Crazy Brake Prices!!!! WTF - Page 2 - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum

post #11 of 74 Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 AM
trackaddict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just had my 15K miles oil change at dealer. And I'm on my third set of front pads and rotors, second set of rear pads and rotors. But of course with 30 track days, that's normal for me. It's a price I paid for fun.
Raybestos make better and cheaper front rotors for ISF.
Carbotech make better and cheaper pads. Try them to see if you like them.

trackaddict 08 Mercury Metalic ISF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 AM
IsFly168

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to IsFly168
Boy am I glad that I work on cars, I can do all these myself, I'll probably shoot myself if I had to pay $1500 for front pads and rotors installed.....
post #13 of 74 Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
IN Is-F

My ISF only has 3700 miles but the brake prices are definitely scaring me. I looked up the Raybestos rotors and they are only 107$ each on Rockauto.com. I imagine I will be trying those when my fronts need replacing. Those and the Hawk pads for the front. Any leads on rear rotors?

__________________________________________________ ____________
'08 UBM ISF - Joe Z exhaust and intake - TOMS drop in filter - Hawk front pads

post #14 of 74 Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
isflojo

Why do the rotors have to be replaced with the pads? Looking at other posts, this seems normal for performance cars. Are there similar rotors out there that would last longer? Changing rotors and pads at 8600 miles is ridiculous.

Jesus loves you!
post #15 of 74 Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM
beatlepd

I just had my 10k service this morning and I was told my front brakes are down to just 3mm and would need to be replaced, along with the rotors, at the next service (15k). I was quoted $1,400 and after reading this post, it seems to be slightly higher than other quotes.

Either way, I do not drive aggressively and often downshift to slow the car down versus constantly having the foot on the brakes. This seems to be a ridiculously high price considering how often they will need to be replaced. What suggestions are out there for having a longer brake life, as I noticed some chap is getting 21k miles on his set? Any chance of buying Brembo brakes and rotors elsewhere and saving some cash?

Also, the brakes started squealing at 4k miles so paying that much for squeals is making me reach the breaking point with the car (in addition to not being able to use the nav screen while in motion).

'08 Ultrasonic Blue Mica

Last edited by beatlepd; 10-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.
post #16 of 74 Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
UCrazyKid

While the mileage/interval sounds a little short, the pricing is right on for a high performance braking system. The Brembo set up on my 911 cost the same.

Need to edit this. the Porsche cost was the same, NOT INCLUDING LABOR, that would be for the parts only, so by comparison the F is cheap.

Andy
2008 Starfire Pearl
Nor Cal.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 10-16-2009 at 04:12 AM.
post #17 of 74 Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Fig

At 16K with aggressive driving and I still have pretty good pad life. I plan on changing out with Hawk HPS pads and they are no where near that pricey. These calipers are made to make brake changes easy, so I would never have the dealer do it.

Still looking into other rotor options.

Fig

Serving the IS community since 2001
post #18 of 74 Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 AM
UCrazyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
At 16K with aggressive driving and I still have pretty good pad life. I plan on changing out with Hawk HPS pads and they are no where near that pricey. These calipers are made to make brake changes easy, so I would never have the dealer do it.

Still looking into other rotor options.

Fig

From what I have seen it looks like for stock fitment Raybestos is the only other rotor option, and not a bad one at that.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca....google.com%2B

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1792332

Andy
2008 Starfire Pearl
Nor Cal.
post #19 of 74 Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM
isflojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
just had my 15K miles oil change at dealer. And I'm on my third set of front pads and rotors, second set of rear pads and rotors. But of course with 30 track days, that's normal for me. It's a price I paid for fun.
Raybestos make better and cheaper front rotors for ISF.
Carbotech make better and cheaper pads. Try them to see if you like them.
Any issues with the Raybestos? Although the price looks good, it makes me doubt its quality.

Jesus loves you!
post #20 of 74 Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM
swisstimezone

Angry Thanks, Hope Lexus is Listening!!

I was about to pick up a 2010 ISF today and then read this thread! Who in their right mind thinks that 8600 miles is normal brake pad wear? How did Car and Driver magazine manage to flog a car for a year put almost put 40K miles on the car before it needed front pads?? 8600 miles for that matter 15000 miles sounds insane!! and the repair costs!! I called 3 seperate service depts. and every one had a different price from $1100 to $1700 for a Front brake job. Why would ANYONE think this is normal and why do the Lexus service reps seem to go along with it being normal. Your all Insane!
I was about to sign a 3 year lease which would mean 3 brake jobs according to most of the people in this thread! This thread was enough to make consider another vehicle BRAND altogether.
Good Luck at the Lexus Dealer! and doing the brakes yourself is Hardly Any Consilation! Lexus should face it has a Problem with the brakes on this Car!!! plain and simple!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum > Lexus IS-F Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode