Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Winter on stock wheels

15K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Flannsmith 
#1 ·
These look like the best bet for winter: Continental ExtremeContact DWS (from Tire Rack)

Anyone find other options for mild winter conditions?

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have the Blizzak LM-25s. I think they have been discontinued and replaced by a newer model. They are the European touring style winter tires.

They do okay in the snow, but aren't spectacular. If we have more than an inch of snow, I can't make it up the driveway without shoveling a bit. Also, they don't seem to like really deep slush.

However, in dry/wet conditions they handle pretty well for winter tires. Certainly better than I remembered with older snow tires.

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

#5 ·
My DWSs have served me well. They certainly are not a snow tire, but I have driven them without much trouble in several inches of snow a couple times. It all depends if you are able to feather the throttle or not. on flat ground in snow = a cake walk. The only difficulty is starting from a stop on a steep hill.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll get the DWS and be gentle in the snow. In Toronto the roads are dry 90% of the time, the snow tires would wear quickly with the long commute. This makes more sense.

The michelin tire looks great, but I'd be pushing my luck driving in snow/slush.

#7 ·
Bridgestone Lm60 are awesome
T

#9 ·
yes they do. they repalce the lm series

T

#10 ·
After pricing these out and then asking the dealer about installing them, the service rep honestly admitted the rims will likely get scarred taking the tires on and off. So it looks like a new set of wheels is needed for winter.

Problem: the options available are only in 38mm offset 19 8.5. Will these rub the fenders or wheel wells? Stock offset is 45 and 55 I think.

Other cheap wheel options? So far I've only been looking at tire rack.

#12 ·
I'd like to go 18" but I hear some don't fit over the the brakes. Which model did you choose? Also, was there a good way to tell what would fit? It looks like MSW uses the same 45mm offset as stock and tire rack stocks a lot of them :)

Thanks for the help.

#13 ·
I used the MSW Type 14 18" wheels. I talked to a salesperson at the Tire Rack and he assured me that the wheels would fit. They do require an adapter ring on the wheel itself as well as a different set of lug nuts.

If you want to see a picture of them on the car, I can try and post one tonight when I get home.

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

#17 ·
its called cambridge tire team, they have done other isf s in the past
I always hear about them when they arrive casue they are personal friends and do my car
let me know if u end up doing that so i can give them the heads up and tell them to make sure they dont f anything up lol

#19 ·
Vote for Continental DWS

Unless you live in the hot Southwest ... like me ... The Conti ExtremeContact DWS are amazing tires. Plus a long tread life, too.

Even though cars like the IS-F are unlikely to be used in heavy snow conditions, while the "S" is visible on the tread light-to-moderate snow can be conquered!

My son replaced the Bridgestones on his Mazdaspeed3 at 22,000 miles with the DWSs. Without changing his driving style the "S" is still visible after another 20,000 miles of Southeast and Midwest driving.

#23 ·
Unless you live in the hot Southwest ... like me ... The Conti ExtremeContact DWS are amazing tires. Plus a long tread life, too.

Even though cars like the IS-F are unlikely to be used in heavy snow conditions, while the "S" is visible on the tread light-to-moderate snow can be conquered!

My son replaced the Bridgestones on his Mazdaspeed3 at 22,000 miles with the DWSs. Without changing his driving style the "S" is still visible after another 20,000 miles of Southeast and Midwest driving.
I can vouche for the DWS's on the IS F as I had them on my stock rims and I cannot compliment these tires enough. Unfortunately, my purchase was short lived as about 800 miles later, I went with Vossens which called for 20 inch tires. If anyone is interested, let me know.

#20 ·
This is an informative thread, so I'll add my question to it rather than start another.

My experience with winter tires on my Mazdaspeed 3 is that they don't grip as well as summer tires. The ISF I'll be getting may come from a warm climate and not even have all-seasons. I don't want to risk damaging the wheels with twice yearly tire changes, so I'm looking at a Tirerack.com package with wheels, totaling about $1300. I can swap them myself in the garage. What do you think?

#21 ·
My experience with winter tires on my Mazdaspeed 3 is that they don't grip as well as summer tires. The ISF I'll be getting may come from a warm climate and not even have all-seasons. I don't want to risk damaging the wheels with twice yearly tire changes, so I'm looking at a Tirerack.com package with wheels, totaling about $1300. I can swap them myself in the garage. What do you think?
No new stock ISFs are delivered with All Season tires, all come with Max Performance Summer tires. Either Bridgestone RE050a or Michelin PS2. If you're buying used, then yes the former owner may have changed them to All Season.

As for dedicated Winter tires, yes, another set of wheels is the way to go. Many owners with dedicated winter wheels have used an 18" wheel with good success.

Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.