Crazy Brake Prices!!!! WTF - Page 3 - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum

post #21 of 74 Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
swisstimezone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Direct quote from Lexus

High-friction brakes are standard equipment for the front brakes only and require periodic inspection and measurement as outlined in the Warranty and Services Guide. The pads and rotors are expected to experience greater wear than conventional brakes. Pad life "may" be less than 20,000 miles, and brake rotor life may be less than 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions.

So WHY are Babied vehicles needing brake pads and ROTORS at 8000 to 10000 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Fig

I have some hard numbers to share with all of you from today. I did a pad inspection on my vehicle with 18K miles. Here are the results.
Driver's side outer measured thickness 0.265"
Driver's side inner measured thickness 0.250"
Squeal warning tab measured 0.100"
New Hawk HPS measured 0.375"

My conclusion is that your dealers are either unfamiliar with how to measure pad wear on these pads, want to take your money, or you have not babies the car as much as you lead on. I am only 1/3 through the total pad thickness and my guess would be I could carry these pads out to 30K no problem. I drive my car pretty hard, I did not get to the track this year but I would anticipate track driving would wear these out at a higher rate. The brake inspection took only 30-40 minutes, these pads slide right out, one nut, two spring pins and a little pressure on the pistons to free them up.

I had expected more wear and I was going to swap in my hawk HPS, but I think I will do new rotors at the same time and let these runout a little more. I am pretty picky about proper bed-in and would prefer a fresh surface to evauate the new pad compound. Here are the pics.

Serving the IS community since 2001

Last edited by Fig; 10-18-2009 at 08:53 PM.
post #23 of 74 Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Fig

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid View Post
From what I have seen it looks like for stock fitment Raybestos is the only other rotor option, and not a bad one at that.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca....google.com%2B

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1792332
Yeah those look great and I will probably pick up a set. I was thinking more on tehlines of developing my own 2-peice rotors with Racing brake again, but it looks like the largest ring they have is 355 and the ISF is 360mm. which is a real bummer

Serving the IS community since 2001

post #24 of 74 Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
lowrider

Thumbs up

Fig, thanks for sharing

2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Wife's
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
post #25 of 74 Old 10-24-2009, 03:22 AM
micaISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstimezone View Post
High-friction brakes are standard equipment for the front brakes only and require periodic inspection and measurement as outlined in the Warranty and Services Guide. The pads and rotors are expected to experience greater wear than conventional brakes. Pad life "may" be less than 20,000 miles, and brake rotor life may be less than 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions.

So WHY are Babied vehicles needing brake pads and ROTORS at 8000 to 10000 miles?
have you considered the possibility that maybe the dealer had been lying, incompetent or both? my tire dealer lied to me last week that i needed new front tires which have about 50% of the tread left. many business people are no different from predators and some of them are incompetent on top of that.
post #26 of 74 Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
2URGSE

OP: Check into rotors from StopTech and DBA with a different set of pads.

Comming from the Subaru STi world, that car uses a 4 piston Brembo brakes on the front and it's the same deal, people getting quoted crazy prices for replacements.

The truth of the matter, you can get some aftermarket rotors (brands I just mentioned) with great pads, and even upgrade to stainless steel brake lines for less than $1000.

The Brembo stuff is EXPENSIVE, especially from the dealership. Don't panic and sell the car because of what the dealer quoted you, just research it out and you'll find great alternatives.

* If you're doing Stainless Steel brake lines upgrade, make sure to check what brake fluid your car calls for before swapping fluids with aftermarket fluids. Different brake systems have different needs.

Peleg.
post #27 of 74 Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 PM
2URGSE

I might have to take my words back, after some searching, doesn't seem any aftermarket companies have made rotors for the ISF yet.

StopTech, are you reading this????
post #28 of 74 Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM
UCrazyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peleg View Post
I might have to take my words back, after some searching, doesn't seem any aftermarket companies have made rotors for the ISF yet.

StopTech, are you reading this????

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca....google.com%2B

^^ rotors for ISF $108

Andy
2008 Starfire Pearl
Nor Cal.
post #29 of 74 Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
2URGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid View Post
Very cool.

How is the quality?

* See that you're in NorCal, where abouts?
post #30 of 74 Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 PM
infinus

From my experiences the dealers usually are overeager on replacing parts but so far I haven't used my local dealer yet so we'll see.

www.infinusphoto.com
08 Starfire Pearl IS-F | Joe Z intake/exhaust | AFE pro dry S filter | DIY intake mod | Eibach springs | full matte black Work VSXX's | S4play diffuser | aerotect CF overlay inside and out | cf roof spoiler | Sikky headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum > Lexus IS-F Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode