Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most of you know I am an Amsoil user as I have have had great success with my vehicles in the past, even after tearing them down after cracked ringlands. I am very happy with the product and I like to run extended drain intervals on my oil for simplicity and cost sake.

I ran OEM oil until the 5K service at which point a switched over to 0w30 signature series oil.

at 14K I swapped just the filter, and took my oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for IOA. I was surprised to find the response was that my engine was still breaking in and that wear metals and silicon content was high in the sample. Metal from mechanical parts and Silcon from sandcasted parts and assembly lubes and sealers from the factory.

Basically Blackstone is saying I should monitor the oil again after 4K miles. But sometime is nagging at me as I had the daler take the oil sample. With the free form OEM oil filter and the sample being taken from the oil filter chamber, I am wondering if the sample is not contaminated from trapped contents being back flushed into the sample potentially.

I changed the oil again and took another sample mid stream to send in, but figured if I had already changed the oil, why bother. I thing I will send it in to get peice of mind, but I thought I would post up on my experience to share that I am not very impressed with the stock Oil filter setup. Seems like a good idea to prevent us from ever using and aftermarket filter and with few benefits.

I will be changning these puppies every 5K looks like. I already bought 10 to keep on hand. Not much to them at all really.

Fig

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you going to post the analysis here or on BITOG? I'd be interested to see the UOA. Coming from the filter chamber may explain it, but I'm still a little surprised. Also, have you seen any of the aftermarket filters? Could you compare them to the OEM? I have a wix running in my IS-F now, but I'm running dino at this point and may or may not switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Fig. The F shares the filter cartridge dimensions with most of the other UR V8 engines... Tundra, Land Cruiser, LS cars etc. The filter part number you purchase for the F is sold in foreign markets for some of the diesels... 04152-51010. Toyota was supplying it in their 04152 - 38020 filter kit but superceded to the US made 04152 - YZZA4. There are some aftermarket filters available... Purolator is one.

Do you know the proper way to drain the cartridge housing on the F?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Fig. The F shares the filter cartridge dimensions with most of the other UR V8 engines... Tundra, Land Cruiser, LS cars etc. The filter part number you purchase for the F is sold in foreign markets for some of the diesels... 04152-51010. Toyota was supplying it in their 04152 - 38020 filter kit but superceded to the US made 04152 - YZZA4. There are some aftermarket filters available... Purolator is one.

Good info, I knew it shared some of the filter applications, but I had not seen a synthetic media replacement in any of the applications. There are no special instructions on the filter housing drain in the service manual.

Fig

·
Registered
10 Posts
The TRD filter is synthetic, part number PTR43-00081. FWIW... Claims 98% at 20 microns. The Pure One Filter claims 99.9% at 20 microns.

The F has the same filter housing arrangement as the single turbo V8 diesel Land Cruiser. To drain that housing one unscrews the filter housing approximately 4 turns aligning one of the two housing ribs on the bottom. This allows the housing to drain out properly before removing it the rest of the way to R&R the filter.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Purolator PN L25702 is what I will check into next. Thanks for the heads up. What is this turbo diesel Landcruiser you speak of? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Turbo Diesel 200 series Land Cruisers are all foreign market. They build a twin turbo 4.5 V8, and more industrial single turbo. The single turbo has the sideways mounted cartridge like the F. Goodstuff...

·
Registered
17 Posts

The filter cartrige housing can be drained easily, there is a panel near the front bumper with 4 phillips head/10mm screws that can be removed and gives access to the filter housing. The trick is having the proper wrench to loosen the cartrige. The TOY 640 by Assenmacher specialty tools, or the the OEM wrench will work well.

Also, Wix makes a filter for the IS-F, its dimensions are unique to the IS-F, and it is not listed as fitting any other toyota/lexus model. It is what I put in my F and it seems to be fine. The Purolator filter lists interchangeabiltiy with other models.

For more info on the IS-F oil and filter change, I made a post on it several weeks back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The F and TD filter are one in the same 04152-51010. I wonder why Wix has a different number?
Interestingly, Wix doesn't list the TD (4.5L V8) engine on their site at all. But the Purolator filter for the IS-F is the same as the filter for the Tundra with the 5.7L V8 and a couple other models, the wix does not cross-reference with the 5.7L V8. The IS-F filter is slightly larger inner diameter than 5.7L filter(more flow?) also wix supplies a slightly larger diameter outer gasket for the IS-F filter as compared to the 5.7 V8 gasket. I guess you could use the smaller one in a pinch, hence the purolator multi-fit. But looking at this, I'd stay with wix (or OEM) since wix has went the extra step to provide an exclusive more accurately specd filter and gasket for the IS-F.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmm, the old 04152 - 38020 kit supposedly had the 51010 filter in it. Have you measured the filters, or are you going off manufacturer data? If the info is correct, your point about using the proper filter and gasket is a wise one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm, the old 04152 - 38020 kit supposedly had the 51010 filter in it. Have you measured the filters, or are you going off manufacturer data? If the info is correct, your point about using the proper filter and gasket is a wise one.
I haven't measured, but Wix publishes all their measurements for the filters and gaskets on their website, and that is what I'm going off of. You can check it out at www.wixfilters.com The differences in measurement are very slight, but different none the less. Purolator's site only publishes the dimensions of the filter, not the gasket(s). I guess in all fairness any of the aftermarket filters are fine for a 5000 mile OCI, I'm just anal about my oil changes, and I'm a wix loyalist:D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up the purolator today. Made in india, comes with the drain plug hose (which I have never figured out where to put). Filter media looks the same. just fyi.

Fig

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
^^^^The drain is for oil filters that have a vertical orientation, like my wife's ES, and the trucks that use this filter. Out filters are have a horizontal orientation so the parts with the drain plug are not included in the filter kit specifically designated for the F.

Lou

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^^The drain is for oil filters that have a vertical orientation, like my wife's ES, and the trucks that use this filter. Out filters are have a horizontal orientation so the parts with the drain plug are not included in the filter kit specifically designated for the F.

Lou
Makes sense

1 - 16 of 16 Posts