Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
isf belly2.jpg

So I wanna a catback setup and this is what I come up with...(I need it CARB legal.) Any comments?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
IMO, the second "Y" at the rear is restrictive. Take a peak at it, there's a crush where it splits and goes to the mufflers. Personally, I don't think the mufflers are a problem, and I like the sound. If you want to keep the secondary cats, why not build a real dual system that starts after the secondaries, and if you want more noise, leave off the resonators and replace the mufflers.

I wanted a dual system when I got my F, and I removed the secondary cats, but kept the stock mufflers. I did my exhaust mod when I had 100 miles on the car. I now have 7K miles, and am very happy with what I did. A thread outlining my changes is attached.

http://www.lexusf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=890

Lou

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks

Thanks man; great idea. Gonna look into it. My motorhead son is pushing me to mod my car!:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
With respect to Lou, I agree not to cut up the OEM system... ;)

It actually costs $1,550 for the front pipe and $754 for the rear axle section..
In the event you would have to replace those parts, its over $2300 for the OEM system alone.. :eek:

When Lou modified his, there where no other exhaust options at the time..

Now you have a few.. :cool:

None of them will be "CARB CERTIFIED".. just too expensive...

Regards,

Joe Z

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
^^^^With respect to Lou:confused: You're killin' me here:D As I said, I'm still quite pleased with what I did. If I were to do it today, I wouldn't change a thing. I do, however, have a Real Genuine Joe Z Intake:eek:

But, Joe, you're right, I should have mentioned all the other options that have come on the market since I did this. Sorry. Stretch, do a search you'll find all sorts of options, both here and at Club Lexus.

Lou

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^^^With respect to Lou:confused: You're killin' me here:D As I said, I'm still quite pleased with what I did. If I were to do it today, I wouldn't change a thing. I do, however, have a Real Genuine Joe Z Intake:eek:

But, Joe, you're right, I should have mentioned all the other options that have come on the market since I did this. Sorry. Stretch, do a search you'll find all sorts of options, both here and at Club Lexus.

Lou
I guess I should have said “No disrespect to Lou".. ;)

Here in Cali, falling back on the OEM exhaust is very important...!!
Especially, in the event of a severe exhaust violation, where you can be sent to a SMOG Referee for a FULL examination of ALL exhaust components..

I still applaud you for one of the first F owners to mod their exhaust... :p

Joe Z

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't help you with the exhaust but.... Can you send me a high res of the underside of the car without your annotations? Cool pic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
IMO, the second "Y" at the rear is restrictive. Take a peak at it, there's a crush where it splits and goes to the mufflers. Personally, I don't think the mufflers are a problem, and I like the sound. If you want to keep the secondary cats, why not build a real dual system that starts after the secondaries, and if you want more noise, leave off the resonators and replace the mufflers.
Lou
This is a good idea. I'd like to make mine a real dual system but still keep it legal and as loud as it currently is. I just can't find one that has been produced. I might just have it customized by an exhaust shop as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IS belly without mark ups

For those who asked and those who are interested;
btw, thanks for all the input. Still thinkin it through.

isf belly.jpg

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
That is the underside of an IS350 is it not? Does modding a stock system make it CARB legal? I am not clear on the latest Cali inspection standards?
Any yes, that Y is restrictive. I just finished up my exhaust this weekend and put it on the car. I am very happy with gains so far and of course the sound :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts