Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wondering what you guys would think the best cleaning supplies would be for a Black on Black isF for interior and exterior

i was just at Target and i seen the Armor All Exterior wipes.
its kind of like the Meguiars Detail Spray.

im wondering if there safe to use especially on black.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely micro-fiber towels,my preference is Mcguires or Mothers on all their products--wax,tire shine,rim cleaner, etc

·
Registered
81 Posts
chamois, mircrofiber towels.

for shampoo, i just go with meguiars gold class. does the job
id get a meguiars quick detailer, great for use inbetween washes takes 10min to do the entire car.
stoners invsible glass for the windows.
for tireshine, i use just an Eagle F1.

if you want to get more fancy, you can order menzerna polies and poorboys wax, or zymol if you wanna get crazy fancy. but for OTC, meguiars is one of the better brands.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Definitely micro-fiber towels,my preference is Mcguires or Mothers on all their products--wax,tire shine,rim cleaner, etc
I definitely agree on the micro-fiber towels and Meguiars products, all of them, thats all I use :)

The Meguiars Gold Class car wash is awesome, and I just finished my first bottle of the "Ultimate Quick Detailer" which is insane and I would recommend it to anyone!

·
LexusF.com Moderator
390 Posts
stay away from armor all and formula one!! they are silicon based and will cause plastic to crack. not to mention how slippery, shiny, and easily it attracts dirt and dust.

get meguiar's everything. been using it for several years and am an amateur detailer. i've used their consumer AND professional product line.

and get some good quality MF towels. stay away from terry cloth or cotton.

·
Registered
46 Posts
stay away from armor all and formula one!! they are silicon based and will cause plastic to crack. not to mention how slippery, shiny, and easily it attracts dirt and dust.
I've used Armor All on my dash for 30 years in the Texas sun and have never had problems with cracking. You can buy a satin finish version if shiny is not your thing. I think the darkening effect on a black interior looks great personally.

For the exterior use nothing but Zaino products. Their wax is amazing, leaving a deep 3-dimensional shine that lasts for months and months. Their leather cleaner is top-notch as well, both protecting the surface and restoring that new car leather smell.

I don't think you can get their products locally so here is their website.
www.zainostore.com

Lastly, regarding microfibre, here is what the Zaino folks say in their website.

Q: Are Micro-Fiber products safe to use?

A: Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.

NOTE: If you are already using microfiber towels, look carefully at your paint finish under flourescent light when you are using your towels. If you are not getting any swirls or fine scratches from the microfiber towels, then you are okay and can continue to use them. Remember it's better to be safe than swirly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out Griot's Garage if you want the best of everything.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Personally, I use Meguiars gold class wash, in a Mr. Clean spotless car wash sprayer. Diluted Simple Green on the wheels. Always handwash, in the shade, never in the sun. Blow dry with a Toro electric leaf blower, then a clean microfiber towel to finish the drying.

Wax with Meguiars NXT or Rejex. Rejex is what I use on my airplanes. Lasts a long time in harsh environment, not quite as shiny.

Once a year or so, clean, wash, claybar the entire exterior.

Tar, bugs, other poop, clean with a liquid type bug and tar remover promptly.

The car paint will look like new for many years. Keep it out of machine washes, use the gentlest thing possible to clean it.

Interior, just use a damp cloth to clean the vinyls and plastics. Lexol cleaner works on leather. A little goes a long way, just follow the instructions. Vacuum regularly. Floor mats will come very clean in the washing machine, dry and respray with Scotchguard. Mr. Clean magic erasers are really good on stubborn scuff marks.

I got this down to a science. :)

·
LexusF.com Moderator
390 Posts
Yes, do NOT use cheapo MF towels. Feel them and check out their fiber count and weight. The higher the better. Rub it on your skin and see if it feels rough. And when you do wash them, make sure to NOT use fabric softener.

As for Armor All, yeah you can buy the low-gloss version but it still leaves the same oily, greasy feel to anything you put it on. The Meg's interior protectants give that darkening effect that you like as well, but w/o the oily, greasy residue. I personally used to use Armor All 10 years ago and liked it for it's shininess, then found out about all the glare it caused on the windshield and I hated that greasy, oily feeling and the fact it attracts dust and dirt like no other. Then I switched to Meg's and have never looked back since. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i went down to target and i bought one of thouse Vroom large microfiber Drying towels. but i don't know if i trust it or not?.. and thanks guys for the soap i ended up getting the gold class one. i don't know if i should give up and just get a Chamois. this is why i did not want to get black lol im so paranoid of it

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
and i appreciate all the help guys.
Thank you i just know my other 2 black cars looked like Sh**
I personally used this website to help me get on track washing my car and good products to wash it with. I have always heard Meguiar's had some of the best car washing products but never used them like I have now. This website helped me out, don't worry filling out the email, they never send me anything anyway :D You might find this interesting

http://www.meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out Griot's Garage if you want the best of everything.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/
Interior, just use a damp cloth to clean the vinyls and plastics. Lexol cleaner works on leather. A little goes a long way, just follow the instructions. Vacuum regularly. Floor mats will come very clean in the washing machine, dry and respray with Scotchguard. Mr. Clean magic erasers are really good on stubborn scuff marks.

I got this down to a science. :)
Thanks for such inputs. I was actually looking for this information from several threads. I might try to look for lexol cleaner too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Test Target's towels on a blank CD for swirl marks or light scratches. Chamois will strip off wax and too much work. If you don't want to spend hours on polish/wax, as long as your paint still silky smooth, wax-as-u-dry works great after every wash. Test it on bumpers and see if you can tell the difference with other waxes. Nothing looks better than a clean glossy black car ;=)

These are the best drying towels (Waffle Weave) you can get for much less than other vendors. I bought from this guys years ago and they still work.

http://waynestowels.com/page2.html

There're good tips posted at: http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/detailing/

Also: http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

Tips for regular washing: park on a slightly down slope drive way if you can, wash it as normal, use water hose without spray and hose off the soap. Let gravity does its thing and will leave less water on your paint. Lay waffle weave towel flat on the panel and gently pull. You be amazed at how much that towel can pick up water. As a bonus, you can use waffle weave towel as a duster. It works like a dust magnet, especially on a dry paint surface.

Cheers,
TP.

yeah i went down to target and i bought one of thouse Vroom large microfiber Drying towels. but i don't know if i trust it or not?.. and thanks guys for the soap i ended up getting the gold class one. i don't know if i should give up and just get a Chamois. this is why i did not want to get black lol im so paranoid of it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts