily, but there is something to be said about the linear power delivery of a built NA motor.
Much agreed and he's not going to make one just yet but when he does I'm sure my car will be the guinea pig so I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been waiting quite awhile for some cams.... lets get these goin!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think cams and a 5.7L stroker kit would be awesome, but I do not think much would be gained. I think you would only gain 50whp with these items.

Also, the current ecu might not handle the stroker, so what engine management would be used?

550whp is a dream for these items, 400whp-420whp tops! The current 5.0L is almost maxed out.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I think cams and a 5.7L stroker kit would be awesome, but I do not think much would be gained. I think you would only gain 50whp with these items.

Also, the current ecu might not handle the stroker, so what engine management would be used?

550whp is a dream for these items, 400whp-420whp tops! The current 5.0L is almost maxed out.
You're right...550whp might be a little ambitious. 550bhp would not be though. I am definitely not a subject matter expert in this area, so if anybody else is, please feel free to correct what I say...BUT...Engine management issues aside (I have never worked with Toyota/Lexus computers before), the amount of power you get out of an engine rebuild depends on how you rebuild it.

When I said that a 5.7 liter stroker could net that much power gain, I implied that it would be rebuilt using the strongest and lightest parts available. A higher CR and a more aggressive cam would be used because of the increased capability of the internals. Depending on what type of engine management was used, the redline would also be raised. So, if the redline were raised, horsepower could be raised even further. Torque should not really go up with an increased redline though.

As awesome as it would be, I don't think many people would opt for a high-end stroker engine in the end. It would be expensive to do right...and it would absolutely HAVE to be done right. I have heard too many horror stories of blown engines from people in my wife's Honda S2000 club regarding shoddy stroker builds. You can get 300bhp from a 2.5L stroker in a Honda S2000.

Also, I would hope that the ISF 5.0L is not almost maxed out. I know that the Toyota philosophy is not to push the envelope...it is to build reliable automobiles. There should be plenty of tuning room built in. 416 bhp from a 5.0L is nothing to sneeze at, but it certainly isn't "BUILT" by today's standards and technology, where high redlines and more than 100bhp/liter are possible from the factory.

Once again...if anyone out there wants to correct me...PLEASE DO...I am always trying to learn. Most of my knowledge is theoretical, not practical, and I am speaking in generalities since I don't have experience with Toyota/Lexus to date. I am trying to open up some more in depth discussions and hopefully get experts out there to share some of their knowledge and experience.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Dinan High Performance 4.6 Liter V-8 Engine for BMW M3

I just cut and pasted this from dinancars.com. It is the 4.6L stoker engine that they just introduced for the M3. 4.6L - 502 bhp - 384 lb-ft !!!!!!!!!!! Of course the cost is $25999.

For those seeking the ultimate high performance driving experience, Dinan has once again redefined M3 performance with a bored and stroked 4.6 liter version of BMW’s V-8 engine. The engine produces 502 horsepower along with increased torque of 384 lb-ft at 5600 rpm. As incredible as BMW’s V-8 is in stock form, just imagine the acceleration that results from a maximum gain of 105 horsepower @ 6400 rpm and a maximum gain of 96 lb-ft torque @ 5000 rpm*! Equally impressive is the fact that all of this performance is available without sacrificing BMW-like drivability or the peace of mind that comes from matching new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Dinan’s 30 years of BMW tuning and racing experience ensure that the engines will not only perform but also provide years of trouble free driving excitement. Much of the technology that has made Dinan’s Grand-Am Daytona Prototype engines both competitive and reliable has carried over to the 4.6 Liter V-8 engine program for the street, ensuring that the engines produce incredible power along with race-proven durability.

The engine is supplied as an assembled long-block, fully prepared to directly replace the stock engine without modification. Maximum performance is achieved when the engine is equipped with the optional High Flow Intake , High Flow Throttle Bodies, 16% underdrive pulley and Free Flow Mufflers, producing an incredible 502 peak hp @ 7500-7800 rpm and 384 lb-ft of peak torque @ 5000 rpm. For those seeking ultimate performance from their M3, without sacrificing civility, reliability or warranty coverage, the Dinan 4.6 Liter V-8 is the definitive solution.

Features and Specifications:
Bore: 94mm / Stroke: 83mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Dinan proprietary billet crankshaft
Dinan proprietary lightweight forged pistons
Dinan proprietary light-weight connecting rods
Balanced and blueprinted
Dinan electronics and engine management software
Dinan serial numbered block
Dyno results*:

• Peak Horsepower: 502 @ 7500-7800 rpm
• Peak Torque: 384 lb-ft @ 5600 rpm

*Engine tested using 93 octane with High Flow Intake Stage 2, Throttle Bodies, 16% underdrive pulley and Free Flow Mufflers.

A middle racing only exhaust section and under drive pulleys will be available mid-July, increasing output to 527 horsepower!

Peak Horsepower: [email protected] 7800 rpm – maximum gain of 129 hp @ 6000 rpm

Peak Torque: 407 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm – maximum gain of 124 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm

·
Registered
188 Posts
enough talk... if you build it... we will all come...

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice pics Joe and I'm trying to work on him for the cam. You guys may have to hang on for a little while. James is thinking about getting an ISF. I let him drive mine and he wants one now haha. Thanks Joe, since your exhaust was what he loved as well as the sheer power of the F. If he gets one we will see superchargers, cams, as well as other parts much sooner then later.

·
Registered
188 Posts
no cams????

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not any time soon. Maybe next summer we can look forward to some cams. Sorry I'll let you know if anything changes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts