Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Need help with 18" rims

14K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  FBTO 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a set of rims that I can use for the track, but I want them to be 18"s and to be the right offset, and wider on the back.
Does anyone know who makes something like that.
The reason I want to go with the 18"s is that now one makes a track tire in our size, and there way more options if you go down a size.

#2 ·
I have researched the Hoosier DOT radials and they do offer a 235/35/19 and a 265/35/19 DOT race radial ! Those would be a blast!

Make a smart wheel decision for track wheels. Forged wheels can handle the g loads this car is capable of! That's why Lexus put them on the car. Cast aluminum wheels are not as strong as forged. If you want 18" track wheels, look around here:
www.forgeline.com

#3 ·
Thanks a lot FChampOH.
I called forgeline and they told me that they have nothing in 18" that they can guaranty me that it will fit, or clear the calipers.
Now in 19" he said that I can go even 1" wider to 10 on the back and 9 on the front, that sounds amazing if that is so, but at $4200 for the 4 rims, it will be a very expensive experiment if they don't fit properly.
My question is do you think they can be trusted as to what they are saying.
At the same time I still think it will be more practical to use a set of 18"s, they can have a dual purpose track and winter.
Thanks

#7 ·
Don't think you'd want to go with a 18 x 9 or 18 x 10 for winter, especially if you live in an area with lots of snow, you'll have less grip with wider wheels and tires, and it would be a hassle to constantly mount and dismount tires onto those wheels, once for winters, and once for track.

#4 ·
billx2, I will drive an IS-F to Forgeline so that they can make all of the measurements they need to on the car and the brake calipers. Maybe they can test fit while I'm there. You just let me know when you need it there! In fact, I might just take an IS-F to them to measure anyway! Sound good? Yes, 9" will fit the front and 10" will fit the rear. You can trust what they say, they have an excellent reputation in the 3 pc forged wheel market, especially with track wheels.

Doug

#8 ·
I have some excellent news! I took an IS-F to Forgeline wheel yesterday so they could make the appropriate caliper and clearance measurements. They pulled off a front and rear wheel to accomplish all of the measuring. This was a bone stock IS-F. I spoke with Dave Schardt, the president of Forgeline wheel while I was there and was able to negotiate some excellent discounts for the first few LexusF.com members who are looking for a properly built, offset and width set of track wheels. We all know there are less expensive wheels out there, but why risk your safety? I would stick with a forged wheel for the track. After all, Lexus chose a forged wheel as OE equipment.
Here is the e-mail I received from Dave Schardt-President of Forgeline Wheel:

Doug,

Thanks for bringing down the IS-F to measure. We knew the basic fitment for the car, but we now have all the information to make intelligent decisions on plus and minus fitments.

For customers wanting an 18” fitment for the track, we have a great solution. We can build an 18x9 for the front and an 18x10 for the rear, giving the car an extra inch on both ends. This mated with a TOYO R888 or Hoosier in a 245/35r18, 285/30r18 combination will give the car some awesome grip!

We can offer both our 3-piece and 1-piece wheels in this application, both fit with no issues.

I would like to make an offer to anyone on the Lexus IS-F forum that wants to try out a set of our 1-piece EV1R’s a significant discount of $1000. Regular price on the wheels is $4400, and I would be willing to give up to 3 sets away at $3400 if ordered by the end of April. Our 3-piece ZX3R will run $3800 in the correct sizes as we are giving away free titanium hardware until April 24th (a $400 value). If someone is interested in running the wheels as winter wheels as well, I would highly recommend the one piece wheel as 3 piece wheels do not hold well to road salt. Let me know if you need any more information or if there are any questions I can answer.

