Newbie, need info to decide - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum

post #1 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
axtellz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Newbie, need info to decide

Hi all-
Nice to "meet" you all. I stumbled upon your site while doing some research on my next toy- hope you can steer me a bit.

About me: i am a the owner of a 73 datsun 240Z and 74 260Z, as well as an 06 Mustang GT convertible. I love my Z cars, and my original intent was to pick up a GTR. We all know the story on those right now... i refuse to pay the premium price, so i am moving on.

I love my 'Stang, though i'd like a bit more power, but my biggest gripe are the seats. Maybe its just me, but i get a pain between my shoulder blades if i spend much time in it- no amount of adjusting really helps

The old z cars are great, but peformance-wise, while great for 30 years ago- is quite ho-hum today. Plus they always make me smell like gas fumes..

C63amg interested me, but they seem to be made of unobtainium, plus the reliability seems questionable.

M3 is a logical choice, but again i have read some scary reliability stories- and it seems i see a BMW everytime i go anywhere..

So- to get to the point.
I read all the major magazine comparos- considered the ISF, but didn't really like the looks in the pics. THEN- i stopped by a dealership & saw one on the lot. Decided i like it after all
Have not driven one, because i only get there when the dealer is closed- but i'd like some of your opinions one the F. Primarily- comfort? Amenities?

As i said, i love my Mustang- almost bought a GT500, but it really lacks the creature comforts i deserve for that much cash.. and i need a seat that fits well for a 5'11" 210 pounder, wide in the shoulders

Anyone else own a newer mustang that can give me a comparo?
Thanks to all of you, pleasure to meet you!
Jeremiah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 AM
permasmile

Hi there Jeremiah.
I just started posting here myself as I am celebrating my one week anniversary of taking delivery of my brand new ISF. I think my username says it all! I know one week is not a long time to make a logical assessment of a car but then again if any of us use logic to buy a car we'd all be driving civics!lol All I can say is drive the car. The power is unbelievable and I'm still taking it easy, trying to break it in properly. The handling on the car is equally impressive and its power, once again drive the car! At just under 200lbs and 6ft tall I find the car extremely comfortable although I will say the the side supports fits me perfectly, a little wider and I wonder if I could say the same.
One more time.... Drive the car!!!! I mentioned in my first post the experiences I have driving the car around, the attention is incredible. Just today I've seen 5 Ferraris, 2 Lambo's, and I can't even count how many Bimmers but not one ISF.
Obviously the decision is yours and you're on a Lexus ISF forum so your response will be a little one-sided but I'll go ahead and say it...^%#& the M3, I would trade my ISF for anything right now!
Talk to you soon, I'm off for another ride!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 AM
permasmile

Big oops,
I meant I WOULDN'T trade my ISF for anything right now!!!!

post #4 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
axtellz

Thanks for the input-
The curse of owning your own business & working 6 days a week.. no free time for test drives.. when i'm off, the dealers are generally closed

On the upside, at least it makes things affordable!

Enjoy the ride, the more i research, the more i like this car!
Jeremiah
post #5 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
FChampOH

Jeremiah,
Nice to meet you. I am new here also but look forward to help increase the "F" culture and awareness. I am a little biased toward the Lexus brand since I work for a dealer but I can tell you that the IS-F is the best packaged car available in it's segment today. It does everything exceptionally well from an enthusiast point of view. I have spent time in various brands of cars from BMW to Porsche and even Panoz racing school cars on varoius tracks throughout the country and in comparison, the IS-F in my opinion has it all. Motor Trend magazine quoted the seating position in this car as "perfect". 416 hp and 14"+ rotors with 6 piston brembo calipers! In a nutshell, it goes like heck and stops even better. If you ever make your way down towards the Dayton Ohio area, I would make myself available to let you test drive one! Even on Sunday! You won't go wrong with the Lexus reliability. The IS-F is currently outpacing the M3 sedan in sales nationwide. Hope this helps.

Doug

Last edited by Flipside909; 08-18-2008 at 04:43 AM.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
alexzxlex

I concur with FChamp & permasmile. The car is simply great.

Speedlimits are for the guidance of Wisemen & the obedience of FOOLS
post #7 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
permasmile

Jeremiah, make the time. I also own my own business and literally work 7 days a week-retail is a bitch!!!! Give your local dealer a call, a good salesman will make the time to come to you.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
BigMikeISF

Welcome to the site axtellz!!

I have had my IS-F for close to three months now and absolutely love it! Like permasmile said, I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. I travel a lot within the state of Texas and have been on two pretty decently long road trip and I have to say, it is a blast to drive on the open road, and surprisingly comfortable, even the ride is comfortable in my opinion. You really need to test drive an IS-F to understand why we all love the car so much. I didn't like it much either when I first saw it but once I visited the dealership I fell in love with it, took a test drive, and drove the showroom car off the lot. I am also a wide shouldered guy, (5'8, 218 pounds, bodybuilder) and I find the seats very comfortable. I have no problem getting into or out of the car and when I have taken those long trips, I don't find myself needing to stop to stretch or anything of the sort. I really like the fact it is a performance car (supercharger is supposedly coming out for it) and it has the reliability of Lexus while being a M3 competitor. The touch screen navigation and inside features are great. I absolutely love the car. I do say though, find some time to test drive one, then you'll really love the car. Let us know how it goes.

2008 Mercury Metallic IS-F - Work Gnosis GS3 Wheels Burning Black Centers with Polished Lips F: 20x9 R:20x11; Nitto Invo Tires F: 245/30/20 R: 285/25/20; Lexon Front Lip, Rear Roof Spoiler and CF Fog Covers; Custom Rear Diffuser and Tinted Tails; Joe Z Exhaust; AFE Takeda Intake; Blitz Throttle Controller; Smoked Emblems; JDM Window Visors; Tein Springs; Passport 9500xi Radar Detector; 5% Tint including windshield (I think that's it but might be missing something...feel free to ask)
post #9 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
permasmile

I kinda wish I was a salesman for Lexus right now, just let them test drive it and its like shooting fish in a barrel!lol
I'm sure we'll be hearing from jeremiah shortly with news of the delivery of his brand new ISF
post #10 of 35 Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
axtellz

Thanks to all of you.
I nearly have myself convinced, without the test drive! I really do need to make the time- but i live way out in the country- its about 40 miles to a dealer.
Now my wife says since it isn't a convertible, we need to keep the 'Stang (oh, poor me to be married to a girl who loves me so!)
But i am out of garage space, so its time to sell a Z car, or two

The local (Rochester, NY) dealer only has a red F in stock, and i just don't care for the rims with the red- looks ricey to me (sorry, mean no offense!)

I think i'll see if i can drive that one, then order black- i really like the black.
Anyone have a pic of the smoky granite? i like that as well. Decisions, decisions...
Again, thanks to all of you.
BTW- i have a son in Columbus- how far to Dayton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum > Lexus IS-F Discussion > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode