Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Wheel Chip

20K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  weaponX 
#1 ·
Well, only 2500 KM's and I've gotten a chipped wheel. I sent in this picture since I don't have a Lexus dealer in my town.

Lexus tells me that if it's a defect they'll cover it, but if it's rock damage they will not. They'll ship me a wheel, I send mine back and they bill me $3,000 if they determine it was rock damage.

What do you guys think? I haven't heard any bangs or have any reason to believe that I got a rock. Of the one gravel road I've driven on I didn't exceed 10 Km/hour.

C.

See less See more
#46 ·
It does not cover curb rash, only if it's bent or heavily damaged by potholes, nails, huge rocks or something that's on the road while you're driving.
When I was checking out the IS-F, I took one look at those wheels and said....this is trouble :D.

That's why when I did decide to get one, I purchased extra coverage --- which covers (among other things) paint chips & windshield chips.....but most importantly --- anything that happens to the wheels for 48 months. That includes curb rashes.

Basically, they told me that if the wheel is damaged or even scratched in any way, they'll replace it --- no questions asked. (I'm in Canada BTW)

Peace of mind.

Had too many curb rashes on my past cars to know that history likely will repeat itself.

#11 · (Edited)
Information for the record. I checked with a Lexus Dealership today and found out some interesting information.... The stock wheels for the ISF are not interchangeable from front to rear nor even side to side.... This means that if you have damage to the right front wheel, you must order a specific wheel to fit only the right front. On top of all this the price I was quoted for a front wheel from the dealership was $ 1630.30. for only one wheel.......WOW! Please watch those curbs!!!!

#13 ·
the wheel and tire does not cover cosmetic, only functional damage.
Check your local web for rim repair places, typicaly higher end dealerships have a guy on staff the does it while you wait and should not cost you more than 40 bucks.. in my honest opinion, leave it , shows character. plus if your luck is like mine rock ships are a way of life. Touch up paint helps:cool:

#14 ·
tf103chl,

Sorry about your wheel chip. For what it's worth, I recently had a guy here in L.A., CA repair my left rear wheel where I'd slightly scraped a curb in a couple places and I was blown away by how well he fixed it. You truly cannot see the damage anywhere on the wheel, no matter what light you're in or how closely you look. They even airbrushed another clearcoat over the color match at the end. Cost: $125.00.

I hope, for your sake, that you can find a local guy who does this near you. The $3k/wheel Lexus wants for these rims is absolute rape.

Hope this helps.

#19 ·
Sorry, I tried looking up the color code for you but can't find it. I can find it on all the vehicle colors but not the wheel color. I believe its a "gunmetal" color....

#20 ·
Lexus is raping us all with the replacement cost for wheels. You can get BBS RS-GT three piece forged for a grand each wheel that are better and lighter and stronger than the gunmetal samurai swords we roll on now. I'm waiting for the stock wheels to get beat up and rock chipped and curbed then I'm just going to get them replaced with a new tire package......I'm guessing another 30,000 miles!

#21 ·
Lexus is pricing the IS-F wheel based off of what it cost to have it made. The build quantity of IS-F factory wheels vs. aftermarket BBS RS-GT is HUGE. The IS-F wheel mold, front and rear wheel, was not inexpensive to make. If BBS was making as many IS-F factory wheels as they were aftermarket wheels like the RS-GT then the cost of the factory wheel would be similar to the cost of aftermarket wheel. In case everyone doesn't know, BBS IS making the factory IS-F wheel. Remember, the IS-F is a halo car. Not everyone can have one. Everything is special about it and comments like that are not helping the value of the car for any of the current IS-F owners. We put a set of RS-GT's on an IS-F because they offered more width and a better offset. They are not better or stronger. Check it out:

#22 ·
^^Specs on those FChamp?

#24 ·
Sick, I love the way the rear look with the lip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.