Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A  Forum banner

Everyday Tires

7K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff Taylor 
#1 ·
I know Champ said 235/35zr19 and 265/35zr19 tires will suffice for track. I was wondering if this is the same for everyday use as well.

#2 ·
I'd run a 40 series up front to keep the OD the same front to rear, like in a stock setup. I wouldn't stagger wheel diameters. IOW, 235/40/19 and 265/35/19.

I'm thinking of running those sizes when my tires wear out. The problem is, there a slim pickings as far as selection is concerned. I may put a 245/35/19 up front instead, but that's about .3" to short.

Ah, decisions:mad:

Lou

#3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of putting the Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S Plus 235/35ZR19 for the front and 275/35ZR19 for the rear. I'm a little worried about the clearance and if there would be a significant enough change in the speedo. There's also the 245/40ZR19 on the front as well. The rear size is really my concern I'm worried about rubbing as well.

#4 ·
235/35/19 is too short and 245/40/19 is too tall. 275/35/19 is also too tall, and as you said I'd be worrying about potential rub. However, from where I now sit, I believe I'll replace with PS2s in the 245/35/19 in front and 265/35/19 in back.

Lou

#7 ·
The problem with the OE tires is there 10k mile tires and for Summer. Which is fine if you live in an area where the climate doesn't drop below 40. Once you get down under 40 you will see significant tread wear. I dunno about the rest of you guys but I don't really feel like spending $1500-$2000 on tires every 6 to 8 months.

#11 ·
I went with a snow tire package for my F, which I guess should end up extending the wear on my summer tires. We don't get tons of snow here, but my previous experience with rwd and a/s tires in my 93 525i was less than successful. I got stuck in a parking spot once :mad:

Hopefully with traction and stability control, you will get along okay with the all season tires.

Good luck!

Jeff
08 Smoky Granite Mica IS-F

#13 ·
I will also need a snow tire package as well. Living in Toronto we get TONS of snow, so hopefully with the summer/winter tire packages I'll sort of 'save' money and tread, but probably it evens out, who knows.

That's a part of the reason why I'd stick with OE sizes, but to each their own. :)

#12 ·
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are made for light snow. After an inch or two you'll have a hard time getting around in the F anyway since it's only a few inches off the ground. We don't get much snow here but when we do it's usually pretty bad. The problem like I said a few posts ago it's the temp in the area. All winter it's 40 degrees and lower which kills the OEM tires. The tons of salt DOT throws on the road doesn't help. I'd go with winter tires but then I'd have to worry about two sets of tires at that point which isn't worth it for me. The last time I looked at winter tires the Lexus dealership quoted me $1400 for winter tires and I just laughed.

#15 ·
I wouldn't want to use my OEM rims as winter rims, unless I purchase a set of summer rims that would be more expensive than the OEMs, so probably I'd just buy a set of relatively 'garbage' rims that look decent and slap the winters on that. I was thinking the exact same tire though, the Blizzak LM-25s, but I'm tempted to get them in a size smaller, in 18s, so that there's more bite in the winter with a thinner contact patch as well.

#18 ·
I got a set of MSW rims ($126/ea) and LM-25s in 225/45/18 all around. It has worked pretty well so far, it certainly does as well or slightly better than my 04 TL with all season tires. The ride is slightly better too with the bigger sidewalls. I'm sure handling is a lot worse, but I don't really want to push it with the snow tires anyway :)

Jeff
Would 255s in the rear be better? Or just go 225 all around for better bite in the rear tires? Just that with 225s in the back, the car would look kinda weird. But I guess functionality over looks, haha.

#19 ·
Would 255s in the rear be better? Or just go 225 all around for better bite in the rear tires? Just that with 225s in the back, the car would look kinda weird. But I guess functionality over looks, haha.
Usually narrower tires do better in the snow, AFAIK. This is the package that was recommended for the IS-F.

I suppose it would look better with the wider tires, but I decided to go with the recommended package for maximum winter performance.

Good luck,

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.