Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Discuss the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport

21K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Linkseal 
#1 · (Edited)

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
UTQG: 300 AA, A (All Sizes)

Click here for: Sizes, Specs, and Pricing on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Michelin’s Pilot Super Sport tire represents their latest racing technology. Designed for high performance vehicles
and summer driving, the tire excels at extreme dry and wet handling and traction. The Pilot Super Sport also stands
up well under constant handling demands, wearing up to twice as long as competitive brands. The tire is YR rated,
carries an XL load rating and is available in 17-inch to 22-inch sizes and 50 to 25 aspect ratios

TECHNOLOGY

Up to 12% better handling than leading competitors

- Inspired by the same engineering that has powered 13 consecutive victories at 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Up to 2x longer lasting than leading competitors

- Optimized through technology of Variable Contact Patch 2.0 and Twaron belt package for long even wear.

Better braking than leading competitors

- Bi-compound delivers excellent dry braking using LeMans-inspired compound on the outer shoulder and the latest generation of wet-oriented elastomers on the inner portion of the tread.

REVIEWS

**Tested** The New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Testing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport - MotorTrend

Review: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - Special Report - Road & Track

Customer Reviews

MEDIA
(click any image for video content)

If you are running the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, post your review here along with a picture or two – we, as well as Michelin, would love to read them.

***TECHNICAL BULLETIN 06/03/2011 from Michelin*** Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are designed, in specific dimensions, to replace the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tireline. Due to the improved performance of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, these products must not be mixed in any configuration or combination on the same vehicle.

See less See more
#4 ·
How do they compare to the Brudgestone Re-11's.?
Thanks
T

#5 ·
The RE-11 is more competition/performance based for someone who wants maximum dry grip and does the occasional Auto-X.

The Super Sport is more of an all-around summer tire and is classified as an ultra High Performance Sport Summer Tire. The Pilot Super sport may not grip quiet as well as the RE-11 but it will last longer and have superb handling.

#7 ·
^
The Michelin mail-in rebate is applicable to USA and Canada residents.

We ship VIA UPS and we charge all Canadian Tariff Fee's up front to ensure faster delivery tires and to guarantee no further charges to you once the packages arrive. The Tariff Fee per tire for passanger performance tires is only $40.00.

#10 ·
I got a set put on today. They hook up a lot better than the stock PS2s!!!

#16 ·
^
With the Super Sport being so new it's tough to accurately compare this model against another. However, spec wise, the Super Sport should offer more dry grip/traction along with better steering response. The Super Sport utilizes an XL carcuss while the DW, in most sizes, does not. The XL carcuss does help with response and allows one to dial in the best pressure for their needs.

#17 · (Edited)
XL = Extra Load. In any size an F owner would be interested in the Continental Extreme DW does indeed come with the XL rating. As far as steering response and grip/traction go, I can only go from my own experiences and say (in my plus size installation) and say that the DW is superior to the PS2 in these categories as well as in handling.

Lou

#19 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
I have about 600 miles on these tires which I did purchase my set through a local America's Tire (Discount Tire) store in my area. These tires are replacing the factory set of PS2's which I was able to get 35k miles from. I expect more out of these new PSS.

3/4 - Rear:

3/4 - Front

#21 ·
A couple questions, but mostly likely I'll be told to buy wider rims :S

1) Michelin web site shows the 275 width to fit a 9" to 10" rim. They make it in 30 and 35 profiles, but one is 2% larger and the other 2% smaller than stock. Which would be the better fit on our stock 19x9 rims?

2) Would the little bit extra width of the 275 be worth shoe horning it on the stock rims vs the 255 or 265? I really don't want to lose any handling performance at the track.

3) I know this contradicts the question above. They don't make a 285(which seems to work for the Cont. DW), but the 295 may fit... Anyone have some thoughts on this?

#35 ·
^^^^As I said, some members have had good luck with the 275s. The difference in OD between the three sizes is very small:

255/35/19 - 26" - stock size in PS2 or PSS
275/30/19 - 25.6" - for the PSS and 25.5" for the DW
285/30/19 - 25.7" - for the DW

Pretty small. You probably wouldn't notice the difference. All will work for you. Good Luck. Speedometer error is very very small.

Lou

#37 ·
I'm looking foward to hearing your experience with them and the sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.