Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
time is on our side

Those RS4, S4, S5, 335i, M3 and Cymans will not be a problem for you in a year or two. Do a research on Audi, BMW and Porsche direct injection carbon deposit problem and you'll know why. They have a major design flaw in their direct injected engines on these cars. From about 5,000 miles and on, excess carbon deposit builds on the intake valves. Over time, this causes slow start, rough idle, power loss until at about 50K miles, the engine will die because it choked itself. I seen and S4 FSI cylinder head that literally had all the intake parts locked up because it was filled with rock solid carbon deposits. So these cars will self-destruct. The only other way to prevent this is do tear out the cylinder head and clean everything by hand every 5K miles. Sad part is that Audi and BMW knows about this, have refused to do anything about it and keeps on selling these cars knowing the engine will die ... after the warranty expires.

This is widely talked about in other forums where owners are envious of Lexus' foresight of having dual port and direct injectors which cleans out the valves and solves this problem! So you see... he who laughes last laughes the longest:D

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2070545

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also I never forget that I bought the F because I wanted a car that is reliable, comfortable and something that can put a grin on my face once in a while. I enjoy my leisurely ride and feel that secondary intake on a long stretch of empty road on my own terms. If my sole purpose is to beat everyone, I would have bought a C63 with the 480bhp AMG performance upgrade or a GT-R and paid $8K to get the Hennessy upgrade to a GTR600 with a 2.9s 0-60 time which can out-accelerate Lambo Murcielagos.
Our F is probably the best all round sports sedan when you consider every category so be at peace with yourself, my friend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No, Mercedes is not affected by this problem yet because as far as I know they have not adopted direct injection in their engines. The C55 is definitely okay. The VW group has embraced DI engines and hence problems are starting to surface. C55 is a great car. I test drove one and the V8 make beautiful music.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I test drove a 2006 black C55 in pristine condition. The car only had 17K miles. I like the way it pulled so strongly, the glorious exhaust and the handling feel. Interior is tastefully done except for Merc's silly cell phone buttons on the center console which they still have in the current C class models. In terms of looks, I actually like the previous generation C class than the current one. The C55 looks smaller, more fluid and sleek than the C63.
I drove the car on a Saturday and was going to put an offer the following Friday but found out it was already sold! So I visited a Lexus dealership the next day, saw the IS-F and the rest is history!
I did research the C55 and 2 things you should watch out for is signs of oil leaking under the valve cover and HVAC stepper motor. The HVAC motor has flimsy plastic gears which tends to break causing loss of control of temp/airflow. It's a costly repair requiring diassembly of the dashboard. The telltale sign is a clicking sound behind the dashboard when the fan is on.
Other than that the V8 is much more reliable (not Lexus/Toyota reliable but not bad for a European car) than the supercharged V6 on the C32. If possible you should have your mechanic check the car before buying. Keep in mind that there will still be more maintenance and unplanned trips to the mechanic vs the IS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.