Best regards,

David Schardt
Forgeline Motorsports, LLC
3522 S. Kettering Blvd. Ste. A
Dayton, Ohio 45439

P: 937-299-0298 x305
F: 937-293-3935

Suppliers to:
2008 Grand-Am Rolex GT Champions

www.forgeline.com

There ya have it. In my opinion the EV1R 1 piece wheel is a bad-ass looking wheel! See it here: http://www.forgeline.com/products/c...n-series&seo_product_name=ev1r&large=1&asdf=0
The 3 piece version he referred to is here: http://www.forgeline.com/products/c...n-series&seo_product_name=ev3r&large=1&asdf=0

Forgeline can also outfit your new track wheels with Toyo or Hoosier competition tires!

Please remember that the set of wheels that Forgeline builds for you will be made to fit, proper offset, proper lug hole diameter and hubcentric. Feel free to call them with questions and don't forget to mention the LexusF.com Lexus of Dayton special discount!

Doug

#9 · (Edited)
Doug you are the man.
I just ordered the very first set of the EV1R 18", one piece gunmetal gray with the toyo 888.
Buddy please see if you can talk to David Schardt to speed up the process.
My first track day will be on the 29th this month, it will be awesome if I can get them by then.
David said that they might call you to test fit them on an IS-F
before they ship them, you will get to see them before me.:cool:
Thanks a million.
http://www.forgeline.com/products/c...n-series&seo_product_name=ev1r&large=1&asdf=0

#10 ·
BillX2,
That is awesome. This is the way things are supposed to work and I am glad I was able to help out. I have already spoke to Dave @ Forgeline and he's assured me that they will do their very best to meet your deadline. As I stated from the day I signed up here, I am here to help out and share as much knowledge as I can with you guys. Anyone else ready for a set of phat track wheels and tires??:D I will be glad to assist with test fitting the finished package.

Doug

#16 ·
Hey Doug, great work on getting the deal. I assume if I go for the EV1R 18" (18x9 and 18x10), my current winter tires (Mich. PS aplin) won't fit on them. Especially with a 18x10 back. They are currently running on my G-Spiders which I believe are 18x8 maybe? Also what winters would be available to run on the EV1R 18?

I might just sell my whole winter package, g-spider and wheels and go for this deal.

The sound of a 285 rear is getting me really excited!!

#20 ·
Thanks, it is my pleasure. Your 245 Alpin's would be a real stretch on a 9" wheel and I wouldn't even try it on a 10" wheel. (not to mention how funny a 245 looks on a 10" wheel!)

I am working on a proper 18" winter tire set up for staggered Forgeline EVR1's and will advise soon.

Those 285's are gonna look huge on the back! Over an inch wider than factory! :D

#19 ·
FBTO, if your a weekend warrior and just like to go to a driver's school once or twice a year and don't mind giving up some performance on street tires and OE wheels, your fine. The PS2's provide a high amount of grip for a street tire.
On the other hand, if you want to provide yourself with the ultimate experience from your IS-F on a road course, the widest wheel and tire combo you can squeeze in between the fenders with a competition tire is the way to go. You will be faster with the Forgeline/Toyo combo on the track than you will be with the OE wheels and PS2's, period.
Are you allowed to run track wheels/tires during your upcoming BMW challenge?

#21 ·
Any updates Doug. I need to sell my g spider winter package, it is like new with like 2000 kms on them. Paid $4200 Canadian for the wheels and tires and tire pressure gauges.

#24 ·
billandbill has a shiny new set of Forgeline EV1R's and Toyo track tires on the way to him! I took the initiative and drove and IS-F to Forgeline wheel for him and allowed them to measure the car for proper fitment back in early April and I am happy to say that Forgeline has shipped their first set of track wheels and tires for the IS-F to Canada! Here are the specs on the wheels:
18x9 front 19lbs 15oz and 18x10 rear 21 lbs. They have HUGE brake clearance and will handle HUGE g force loads. Contact Forgeline if you have a desire:D Maybe we can convince President of Forgeline Dave Schardt to carry the April discount into May!
Some pictures for your viewing pleasure during the test fit:

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.