Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Stock rear wheels with 285/295???

11K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  lowrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. Before I get harassed... I have searched, I have read, I just need this covered in a little greater detail.

To start off I have definitely decided to go with 245/35/19 on the front and 285/30/19 on the back. That said I would REALLY like to run 295/30/19 tires on the rear. Right now my top choice for rubber is the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires... NOT the DWS. I know this particular setup will work, and does with great success. Soo my primary questions are:
-Will the 295s work on the stock rim without any problems?
-If they won't work on these particular tires, are there others it will work with?
-If I run 295s on the rear, should the front still be 245 or should it go up to 255?

I read a thread, I believe on here, that a guy was autocrossing on his stock ISF rims running 305/30/19 Hankooks I believe.

#2 ·
No one gets harassed here :) Even if the topic has been covered I think the point of the forum is so you can chat with other owners and experts not just read about it. I'm sure someone here will have a helpful response for you soon.

#3 ·
Thanks... That's very much appreciated. I am by no means an expert when it comes to wheels, tires, offsets, diameters, etc. I need some people, who do know about all of this to help me make a great decision.
Just for referrence... I am planning on my setup consisting of a K&N Intake, Elite p/p Throttle Body, ExtrudeHone p/p Intake Manifold, PPE Headers, and either a JOEZ or ISS Forged exhaust. Soo, traction is going to be a serious issue, as it already is for a lot of you. Down the road I am also considering a kit for a 150 wet shot of NOS... Just in case. ;-) lol

#5 ·
Thanks jonjon, I appreciate the suggestion. I have been long since convinced of the K&N Intake for this car. Plus it's already installed. I'm hoping the car turns out to be pretty bad ass! =-) I'm after the most horsepower I can get. But either way I'm hoping to not get too much into opinions/debate of particular parts, in this thread at least (lol), that way I can figure out what to do about these tires.

#6 ·
I have never seen the 295/30/19 run on a stock ISF rear wheel, but I have seen the 305/30 that you mention, and it showed severe tire bulge. IMHO, the 295/30 would be too wide for the stock wheel. As most of you know, I believe I was the first to put the 285/30 Continental DW on my rear with great success. But, anything wider would be pushing it.

BTW, I'm running the Takeda intake and luving that too.

Lou

#7 · (Edited)
OK thanks. I considered the Takeda intake, it's functional and looks great, but chose K&N for the higher "claimed" horsepower. "Similar" numbers have been duplicated by independent testers. I haven't really done much research on the Takeda intake, as I have already chosen my destiny. lol

I'm also a little concerned about wheel weight... I'm sure I could search this but now I'm being lazy. =-) What are the stock wheel weights, and what are some great looking, lightweight, fairly "inexpensive" replacements that could run 305s? Sticking with 19 inch wheels. I'm a huge fan of Breyton GTS rims, but they are made to fit only a BMW bolt pattern which sucks! Is there something similar that fits our cars? I primarily ask bc I don't understand anything about offset and I wouldn't want to get something that won't fit.

#10 ·
#9 ·
Great! Thanks

#11 ·
Lou,

This might be a silly question but reference the 245/285 combo... Would you still run the recommend tire pressure that's recommended by Lexus for the oem 225/255 combo OR would you fill it a little higher/lower to compensate for the difference?

#12 ·
Thats crazy... I was just posting to you... lol

#14 ·
Great! Thanks again

#15 ·
I've got another question about the sizes. I'm going to go with the Continental EC DW tires... The rears are going to be 285/30/19. I WAS planning on 245/35/19 on the front, BUT I just realized there is almost a $50 difference between 245 and 235... Would there be any adverse effect running the 235/35/19 tires on the front with 285/30/19 on the rear combo... Or should I just suck it up and put the 245s on the front?

Also, what's the cheapest place to buy? Thanks

#17 · (Edited)
I didn't think Discount Tire sold the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires..!!?? I know they sell the DWS, but I'm needing the DW tire.

Any suggestions on the 235/245 fronts with 285 rears?

#19 ·
I bought my Continental DW at a Discount Tire store, so yes they carry the DW line. When I bought mine, there was a national backorder of the 245s, but the AM at the store I bought them from, got them for me in a week (connections is a good thing).

When changing tire sizes, one should never go down in load carrying capacity. The 225/40/19 stock tire has a max capacity of 1433 lbs (load range 93Y) the 235/35/19s have a capacity of 1356 lbs (load range 91Y) and the 245/35/19 have load capacities exactly the same as the 225/40 tire. Also IMO, since the 235 tire is shorter than the 245 tire it will make the front wheel gap appear to be larger. And again, IMO, the OD is a bit to small.

Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.