Peleg's Guide to Detailing your car - Page 3 - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum

post #21 of 35 Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
isflojo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can take off the housing of the center brake light to have a little more room for vacuuming. There is also a window cleaner tool you can buy at Bed Bath & Beyond, that makes it easy for reaching.

Jesus loves you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
krell

Quote:
Originally Posted by isflojo View Post
You can take off the housing of the center brake light to have a little more room for vacuuming. There is also a window cleaner tool you can buy at Bed Bath & Beyond, that makes it easy for reaching.
How does one go about removing the brake light housing? Is it easy?

Ugh, I hate BB&B (I call it Bed, Bath & Beyond Your Budget), but that might be worth a visit.

Last edited by krell; 09-11-2009 at 03:35 AM.
post #23 of 35 Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 AM
isflojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
How does one go about removing the brake light housing? Is it easy?

Ugh, I have BB&B (I call it Bed, Bath & Beyond Your Budget), but that might be worth a visit.
There are two buttons on both sides that you press simultaneously to take it off. The guy that did my tints showed me.

LOL! You might be able to find the cleaning tool at your local Pep Boys, Kragen, or Autozone as well.

I believe you can also take out the rear headrests to make room, I'm not sure.....I'll take a look later.

Jesus loves you!

post #24 of 35 Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
2URGSE

Sorry for the delays in this thread guys, my life has been pretty crazy. I bought my first house, and selling both of my cars.

I ended up with an 06 Honda Accord V6 coupe, which is actually pretty nice. I hope to join the ranks of the ISF sometime in 2012-2013 if things workout right, maybe earlier, who knows.

I'm in NorCal, if anyone would like a private lesson with detailing their cars, please let me know.
post #25 of 35 Old 12-12-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
2URGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell View Post
Thanks, Peleg. Along with a carbon fiber license plate frame/cover, I just ordered the 5-gallon bucket with gritt guard from AutoGeeks.

I have only owned my Obsidian IS-F for 2 months, but there are some minor, minor swirls (probably from dealer washes). If I give it a good treatment with clay bar, wax, etc., will it get rid of those??
Krell,

Minor swirls can be taken out with an orbital polisher. Before that can happen though, you need to wash the car, claybar the paint and once the paint is clean and dry, then you can tackle the swirls.
post #26 of 35 Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
2URGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedout View Post
What should I use to clean the chrome exhaust tips? See below.

An old rug, soapy water (automotive soap ofcourse) and some elbow grease.

Once it's clean and dry, get some metal polish (Adam's metal polish is pretty good) and use a clean towel (and make it your metal polishing towel) or some paper towels and bring the metal into a nice shine.
post #27 of 35 Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
2URGSE

Here are the wheels off my WRX STi, yes, they still look like that after 6 years of ownership and have no curb rush either.

My favorite wheels cleaner is P21S, it eats away Brembo brake dust and will not harm the wheel finish.

A pressure washer is a must if you want to achieve good results.

You'll also need a good wheel brush made from teflon, a cardboard box to place the wheels on so they don't scratch on the floor or wherever you're working.

For wheel sealant, I use Poorboy's wheel sealant (don't let the name brand fool you).

I do this once a year, taking off all 4 wheels and cleaning them by hand.

A good pair of dish washing gloves will keep the brembo dust off your hands. (Brake dust is not a very healthy substance)

Spray each wheel with the pressure washer to get off the dirt, then spray it with P21S wheel cleaner and let that sit for a bit.

Get the brush wet with some water and start scrubing.

Hose off the wheel.

Repeat until the wheels are clean.

Dry the wheels with a towel.

Now you can apply the wheel sealant and buff.

2. I also use this as an opprotunity to detail the wheel wells, brake calipers.

For wheel wells you'll need P21S general cleaner (red/white bottle) or Adam's all purpose cleaner.

Hose the wheel wells off and then spray them with some cleaner. Scrub with the teflon brush and hose them off.

Dry them with a towel and then you can apply some plastic/vinyal spray to make them shine a bit.
post #28 of 35 Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 PM
phlabrasca

Vouch for P21S wheel cleaner. It's the best you can get.
post #29 of 35 Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
2URGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlabrasca View Post
Vouch for P21S wheel cleaner. It's the best you can get.

Yup, get the 1000 ml (1 liter) bottle concentrate and have another spray bottle to mix with some hot water.

The P21S general purpose cleaner is my choice for engine degreaser and cleaning the wheel wells. (also 1000 ml bottle)
post #30 of 35 Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
2URGSE

For wheel sealant, I like Poorboy's wheel sealant. It comes in plastic can, it's pink and smells sort of fruity. :lol:

Once a year wheel treatment will keep your BBS wheels like new.

At the same time, you can detail the wheel wells and clean the calipers with a teflon brush. Since the Calipers are painted, I like to give them a small coat of wheel sealant as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum > Lexus IS-F Discussion > Appearance / Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode