Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't think it was a fair match at all. the M3 was a coupe with DCT. They should've used a 4 door with DCT. I say the IS-F wins only because if they used a 4 door M3, it looks like it would've been slower than the IS-F. The M3 was only 1/2 a second faster than a car that has 2 more doors and weighs in at least 200lbs heavier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After thinking about it for a while, I realized that someone on here said the M3 used launched control. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! After using launch control, it only got nearly 1/2 a sec. faster. That's a shame BMW!!!

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
c'mon fellas. Don't give bimmer that much of credit. 60 to 100 was on .27 (just a bit over 1/4) of a second and 1/2 mile sprint was .31 or just under 1/3 of a second. But the F did jump on the 1/2 mile the final time was ISF=131.5mph @ 21.2sec and m3=132.5mph @ 20.89 sec.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I have the same thoughts as everyone else. Why is it so hard for the ISF to get a fair test against the competition? Why wasn't the ISF in manual mode during these tests? The ISF seemed to jump on the M3 every time, but then the M3 kept walking away...The ISF was definitely NOT being driven properly. I wonder if BMW just doesn't give up M3 sedans for tests because they know the results will be much worse than with the coupe? Kind makes the results null and void considering that a coupe and a sedan are two different cars. Many people would love to drive a coupe, but must have a sedan for the reality of daily needs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's funny how I see people making excuses for the ISF.
Plain and simple M3 is a little better. Doesn't mean that our car sucks just means that the M is a little better.
T

·
Registered
386 Posts
No excuses are offered. And to use your words, Plain and Simple, The testing was a farce.

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
It's funny how I see people making excuses for the ISF.
Plain and simple M3 is a little better. Doesn't mean that our car sucks just means that the M is a little better.
T
Hey, I'll agree with your statement, but it needs to be specified as to what parts the bimmer is better. The bimmer is faster and designed more for the track than the F, but the F, imo, is a better car all around. I like the fit, finish and quality of the Lexus line far better than any bmw. I'll concede that the m3 stock will handle better than a stock F on the track. The reliability of any Lexus is far superior than any bmw though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My sister can drive the F better than Tanner did. That test was a joke. If it lost by a bit, no biggie, I can accept that since the overall fit/finish and quality is greater than the M3. However, my grandma would have won with the jump that the F got in both acceleration tests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sister can drive the F better than Tanner did. That test was a joke. If it lost by a bit, no biggie, I can accept that since the overall fit/finish and quality is greater than the M3. However, my grandma would have won with the jump that the F got in both acceleration tests.
I think as a forum we should call Tanner out for an M3 vs ISF rematch. He can drive his M3 and any of us who have track experience would be able to give him a run for his money - certainly in the acceleration tests. If Fousts M3 is no longer stock then so much the better as there are plenty of modded ISFs on this forum that can take him on.

·
LexusF.com SPAM Police
689 Posts
I think as a forum we should call Tanner out for an M3 vs ISF rematch. He can drive his M3 and any of us who have track experience would be able to give him a run for his money - certainly in the acceleration tests. If Fousts M3 is no longer stock then so much the better as there are plenty of modded ISFs on this forum that can take him on.
WOOOOAAAAHHHHHH!!! I like the challenge!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Someone needs to invite Speedvision over here and call them out haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm...

The result do look illogical. In all the tests I seen (Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Best Motoring) the IS-F always beats the M3 in 0-60 by about half a car length and they are about even in the quarter mile. Usually they also include the C63in the super sports sedan test and that always takes first with 450ft/lb of toque! Also the IS-F has stronger brakes than the M3. That is something the Lexus engineers paid particular attention to after studying the weakness with the E46 M3's brakes.
I would think the M3 should have won the road course due to its complex differential etc.
There could be a number of factors for these results:
tires - putting a set of BS RE-11 or Toyo comp tires on the IS-F would have totally reverse the results. We don't know about the condition or type of tire on the cars
driver - skills, familiarity with the car etc
bias - this could be intentional or not
favours - German car makes are not as squeaky clean as one may think. JAnd being showered with gift and goodies sometime make journalist favour one brand or another. read this and you may get a better idea of how German car companies keep their legendary status:mad: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN238501720100323

·
Registered
79 Posts
TEd C,

When you say that if the ISF had RE11 on? (Why not turbo)
OF course it would handle better but again compare stock for stock.
No excuses. I find the F's don't breath enough.
I've raced my instructor in his non modified M3 2010.
Granted he is a better driver than me but I had my hands full with my mods.
T

·
Registered
79 Posts
The result do look illogical. In all the tests I seen (Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Best Motoring) the IS-F always beats the M3 in 0-60 by about half a car length and they are about even in the quarter mile. Usually they also include the C63in the super sports sedan test and that always takes first with 450ft/lb of toque! Also the IS-F has stronger brakes than the M3. That is something the Lexus engineers paid particular attention to after studying the weakness with the E46 M3's brakes.
I would think the M3 should have won the road course due to its complex differential etc.
There could be a number of factors for these results:
tires - putting a set of BS RE-11 or Toyo comp tires on the IS-F would have totally reverse the results. We don't know about the condition or type of tire on the cars
driver - skills, familiarity with the car etc
bias - this could be intentional or not
favours - German car makes are not as squeaky clean as one may think. JAnd being showered with gift and goodies sometime make journalist favour one brand or another. read this and you may get a better idea of how German car companies keep their legendary status:mad: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN238501720100323

The initial tests were conducted on 2008\2009..with no LSD. With LSD, on a track, it might be an entirely new result.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.