Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on another forum that several people have complained to Lexus about the brake dust buildup that has caused pitting / corrosion in the corners between the spokes.

I definitely have this issue, even with washing / glazing the rims weekly. I think I am going to complain to Lexus about this, since several others have. Is anybody else on the forum having this problem, and have you contacted your dealer or Lexus to get replacements / refinish?

I also noticed some paint missing on the hood in places, looks like a bug hit the hood at a fast speed and etched in or a rock or something... I asked my detailer and he said there is nothing he can do about it. What can we do for paint touch up? I'm going to call the dealer about this, but I do not want to get raped in markup. If it wasn't for the clear bra, I'd have 20 or so dings, but the clear bra thankfully prevented a bunch (except on the chrome surround around the grill which got a nice big rock ding).

I have 22k pleasant miles on my IS-F and I feel like I'm not keeping it up to par cosmetically... Or is anybody else having problems as well?

·
Registered
54 Posts
buy the paint marker touch up it's 10$

·
Registered
386 Posts
Same issue on my wheels and the paint is so delicate on this car and / or Lexus in general. Let us know what the dealer wants to do about the wheels, I am interested. I would like to see if they will warranty the pitting before I replace the stock pads with the Hawk pads.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There was an old thread about this issue. Someone said that those pittings can be fixed by using a clay bar, but I doubt it. I clean my wheels often, but I see dark spots on the same places mentioned, which I can't take off. The odd thing about it is that they're only on the front right wheel. I'll point it out to the dealership on my next visit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
as far as the wheels are concerned. i clean them thoroughly each time i wash my car, and even tho i've managed to only put on 5122km this year before i put it away....i did clay bar the wheels before i put the cover on, and it did take off alot of bed in dust that cant be washed off.

so im going to say try it......

i use megs clay bar btw.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
There was an old thread about this issue. Someone said that those pittings can be fixed by using a clay bar, but I doubt it. I clean my wheels often, but I see dark spots on the same places mentioned, which I can't take off. The odd thing about it is that they're only on the front right wheel. I'll point it out to the dealership on my next visit.
I was that someone! Check out this link,
http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734&highlight=wheel+pitting

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a mothers claybar kit from Autozone. It cleaned 3 / 4 wheels but the front right wheel has some dust that is seriously etched into the wheel. Hopefully I can coax Lexus into refinishing this one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As far as the paint is concerned, I have a full clear bra on the front, so there's no chipping on the hood either. A full protection (like putting your car in a condom) would cost you about $4k, according to Aerotect. I don't know if that whole idea is just going overboard, but I thought about it. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also have the clear bar paint protector. Full hood, full front bumper,
backs of mirrors, and partial front fenders. Not cheap but having my
ultrasonic blue paint chipped is not something I wanna deal with.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with clear bra is once you do get hit wit a rock and it scratches up the bra, your only option is to pay for another expensive bra. My clear bra has been blasted with rocks / bugs at high speeds and it looks terrible. Time for another one :(

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
clear bra on the hood fenders bumper and mirrors is 700. my shop does it and i have it on my car

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided I'm just going to take the rims to a wheel repair shop since they do have some significant curb rash... $130 a rim to make them brand new. Then I am going to seal the wheels with Klasse and top it off with a wax layer as well. If there is still etching after weekly washes, then it's a lost cause.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clear bra was $500 per car for me since we had 2 done at the same time they took $100 off per car. I have the same pitting problem with my rims and I'm not very happy about it. The problem seems to be bad on both fronts. I have a minor curb rash on my driver side front which I'm not happy about but I'll have to get it fixed eventually and in the process I'll see if they can take care of the pitting. Hopefully I can get them sealed after that. Any ideas on dustless pads and is it even worth it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
there is no such thing as dustless pads. some will just appear to dust less, because the dust will be a different color....

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Clear bra was $500 per car for me since we had 2 done at the same time they took $100 off per car. I have the same pitting problem with my rims and I'm not very happy about it. The problem seems to be bad on both fronts. I have a minor curb rash on my driver side front which I'm not happy about but I'll have to get it fixed eventually and in the process I'll see if they can take care of the pitting. Hopefully I can get them sealed after that. Any ideas on dustless pads and is it even worth it?
The Hawk brake pads, mainly the ceramic pads have been very popular with IS-F owners. They do dust less than factory pads and emit a lighter color dust as well. They are rotor friendly and have a less metallic content and the dust doesn't build up in the corners of the spokes and doesn't appear as pitting like the factory pads. Hawk uses ferro-carbon to help build friction heat quicker and give better performance. Just let me know if you would like a set of Hawk Ceramic front brake pads, I have them in stock and I can send you the pricing. I think you'll find they are worth it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Hawk brake pads, mainly the ceramic pads have been very popular with IS-F owners. They do dust less than factory pads and emit a lighter color dust as well. They are rotor friendly and have a less metallic content and the dust doesn't build up in the corners of the spokes and doesn't appear as pitting like the factory pads. Hawk uses ferro-carbon to help build friction heat quicker and give better performance. Just let me know if you would like a set of Hawk Ceramic front brake pads, I have them in stock and I can send you the pricing. I think you'll find they are worth it.
Please send me a quote on these brake pads Champ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts