What type of auto shop would you use to install headers/exhaust? - Page 3 - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum

post #21 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
ERDoc74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Paul from PPE.... (very good customer service btw) Anyway, if you purchase the optional high flow cats, they don't send the "O2 conditioner" kit as they assume they will be installed at the time of header install.... (not the case obviously in my situation as they will be installed in the next couple of weeks and will also be removed intermittently (via V-Band clamps) for track days). BTW he explained that this is not a true O2 sim and they call it "O2 conditioner" as it "modifies the O2 sensor signal" and doesn't just simply generate a false signal for the ECU. (he says this is better, as well....) He also said that when the CEL is on because of no O2 conditioner installed, that he's been aware of issues like mine with first gear and traction control lights, etc.... SO, hopefully I'll get the part tomorrow am and will be taking it to he shop to get it installed tomorrow.... and all the issues (minus the scratched wheel...) will be resolved! I'll keep you all posted!

'11 IS-F USBM, ML/Nav,
Countermeasures: Beltronics STi-R Plus custom installed Radar Dectector w/ custom installed display in Rear view mirror, Laser Interceptor laser jammers (Quad set-up)
Exterior mods: Clear bra, Tint
Performance Mods: PPE headers w/ magnaflo high flow cats, Joe Z intake & exhaust & aFe Pro Dry S filter, BCR Coilovers with swift springs, Sikky sway bar, Tom's chasis bracing & shock tower brace
Planned Performance Mods: Fig's Mega arms & toe links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
F'n around
LexusF.com SPAM Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDoc74 View Post
I wasn't aware there was a way to get around dropping the engine...
Well I did some searching on this forum and I found the post I was referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKKY View Post
Ok, here are some of the answers to your questions. Let us know if we missed some.

for the install the motor does not need to be pulled, or dropped. Our design allows for install with just lowering the cross member slightly (couple inches). The install is only recommended for someone with a good amount of experience with access to professional tools and equipment, definitely not a backyard jack stand job. Having said that though, and personally installing a lot of other headers over the years on other v8 cars it's definitely not the worst install. We will have detailed instructions for install that will walk the installer through the proper procedure.

All dyno runs were done in 4th gear on a dynapack dyno with SAE correction.

The microprocessor install takes minutes and is only a couple wires.

We will try to get the dyno video of before and after up today or tomorrow.
https://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/ne...wreply&p=22501

It has been so long since I read that post I didn't realize that that is how SIKKY has theirs designed. I would be curious if the PPE's can be installed the same way. I would assume that it would work, but you know how assumptions go. Your best bet is to ask Paul about it.

My bad, I hope I didn't give you too much bad info.

James

Starfire Pearl 04/05/08.....CHEERS!!!
post #23 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
ERDoc74

Paul did confirm that their headers can be installed without dropping the motor, but the supplied instructions include dropping the engine.... He did state they were redoing their instructions and including more pics to make install easier. I wish my shop would have had those instructions, however it might not of helped since I'm not even sure they looked at the current version of instructions...

'11 IS-F USBM, ML/Nav,
Countermeasures: Beltronics STi-R Plus custom installed Radar Dectector w/ custom installed display in Rear view mirror, Laser Interceptor laser jammers (Quad set-up)
Performance Mods: PPE headers w/ magnaflo high flow cats, Joe Z intake & exhaust & aFe Pro Dry S filter, BCR Coilovers with swift springs, Sikky sway bar, Tom's chasis bracing & shock tower brace

Last edited by ERDoc74; 09-23-2011 at 01:23 AM.

post #24 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM
F'n around
LexusF.com SPAM Police

Well it looks like you are getting the help from Paul that you need. I'm glad to hear that you are getting your answers. Have you found a shop to put the cats in? Or are you going to wait a bit after you get the O2 sim's installed?

Starfire Pearl 04/05/08.....CHEERS!!!
post #25 of 26 Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
ERDoc74

Well I wanted to give everybody a final update on the status of my PPE header install/CEL issues... I FINALLY got my issue resolved a few days ago thanks to Paul at PPE! (I probably had called/talked to him a dozen times over the last month trying to get things straightened out and he was always great!)
Anyway, so after the shop installed the O2 conditioner, it did not resolve the CEL issue... So we initialy thought the unit was bad and would need a different one, but Paul confirmed that the CEL codes were due to the front O2 sensors and not the rear ones which the O2 conditioner are for... So we then thought the front O2 sensors got damaged during the install and the shop gave their conditioned response "We didn't break it".... So I had to pay for new ones and they installed them ($600 later)... and STILL the same CEL codes... (the removed O2 sensors checked out ok too, so if anybody needs some, I'll sell for good price.)
So, Paul thought that possibly the front O2 sensor wiring harness extension that comes with the headers might be bad and have a short for some reason... so he quickly sent some new ones...
After install, the shop disclosed one of the original wiring harness had definite heat damage and melted wires from touching something hot.. (i suspect the headers), but after putting on the new ones, STILL the same CEL codes... so I'm like, WTF??? grrrr...
I call Paul and he said that the melted wires probably blew a fuse and that could be the culprit. So another trip to the shop and SURE ENOUGH, (even though they had said they were dubious that was the cause) a fuse for the front AF ratio sensor was blown and after replacement.. FINALLY NO CEL'S!!!!! It was just in time too cause I went to the track that same day for my second track day experience and I was able to now have 1st gear back and able to disable VSC and trac control.
On a seperate note, the same shop installed some SS brake lines and put in racing brake fluid for less brake fade for track days (which definitely made a difference BTW!!!) but now I'm hearing, immediately after the intall, intermittent rubbing/high pitched vibration coming from what sounds like the front of the car.... I haven't mentioned it to the shop yet cause I'm sure they're gonna be like "JESUS!!" but does anybody have a clue what this could be?
I also had my high flow cats welded in by another shop.... I didn't end up using the V-Band clamps I had purchased from Jegs as the guy didn't like the clamp design and he recommended not using them and just welding them in permanently...

'11 IS-F USBM, ML/Nav,

Last edited by ERDoc74; 10-31-2011 at 01:26 AM.
post #26 of 26 Old 10-31-2011, 03:52 AM
lowrider

^^^^That was really great that Paul diagnosed the problem over the telephone, a big Thumbs Up to him. It's also odd that your install guy didn't come clean with their mistake and let you spend more money trying to solve a problem they caused. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end

Lou

2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Wife's
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum > Lexus IS-F Discussion > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode